“A Halifax icon is both comfy and scenic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel

Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Halifax, Canada
“A Halifax icon is both comfy and scenic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel often when it was The Sheraton. this was the first stay since it became a Marriott property. We were pleased with the experience.
The main integrity of the building remains, however it is clear that it has an updated decor in the public areas as well as in the rooms.
The front desk staff were helpful and considerate.They noted and arranged for all requests: such as early check-in time,king bed. It was also noted that this was an anniversary celebration. It appeared that they took this into account when they selected the assigned room. It was a king room on the 4th floor with a combined harbor and historic property view.
The room was particularly appealing in it's design. It followed the Hansard roof lines
resulting in a dormer window and architectural wall angles...not your standard square box
room. The linens and furniture were predominantly gold providing a calm,restful ambiance.
the combination of special views and ambience on the beautiful Halifax waterfront made the
stay very enjoyable. There is no better location in the City.
Room service was a must-do. It was good food, good value and timely in it's arrival.
While the hotel is a little pricey, you really get what you pay for in this property. It is recommended to visitors and Haligonians alike. as an added bonus, The Cow ice cream parlor is just 30 feet away

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
San Juan, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

A very well-located property, it's a case of truth in naming, right on the waterfront. However be aware that due to the configuration of the building only a minimum of rooms will actually provide harbor views, the next-best thing are those overlooking the Historic Properties, but by far the majority will look out to nearby office buildings, across to the other wing of the hotel, or over the freeway exit.

Was there attending a business meeting and the facilities were quite good for our needs. From what they told me at the front desk, they have recently switched their WiFi to complimentary service which is a great convenience for the business traveler, however the room lacks another detail I prefer in business hotels, which is a room safe. Being a Silver level member in Marriott Rewards gets you a freebie at the Starbucks so you don't have to feel odd getting something from there whebn there's a Tim Horton down the block.

On my time off from business, the location made for ease in exploring the waterfront and its attractions, which is a very good thing when visiting a place like Halifax. Elevated covered walkways connect to Casino Nova Scotia and across the freeway to the business/shopping district. The on-site pub seems to have a quite lively scene on the weekend and the entire surrounding area certainly does, so as others have mentioned it can get a bit noisy weekend late nights. The hotel does seem to alternate between primarily tourists on weekends and more of a business-meeting crowd during the workweek.

The rooms and bathrooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed for its price class but nothing to knock you back, either. The service was up to expected Marriott standards, but it's the site location and the access to the Halifax downtown that are this property's outstanding strengths.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JRDelirious
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Very friendly staff, my husband has had to stay for business for 6 months off and on and was always commenting on the wonderful staff and cleanliness. The only negative if there was one is the town can be a little noisy on friday and saturday nites and if your trying to get a good nite sleep, have ear plugs..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

The service was good here and everyone went out of their way to make the five day stay comfortable. The Concierge lounge was mediocre at best. The selection of liquor was poor as were the hors doerves that were offered. Comfortable chairs are lacking in this lounge as is a nice view of the harbor. Room service was extremely expensive. My room was very comfortable. No upgrade was offered even though I am a Platinum Rewards member.

Room Tip: Marriott Rewards did not help here.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
halifax NS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

im a local from halifax but stayed here as part of an agent incentive , this hotel is always a charmer as it is right on the water and it is close to downtown as can be and is conencted to a mall by pedway and also to the casino.. this used to be the old sheration ... it has been redone and nice and the lobby was nice and staff was nice and check in was good they have a pool hottub and spa and gym there are board and banquet rooms as well.. overall a nice hotel with nice views and i would and have booked clients to stay here .. it is one of few hotels that are directly on the water parking can be expensive as it is all over town there is a hertz car rental in hotel as well ....

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

A few months before the wedding, I contacted the Marriott to secure a group rate to offer our out of town guests. We chose the Marriott because our wedding reception was at Casino Nova Scotia, so this hotel would be within close walking distance from our reception. We booked a block of 15 rooms and were given a group rate of $192 + tax/night for the regular rooms. I also requested a quote for the Junior Suite for 2 nights, the first night for me to stay with my bridal party and the second night for myself and my husband. I was given a rate of $369 + tax/night (no special rate). Keep in mind there is no breakfast whatsoever (even continental) included in these prices.

We also booked a block of rooms at the Delta Barrington which is very close and were given a group rate of $149 + tax/night. Given the difference in price, the vast majority of our guests booked their rooms at the Delta Barrington.

