“A Little Downhill”

Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Saskatoon, SK
“A Little Downhill”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I'm torn about leaving a review anything less than great, since my first stay with the PG was so wonderful. I'm sad to say the second trip just didn't live up to the first experience.There were definitely some great parts to the stay, but there were some areas for improvement as well.

I attribute this partly to timing. There was construction happening in the lobby - mostly completed, but still a few things underway. And the city was busy - a running event finishing up the day I checked in, as well as the royal visit. I don't know how much impact these had, but it's possible.

I stayed in an executive suite - I actually requested (and was given) the same one I stayed in several months before, when I was married at the PG. It was beautiful. Unfortunately there were some pretty enthusiastic guests on the same floor, and I didn't get a lot of sleep that night. I didn't say anything to the hotel - I figure this can happen anywhere, and what's one night? However, things went downhill a little the next day when I realized I could hear a lot of pounding (I am guessing related to the constuction) despite being on the 4th floor.

Later, I discovered there was zero water pressure for the (jacuzzi) tub. This was the real reason I'd booked this room type. I called the desk, someone came and took a look and determined it was a maintenance issue. (I'm only guessing that to clean the tub, no water is required, which is why it wasn't caught before I checked in or that morning?)

I was offered another room, which I took. I moved myself and my bagsdown two floors to a new suite with a working tub. This was great at first - until 6am when the alarm the last guest had set woke me up. It may be a small pet peeve, but I really wish housekeeping would check the alarm clock when cleaning rooms after check outs (in all hotels). The good news is this meant I was already awake when the construction noise began, directly below my room, before 8am. And I was wide awake and alert when I hopped into the shower and discovered lots (and lots) of mold in the ceiling tiles.

I was pretty disappointed - and did mention the mold to the front desk when I checked out. I'm fairly easy going and am not the kind of person to kick up a stink or demand compensation for a dirty room (or being bounced around) - but it would have been nice had they offered.

All of this said - there were highlights. I did have a knock on my door the day after I checked in, and room service was standing there with a bottle of champagne and a plate of dessert. The event planner had found out I was there and sent them up (thinking my husband was with me), along with a very sweet card. And when I initially checked in, I received such a warm welcome from staff who had helped us back in September as well. With such personal touches and caring staff, even the bad things are mitigated and I'll definitely go back - I still couldn't imagine staying at a different hotel in Halifax. I just hope they see this criticism for what it is - an opportunity to improve and blow everyone away, as I was during my first visit.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Yaena
Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Yaena - I wish your second stay was better than the first - my apologies that wasn't the case. The goal now is to ensure stay number three (which we hope is very soon) crushes the previous two! I will definitely follow up with the team to correct the bathroom issues you mentioned - thank you for letting us know and thank you for pointing out what you enjoyed about your second stay with us too.....see you again soon??? I hope so.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Mount Pearl, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My stay here was fabulous! The staff were super friendly and the location was great. I will definitely stay here again and will recommend this hotel to friends/family who travel there. Thanks so much!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

With awesome guests like YOU SandraEF.... thanks for staying with us.
Sydney
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife had to travel for Hospital procedure. Staff was very helpful. They even reserved a wheel chair for us upon return to the hotel after the medical appointment. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I hope all went well with the hospital appointment Chris S and thank you for staying with us.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Loved everything about this hotel. We stayed on the 6th floor so were able to have breakfast right on our floor (in a small breakfast room) without going down to the lobby. However, at 2:00 a.m. I was awoken by a group just arriving back to the hotel obviously from a night of celebrating. They stopped just outside of our door and then entered the room next to mine where they continued to disrupt my sleep. After several minutes someone (I assume another guest) opened their room door and yelled for the group to be quiet. There were no further disruptions but I found it difficult to get back to sleep and did not get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

My apologies for the sleep interruption Scott C - The last time this happened me I was up at 6:30am the next morning so I knocked on the noisy culprits door until they answered it to make sure they knew it was 6:30 in the morning..... I got a very bizarre look but it made my day.
Annapolis Royal
Reviewed 20 May 2014

As a family of four we stayed at the Prince George overnight for the Bluenose marathon. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed - great bathroom, wireless internet, fridge and tv. The pool area was lovely, the staff were very polite and helpful and the buffet breakfast (extra) was delicious. Overall a perfect location for the marathon and a very enjoyable stay. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I hope the marathon was a success for you Tor B - see you next year?
Charlottetown
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is very nicely located to the downtown for both business and pleasure. The quality of the operation both in hotel features and staff professionalism will satisfy the most discriminating travellor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Very kind words Wayne H - Thank you very much for staying with us and telling everyone how much you enjoyed your time here.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This Hotel is awesome -- the location is perfect -- walking distance to so many of the shops, water front sites, truly a perfect place to stay -- home away from home; comfortable rooms & great staff!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple