“Great Customer Service. Hockey Teams Not so Nice!”

Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Calgary, Canada
“Great Customer Service. Hockey Teams Not so Nice!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My daughter and I stay at a hotel 4 times a year for a girls night away. Check in was one of the best experiences I have had at a hotel. I wish I remembered the front desk womans name but she welcomed us with a huge smile, told us all the information we may need about our room and the hotel. Great experience. Our room had direct access to the pool which we thought would be great for swimming and to sit outside our sliding doors to do crafts on the table directly in front of our room. We went swimming and had a great time, pool was very clean and not too cold. We went and toured downtown Halifax and bought some crafts to do back at the hotel. After returning to our room we were going to sit out on the pool deck at the table in front of our door but it was gone, someone had taken the table and chairs. Not a huge deal we did crafts in the room but it didn't take long for 2 hockey teams to take over the entire floor playing hockey in the halls and running thoughout the halls all day into the evening. There was a very small child with his room number written on a piece of paper roaming the halls looking for his room. Shame on these parents. The loudness in the hallways was ridiculous, not enjoyable for anyone.This is no fault of the hotel just lousy parenting.
We ordered room service for dinner, food was excellent and delivered hot at a great cost. The beds were very comfortable and room was spotless. We woke up in the morning to a family having breakfast at the table outside our room at 8am. Quite the surprise to open the curtains and have a family literally 2 inches away from your door starring in your room at you.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for customer service, food and location. I would not recommend a pool access room as it is VERY loud which travels right into the rooms. The pool is open at 8am to 11pm.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are incredibly loud. We were expecting some noise from the pool to travel in our r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jennifer G
HalifaxMarriott, Manager at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Jennifer,
I'm delighted to hear that you and your daughter found our service, food and check-in experience exceeded your expectations.
I am however, sorry to hear that the noise from the pool and hallway disrupted your special mother-daughter get away. We expect and request that guests are respectful of the hotel being a shared space, but if that is not the case, we are prepared to deal with a situation quickly and reinforce the expectation.
Thank you for your compliments on the comfy bed and cleanliness of your guestroom. Overall, I hope you and your daughter enjoyed your time together and appreciate you choosing to stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Montague, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel has the most amazing staff!! I stayed the night with my 7 year old daughter and I told the waiter that night at dinner that it was her first time at a hotel and she loved being fancy... After dinner and a swim we returned to our room and were amazed that the staff left her a bed night snack of cookies chocolate milk a lobster teddy bear and a thank you card for choosing their hotel for her first stay. Top notch! Thank you to that waiter that I'm not sure of his name. You know it's a great spot when a 7 year old says everyone is sooo nice.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Brenda M
HalifaxMarriott, Public Relations Manager at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful experience with us! We have amazing associates who are always looking for ways to go above and beyond to ensure our guests are not only comfortable and able to make themselves at home, but who are also presented with unforgettable memories and experiences. We look forward to you and your daughter's return!
Rhodes Corner, NS
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great staff, clean, a cut above average, restaurant okay, but everything else very good, and connection to pedway and many other spots is a huge bonus. The breakfasts were excellent, but we had lunch one day and it was so/so. My pear and pecan salad was a massive bed of arugula, 4 little slices of pear and maybe a teaspoon of nearly ground pecans. It was fresh and tasty but way too much greens, and way to little of anything else. The music is very loud, over your head, and even when we asked to have it turned down, it was still very loud. And it is not at all music that is conducive to eating, it is more like a bar. Other that that, we were very pleased.

Room Tip: Look for a package, they have great ones.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Wonderful location, on the boardwalk allowing for long walks along the water. We paid the extra for a water view and had windows facing the water on two sides. Beautiful view of Dartmouth and were able to watch the ferry travel back and forth. We chose a memory foam bed and it was superb.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue E
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

my 2nd time staying at the Marriott Harbourfront. Very impressed with the lobby renovations. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Fantastic service. Location is great, even for a winter visit there were lots of things to do in the immediate area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Harbourfront on business. The lobby is great and had a warm welcome upon arrival. Service was great and dining option downstairs is ok. Centrally located and walking distance to all amenities. Room was a good size however I was quite bothered by the bed and mattress itself. The sheets did not fit properly and kept flipping off the corners and exposed an old mattress cover which no one wants to ever see. Minor issue but the larger pillows they put on the bed reeked so bad that I'm surprised anyone would ever want that on their bed period. I suggest making minor adjustments or actually changing pillow covers for each guest. My room was on the 4th floor and was actually next to the utility room. Both mornings I was woken up by the door slamming open and shut. Sound barriers could be improved. Still a good stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HalifaxMarriott, Manager at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are so sorry that your experience here with us was not up to our standard of service, due to noise levels coming from nearby and the quality of our bedding. We pride ourselves on providing unbeatable service to our valued guests, and never like to hear about anyone leaving any less than 100% satisfied with all aspects of their stay.

We will be further investigating this matter to see that this noise situation doesn't repeat itself. In speaking with the Director of Housekeeping Services, she has provided some feedback. Marriott is presently in the process of introducing new bedding standards which will eliminate all large square pillows. We are in the process of implementing the new bedding at our property which will provide a more standard pillow rather than the decorative ones presently on the beds.

On the other hand, we are glad to hear that other than this issue, you enjoyed our Hotel and found it welcoming. We do hope to see you again!
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was travelling to Halifax on business. The hotel itself is well located, very close to downtown amenities, etc. The lobby is very nice and they also have a Starbucks on-site and what looks like a nice restaurant. The hotel is cute although it seems a little outdated. I have stayed at nicer hotels before but my room was comfortable and had a great view of the water.

Unfortunately the reason this hotel loses points for me is because my heat wasn't working properly. Over the two days I stayed there, temperatures in Halifax were well in the minus teens and my room was often chili. I had to crank the heater up to 27 degrees Celsius and the system was just blowing air that was not warm enough to heat up the room. Event though I put the heat at 27 it felt like 19-20 degrees. Also, the free Wi-Fi did not work for me. Being there for business, it was crucial that my Wi-Fi worked properly. I had two laptops and my smart phone, and unfortunately the wired internet only powered one device at a time. I spent 20 minutes with guest services trying to fix it, and when they did, it was only temporary. By the afternoon the next day I had lost my Wi-Fi connection again and simply gave up because I didn't feel like spending another 20 minutes on the phone with guests services.

The service overall was fantastic. They really lived up to their friendly east-coast reputation. Any time I had an issue they were willing to assist, and the front desk, bell man, and service staff were friendly at all times. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about the service at this hotel.

I would certainly consider staying at this hotel again, it just happened to be unfortunate that I ran into these issues during my stay that made it just average.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Debra S, Manager at Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you were provided here at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront, I will ensure your review is shared with all associates. I am disappointed to hear that you did not have the internet service or heating that you required in order to make your stay perfect. Internet is certainly a must have in this day and age so I will ensure this is addressed immediately. Thank you again for taking the time to provide a detailed review and I do hope to see you again in the near future.