A few weeks before the wedding, my best friend told me that they had missed the cut-off to book using the group rate, however her fiance had just called and got an even better rate of $169 + tax/night. She said it was because he is a member of the Marriott Rewards program, but did not use any points for this reservation it was just the rate they gave him upfront. We happened to be eating at Baton Rouge that evening which is just across the street so we went over to inquire how someone would get a rate much lower than our group rate. The 2 ladies working the front desk had no idea what we were talking about and insisted he must be using points or a corporate rate. When we got home I went online and found on their website, they were offering a Marriott Rewards offer for $169+tax/night/. It wasn't hidden anywhere, when you went to book a room, it was provided as one of the options. So really, our guests could have gotten a $30 savings rather than a $7 savings (group rate) just by signing up for a rewards card (free of charge). I also found that the price of the Junior Suite had gone down to $349+tax/night. I e-mailed the Group Rooms Coordinator and she adjusted the rate of the Junior Suite for us but I never heard back from her when I expressed my dissatisfaction regarding the rate of the standard rooms.

Upon check-in we were asked for a credit card, which was expected for incidentals. They mentioned they would be holding the full price of the room on my credit card, to which I was shocked. Both my husband and I have travelled quite a bit for work and have never had the price of the room held on a credit card. I was also informed later by our guests that they had to give a damage deposit of $250.

When we were finally ready to go to our room, we had to wait 5-7 minutes for the elevator as there was only 1 elevator working. The gentleman helping us with our luggage said the others had been broken for quite some time.

The Junior Suite was nicely appointed with modern decor but very small (not much more square footage than a standard room). We also overlooked the Lower Deck (local bar) which was very loud on both nights. Our parents stayed at the Delta Barrington and said their standard rooms were huge compared to our suite.

Almost 2 weeks later, I received a settlement via e-mail from the Marriott Harbourfront and noticed $11.49 was charged to my credit card for a movie. We were there for our wedding, I can assure you we did not watch a movie. I called the Marriott Harbourfront to let them know of the error and the gentleman put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back to tell me that it was actually a music station that had been on for a few hours. I asked for clarification because that didn't make sense to be charged for music, and he said it was ordered through the television and that was all he could tell me. He was not apologetic at all and basically spoke to me like I was trying to pull some sort of scam for $10. I spoke to everyone who was in the room that night and my sisterturned on the television, but saw nothing about confirming an order. When you order anything on a television, everyone knows it shows the charge and asks you several times to confirm before actually allowing you to order a service. It's my belief the hotel is not making this clear so you don't know you're ordering a service with a hefty charge when you turn on the television.

We were also charged for 2 days of valet parking when we didn't even have a vehicle on site the first day.

Hotel prices in Halifax are inflated as it is, but the Marriott Harbourfront is absurd. What we paid for 2 nights in the Junior Suite would have paid for flight & hotel to Las Vegas for 1 person. We greatly regret our decision to stay there and promote it to our guests.

Room Tip: Room 485 overlooks the bar and is very loud on the weekends.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nhiscock
nova scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Have stayed here several times previously, most recently 31July11; time to submit a review!.

We had a King room on 3rd Floor South Corridor; room was very well appointed but did miss having a fridge. Large, clean and our view was not Harbourfront, but we weren't here to spend time in our room,. No balconies.

Great location on the Halifax Waterfront, adjacent to Historic Properties and the Waterfront Boardwalk. Connected by Pedway so in inclement weather you can access much of downtown Halifax - very nice. A short walk streetside or via pedway as well to Casino Nova Scotia, where we parked for the night. Hotel has Valet and underground parking, but at a premium!

Hotel has a nice restaurant ($$$) and is home to the Fife & Drum Pub serving up lively atmosphere over the weekend and good pub fare.

Very nice pool and jacuzzi - you can get pool side access rooms but just bear in mind you will be woken up early with the kids in the pool. Nice that in the evening during the last hour of opening, it is reserved for adults only.

Hotel has the Interlude Spa on the second level and a coffee shop on the main level. There is in room coffee provided complimentary - made cup by cup. This cannot be less expensive than the little carafes that brew 2/3 cups at a time. Coffee was good which I cannot say for most in room makers. Room had large screen TV with a sleep timer!

Check in is 3pm; we requested an early check in when we reserved as we knew we would be arriving around noon. We were very fortunate with it being a holiday weekend and busy that they were able to accommodate our early check in request. Check out is 11am.

Will definitely return to the Marriott - price was right and a fab location.

If you are looking for a unique city tour, take the 55 minute long Harbour Hopper Tour; leaves from Purdy's Wharf on the Waterfront and costs approx $26 per adult. Part of the tour is based on land (see downtown Halifax, go up Citadel Hill) and then you go into the water on this amphibious vehicle to see the sights from the Harbour...some interesting facts are shared as well by enthusiastic tour guides.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple