“Canada Day Visit”

Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We were here for 2 days, one being Canada Day July 1st. Service was great, included buffet breakfast was a big plus. Hotel is located on the waterfront for easy walking to these areas. The fireworks for the celebration were shared on the back deck with others, which worked well.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I arrived at this hotel, but had mistakenly booked in at a different Marriott in the city. The staff took care of it and switched the reservation, which was great, and didn't take long at all. The hotel was clean and the rooms were clean. The pool opened kind of late, but the gym was open early and not very busy. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank islandgirl710
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Staff were great. I used the online check in before a cross country red eye and they were able to have a room ready upon arrival. Room was spacious and bed was extremely comfortable. Went for a walk along the water and enjoyed the Cows famous ice cream next door. There is a little harbour ferry close by if you need to get to Dartmouth. For our meetings, fantastic catering and exceeded our needs. So refreshing to have nature views and not be tucked away in a room with no windows. Meeting facilities were excellent. As an aside, found a covered pathway to the casino. Was a nice surprise and had some fun. I would stay again

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ldewit7
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a great hotel a block from the casino, right on the harbour next to dozens of restaurants and shopping. It's not cheap but it is very convenient. The hotel has recently been renovated so it boast a very modern lobby, conference rooms and restaurant/bar. My room faced the front of the hotel so my view was limited but if you pay the premium the views are spectacular. Breakfast was good but pricey. Starbucks is in the hotel lobby which was a bonus. The bell man bring in a part of the Nova Scotia heritage by wearing the traditional Scottish kilt uniform. I think the hotel should be commended for keeping old world traditions alive. I have to say that all the staff was very efficient and very friendly. My room was lovely, very comfortable king bed, coffee in the room. All the extras you should expect from a Marriott. My only complaint was the room doors. None of them are buffered!!!Every time someone closes a door to their rooms it slams so hard it would wake the dead. I was awake both mornings by 5am. There is also no caulking around the door so the hall light filters through all around the door creating an annoying light during the night. I was disappointed they moved the harbour front restaurant to the lobby. Last time I was there I enjoyed the view while having breakfast. I will return hopefully the doors will be fixed!

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the elevators away from street traffic. It can be a long walk other wise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in a “suite” at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel for four nights while visiting for a graduation. The first impression when entering the hotel is its open-concept and modern feel – a bit on the cool side, but spacious. The check-in was quick and staff was friendly. We had booked a “suite with king and sofabed” so I was really looking forward to a sweet room with a view of the Halifax harbour!
Imagine our surprise when we opened the drapes to look across at other hotel rooms! Gong!
Unknown to us at the time of booking, and not revealed to us upon check-in, was that the hotel is in the shape of a U and we were on one inside tower side of the U. The very top of the U faces the harbour, so from our suite (which was deep in the U) we had a sideways glimpse of the harbour - not so sweet.
Looking around the room, there was no sofa - per our reservation - but two chairs instead. Looking at the bed, it reminded me of a stuffed lady whose clothes had become a bit too small and a bit too worn! The duvet looked as if it was a queen size plunked upon the king bed. And the fitted sheet below was so painfully stretched that much of the naked mattress was exposed.
We immediately reported these concerns and, to their credit, the management responded immediately. The linen was changed, a second suite with sofa was offered and our bill was reduced. As we were informed that none of the suites had a view of the harbour, we decided not to change rooms! Go figure how any hotel could be designed without the suites having the sweetest view!
A bit dated, the room itself was of moderate size with a little breakfast nook with fridge, plenty of counter space and eating area - a great space for organizing my camera equipment. As is typical with more “mature” properties, we could hear the hallway noise clearly, as well as the graduation celebration in a nearby room one night, until management intervened at around 2:00 a.m.
The hotel definitely has one of the best locations – it’s right on the harbourfront and boardwalk, convenient to the ferry, shops and great restaurants and is in walking distance to many of the other Halifax attractions.
The staff (doormen, front desk, waiters and housekeepers) were very friendly, and the management responsive and efficient. The hotel is in a great location. All that's missing is for the suites to have a sweet view!
Fire the architect!

Room Tip: Skip the suite and just get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carlos S
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is located on the water, next to the casino and on a boardwalk along the water that offers exquisite scenery (an island lighthouse as a terrific background for pictures on a sunny day), the "must-visit" Maritime Museum, quaint and interesting shops and many restaurants. At the opposite end of the boardwalk from the Marriott is the pier for cruise ships. About the hotel: terrific scenery if your room faces the water, very accommodating service, larger rooms that the typical Marriott. In other words, a little nicer than most full-service Marriotts. Downsides: The food is so-so. Perhaps my expectations exceed Marriott's abilities, but so often I have been disappointed in Marriott restaurants and even banquet foods - not bad, but not anything outstanding or exciting - just very ordinary. The other issue is transportation from the airport. This issue is not unique to this hotel, but rather a general statement about Halifax. There is a bus service from/to the airport that is reasonable ($22) but the times do not necessarily tie to schedules for multiple flight arrivals and departures. It worked for my arrival, but for my 7:30 AM departure, I would have had to leave the hotel at 3:30 AM and wait at the airport for 3 1/2 hours. So I took a taxi ($75 with tip). If you are going to Halifax either for business or pleasure, you could not ask for a better located hotel, and you always can eat elsewhere as there are many nearby restaurants on the boardwalk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank valleyconsultant
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was here for a recent conference. The rooms were spacious and the cleaning staff did a very good job. I had a road facing room and could occasionally hear traffic. I was also on the lounge access floor. The lounge was ok, not all the great. The breakfast was a little on the spartan side and there were no weekend hours. I did not use any of the hotel restaurants are the hotel is so near many great places to eat. My only experience with the hotel food was the lounge, great cookies, and catering at our events for coffee breaks. I did enjoy a lot the fresh fruit that they had and was very glad to see that, a welcome change from typical catering foods. Check was fast and the staff was polite, had a great sense of humor, and was able to quickly meet my needs. All in all this was a good place to stay. It is on the waterfront and there is access to the entire city. I did not have a car and did not need one. The pedway also connects you to the shopping mall. On a rainy day this is a dry way to head out to a lot of fast food places for lunch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business