“Very nice hotel, very kind staff”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ottawa
“Very nice hotel, very kind staff”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I spent two days of my honeymoon at the Westin in Halifax, and they were the highlight of our trip. Even though we booked through Priceline the management was extremely kind. When we checked in our room wasn't ready so the management upgraded us to a suite on one of the top floors.. That night when we returned home after dinner there was a bottle of wine and some chocolate strawberries with a little note congratulating us on our wedding. I had told all 3 hotels that we were spending our honeymoon there ahead of time, and the Westin was the only one who went out of their way to make our honeymoon special.

The location was great near the harbourfront, the pool/hot tub and workout room were quite nice as well. We stayed in another room the other night because we were there our 1st/last nights of the week and our 2nd room was very nice as well.

If I return to Halifax I will be sure to stay at the Westin.

The only issue I had during our stay is that our neighbours arrived at 3 AM in the morning and there was a group of them who had been out partying.. Sound travels a bit through the walls so we lost a couple hours of sleep, but I didn't really want to complain about it through the front desk so I waited it out.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AKY99
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience and we would like to congratulate you again on your marriage.

We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we continue to try to be the best Westin around. It sounds like we accomplished this with your stay.

Concerning your noise challenges, I am very sorry you had to experience this level of noise. We do recommend that guests call the front desk when they experience any issues as our security team is well trained to follow up with these concerns.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Guido Kerpel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Ontario
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I have stayed at Westins in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Toronto. I like the attention to detail that is show there and as a "Starwood Preferred Guest" I often get little extras thrown in. So I was disappointed with this hotel, because it was missing those touches. The rooms are not cheap, but the room I got was seriously worn. For a hotel that is suppose to be 4 star, I expected much better. If McDonald's can give free WiFi in all their restaurants, why should I have to pay at the Westin?
I have written to the Service Manager of the hotel with my suggestions for improvement.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Femmeng
I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your experience with us.

As a guest at our hotel we should be providing you with best possible service and product our hotel can offer. We certainly appreciate the follow up you have given us and I can assure you we will improve in the areas you have noted.

Kind regards,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Double occupancy, 2 double beds, stayed 3 nights and 4 days.
Pros: The room was very clean and open. Good view. Rooms were kept very clean, and there was no shortage of supplies such as clean towels, shampoo, soap etc. The room I was in was part of the older building and had high ceilings and a bit of rustic charm thrown in with the modern appliances. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had great black out curtains to keep out the city glare.

Cons: Free WiFi was not provided and came with a cost of 9.95 per day. There was a "business centre" in the main lobby with 2 free computers but these were always occupied when I went by.

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Moncton,NB
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Stayed June 10,11, 2011 First off.....I have to say, we loved the Westin! What a beautiful , grand hotel with all the amenities. Check in was fast and friendly and lobby quite impressive in design. We were given a Harbourview room facing Georges Island(?)....beautiful view! The room was tastefully decorated, clean and newly renovated. The bathroom was sweet..lots of shelving space for your sundries....a magnifying mirror on the wall and very well lit for applying makeup. Nice shampoo/cond and lotion, as well as Starbucks coffee. New flat screen tv and a very comfortable queen bed. In the lobby a gentleman played classical/jazz type music early evening which was a lovely touch while enjopying a cocktail at the Eve lounge. We opted to have an evening dinner at Elements Restaurant in the hotel and it was delicious ,the service friendly, impeccable and reasonably priced....thanks Jose! Lots of parking in the back and compared to other hotels in the area....their charge of $18 is very fair! Some places are $27. The back entrance is surrounded by beautiful flowering bushes/trees. You can't beat its location with a Superstore next door,liquor store.....a just built Farmers Market, Brewery, used book store as well as a ton of excellent restaurants, and not to forget.....direct entrance to the waterfront boardwalk which leads you to Historic Properties. Short walking distant to Spring Garden Road. If one wanted to play tennis you can even rent an instructor at their tennis court! They have a nice workout center as well as an indoor pool and hot tub. There wasn't an employee who wasn't gracious and friendly! Free morning newspaper and elevators were quite fast....never had to wait long. It is so nice to see The Westin take the old Hotel Nova Scotia back to its glory! Thank you for a memorable stay! I also had an hour massage at the Spa located at the Hotel, very good....and they offered guests a 10% discount.....Elements were offering guests a 25% discount...can't beat that!! I have nothing but praise for this place! I hope you all end up with the exact same experience we had! :)

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travelGalMoncton
Mount Pearl, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We attended the Penton and Upshaw wedding and everything was great.
The rooms were clean and spacious and able to accommodate the gathering friends and family between events.

Close to site seeing and "supplies" for the festivities.

Breakfast at the Elements restaurant was always a pleasure. Staff were very friendly and interacted great with my young niece and newphew when ordering omelets and waffles. Food was delicious.

The wedding event itself was beautiful. The staff should be congratulated on an excellent service. Food was delicious and hot.

Room was lavishly decorated and worked well in setting the mood for all guests from near and far.

Would definitely recommend staying here if you visit Halifax for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Corner room on 6th provide excellent view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,875 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stay at a lot of Starwood properties and have almost always had favorable things to say about Westin Hotels but found this property disappointing. I reserved a water view room at $219 and while I can't blame Westin for the fact that the harbor views are not particularly pretty neither was the room. The room was well insulated and everything worked but the room was also small and the furnishings were tired and dull.

At the rate charged the room I had was greatly overpriced and were it not for the friendly and very helpful staff I would rate this property even lower. We did not have dinner at the Westin but did have the Sunday brunch while like the room was fine but at $33 a person you can have a really good meal in Halifax and the brunch at the Westin would not be a bargain at half the price. Parking at $18 a night is also no bargain.

If you can get a good rate the Halifax Westin is a clean and well run property and is fairly centrally located but I certainly would not park their nor would I pay a dollar more for a water view as for the extra expense your likely to look out on a power plant and an oil storage facility. I flew in and out of Halifax and had planned to stay at the Westin a final night before departing, however, given my initial stay I elected move over to the Prince George which I found to be superior.

Room Tip: Water views are not all that attractive!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank jsthouston
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. Our sincere apologies that we did not meet and exceed your Westin standards.
We would like to invite you back so you could experience a much better experience in a much better room. Our facilities are great and we definitely have great Westin rooms with very impressive views.
Please contact us directly if you would like to return with us to see what a true Westin experience should feel like.
Warm regards,
Toronto
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed The Westin Nova Scotian for 3 nights during the May long weekend. From the outside the hotel appears older, but it’s fully renovated on the inside – but there are some really unique touches such as the floor to ceiling mailbox system throughout the building. Upon our arrival we were greeted and quickly checked in. Our room was directly beside the elevator and there was only a slight hum, but not bad at all. The beds are unbeatable at the Westin – always an amazing sleep. We asked the concierge for driving directions and they were very helpful by even suggesting restaurant tips. Just a couple of small drawbacks - the pricey parking at $18 per day/overnight and our bathroom sink took a long time to drain properly. Other than that no complaints and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank our2cents
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for letting us know how your stay went. We are glad you had a great experience at our Westin. We strive to make each guest's stay refreshing and renewing. We are glad you liked our unique touches such as the old fashioned mailbox.

We will pass your praise along to our team for providing excellent service. Our team, especially the concierge work hard to ensure guests satisfaction.

Unfortunately parking is a premium in this city and we do have to charge our guests. Our apologies for the slow draining sink. We will have our Engineering team take a look at the drains to make sure there are no further issues.

Be well,