“GREAT VENUE FOR BUSINESS EVENTS”

Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to commend you and your staff on the impeccable service that we received during our recent stay for a sales event at the Harbourfront Marriott.

Planning such an event from a distance is never an easy undertaking; Keltie Daigle made sure that all our requests were handled promptly and professionally. She even suggested a change of venue to make our lunch service more accommodating.

Jeff Salterio and his team were outstanding! We bring 6 large displays in for our workshops as well as two larges crates of equipment. Our experience has typically been that we unload and transport our equipment to the event room ourselves….not the case in your hotel! We had all hands on deck and plenty of assistance making our set up go much more quickly. Any requests were handled promptly and efficiently. Jeff made sure our group had refreshments as we completed our setup; he provided us with restaurant suggestions and contact information….and offered to make our reservations for us.

On the day of our event, Todd Silver was a constant presence ensuring that each detail was in place……Pat Bentley made sure our breakfast and breaks were served promptly. Each staff member on duty made a point of asking if everything was going well and if they could get anything for us.

At the end of event….Jeff’s team again assisted with taking our displays and crates down to the loading dock. A special request for separate billing was addressed immediately.

Our team travels regularly with our Controls Roadshow. We have had good service in the past but your staff definitely shines! It is rare to see such enthusiasm and attention to detail from each and every individual in an organization……keep up the great work!

1  Thank butternut_gc

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel in mid-August as part of a wedding group. Our friends were getting married at this hotel, and for convenience, we elected to stay on-site. The Delta across the street had more competitive rates, which the hotel would not match. This includes the "group discount" that we were receiving as part of the large wedding group. In my experience, these "wedding deals" are never such, and having been through this before with another wedding, I've grown to dislike the facade that the hotels try to pull over their guests. Just be honest, don't pretend to cut the price- it puts people off before they even arrive. I understand that this is an industry-wide practice, and I won't necessarily hold that against this hotel on it's own.

With that out of the way, I will move onto the positives about this hotel. Our room was nicely furnished with the standard bed, club chair, desk and bathroom. It was a typical Marriott room, very clean and nothing appeared tired or worn. We had a side-view of the harbour which was also a nice treat. This was our first time at the east coast, and the view from our room every morning really captured the beauty of the harbour. Initially, we were booked into a room with 2 double-beds, although we had requested a king bed upon booking. The front desk staff was very rude when we asked that our room reflect our request upon booking. I had already read previous negative reviews about the front desk staff, and I was hoping that our experience with them would be better than what others had encountered. They had a very abrupt approach and their responses were very robotic as if they didn't even care. If I'm spending upwards of $300/night, I'd like to stay in a room that has a bed that is at least equivalent to my own at home. We sleep on a queen normally, so I plainly stated that the double wasn't going to cut it. I don't care how small we are, I wasn't having any of it. Call me a diva, but this is the 21st century... time for them to get with the times. Why have only doubles or kings? Seems ridiculous to me. After some pressure, they accommodated our request, but it wasn't without the feeling that they were doing me a HUGE favour.

The hotel amenities were good. We used the hot tub in the pool area nightly. It was rarely busy after dinner. We also went to the casino on a few occasions, and the indoor bridge which connected the hotel to the casino was convenient. Also, the hotel lobby had a flavoured water stationed which another family member discovered part way through our stay. We enjoyed this on many occasions after a nice walk on the pier. The hotel's location is by far it's best feature. It is right in the centre of the action. Although we were visiting for a wedding, we also spent a lot of time exploring downtown Halifax. Cows icecream is a must-try when you visit, as well as a dinner at Salty's. If you get to Salty's early enough, you can get a table by a window. We had lobster there, and also at the Seafood Warehouse. Both were good, but Salty's was our favourite. Murphy's serves a tasty lunch- try the lobster dip. Of course, we also took a trip to Peggy's Cove- what a beautiful place to see. I loved it more than I could have expected. We rented a car for the day via the rental shop in the hotel. While there we also took the Harbour Hopper Tour for a quick history lesson about Halifax.

The wedding was beautiful. My friend used the hotel wedding coordinator and was very pleased with the organization and presentation of the event. The dinner was fabulous! My favourite part was the Seafood Chowder - best I've ever had! I was very impressed with the wedding!

Overall, a good trip to the east coast! For airport transfers we used Adams Limo and Taxi Services. They were wonderful. I found them online, arranged the details over the found, and everything was seamless. Our driver was so friendly- we were happy to start and end our trip with him. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their services to friends or family in the future :)

Room Tip: Confirm your sleep options ahead of time, and if possible, confirm these details in writing. Double...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CMAC84
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Very beautiful hotel. Slightly over-priced, but you are close to everything and the hotel is quiet. Parking fees are HIGH - but it is in a parking garage instead of on the street - so it's worth it.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor - harbourview.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice hotel , good location ... added parking costs seemed unnecessary

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed on the business level and had a partial view of the water - looking directly at the lower deck bar. My room was close to the elevator, which I like because it can be quite a walk to your room depending on where you are staying

Positives: clean and large room with comfortable bed. Internet included in the business rate as well as calls in north America. Nice touch if you are traveling and need to stay in contact with the office and home. The rate is more but with both of these perks, with the extra $10 to have this room category. The front desk staff was pleasant and check in was quick. As stated before, you are within walking distance to a number to restaurants and sites so take a walk down the pier. Well with it

Negatives: Internet not included in basic room - really, in this day nd age, this should be complementary. Also, parking is an extra $20 per day. I realize that this is probably on par with other parking charges however I font it ridculous that you have to pay to park at the hotel you are staying at

The ice machine wasn't woes king on my floor so I had to head to the fourth floor for ice. Not s huge deal I guess but since there is fridge in the room, the drinks and snacks I bought aren't going to keep unless they are chilled. Maybe my mistake for assuming there would be one but again, really? Adding a small frige would be a great addition

Also, dont be fooled by the water in your roo. The first small bottle is free but the second s a whopping $5.50. Ouch

Overall pleased with this hotel. I would give it 5 stars if not for the fridge and parking. Check for Internet specials for a better deal

Room Tip: Ask for close to the elevator or you could pay extra for a water view - save the money and explore s...
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I've stayed at the Marriott a few times on business, and have never written a review until now. I stay at the Halifax Marriott on business as it is a great downtown/habourfront location. It is within easy walking distance to all of the harbourfront attractions and many great restaurants.
The hotel itself is about a low 4; it is a low rise 2 tower hotel that has been renovated. The rooms are a good size, but because it is a low rise hotel, don't expect that great of a view.
During my recent stay in mid-March, it was a comedy of errors with the room key. The front desk couldn't program my key to allow me access to both the concierge lounge and my room; it was one or the other. Since I needed my room, I gave up on the lounge, even though it was included in the room rate. The front staff was apologetic, but didn't go out of their way to accommodate me. The service overall is very good, including valet and room service.
The pub inside the hotel is a great spot to grab a drink after a long working day and has pub snacks.
I will be staying at the Marriott again; my company gets great rates and I love the location, especially if I'm traveling alone.

Room Tip: high floor in highest tower (can't remember which direction that is)
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The location is second to none. Right in the heart of downtown - if you intend on enjoying the local night life the Mariott is ideal to stay. I got the room off Priceline for a fraction of the cost. The lobby, hallways, and rooms had an excellent decor - very up to date, classy place to stay. Pool was spectacular, and the weight room was sufficient for any type of workout.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple