“May be the best hotel experience I've ever had...”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Place is beautiful, perfectly located, big rooms/comfy beds, AMAZING rate--but the staff is what made me say this may have been my best stay anywhere. I forget names, but the person we booked on-site with was concise and personal (he was a manager). Two different employees gave us advice on where to eat, where to go out, etc--and they were spot on. They even provided a Westin-branded dog bed and food/water bowl set. Seriously, stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Let us start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. We're pleased to know that you truly enjoyed your recent visit. Thank you for choosing to stay with us as your home away from home.

From your review, we understand you made the most of your time in Halifax – we're happy our associates were able to help with recommendations on places to eat and things to see and do.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have never written a review - but there is a reason when you finally do and my is the experience I had at this hotel. I am compelled to make a special shout out to the front desk - managers and support staff especially ADAM!!! and EMMA!! Both of them have such delightful personalities and demonstrated excellent service. In fact, the entire staff at this fine establishment were always willing to help in any way they could without hesitation. My memories and my husband's memories of Halifax will always include our stay at Westin Nova Scotian. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Wow - thank you! We're always delighted to read about such positive experiences at our hotel. Your experience outlines what we strive to do at the Westin Nova Scotian; provide each guest with a more than memorable stay.

We'll be sharing your review with our hotel team, especially Adam and Emma. They'll be very grateful for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Halifax again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, right by the harbour market and a grocery store. Nice rooms, but the beds need to be updated. The beds are too soft, like sleeping in a bowl. I woke up with neck issues.
Make sure to ask for one of the renovated rooms with new beds! I hear a few of the floors have them.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Westin Nova Scotian. We're happy you enjoyed the characteristics of our heritage hotel and convenient location.

Our sincerest apologies for your less than exceptional sleeping experience. We're in the process of replacing our mattresses on property. Should you wish to discuss your concerns in more detail, please reach out to our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta at rgupta@westin.ns.ca.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed 2 nights for business and booked a King Bed with a partial view through Expedia. Upon arrival to the hotel I was told that my room was not available and that I would be in a room with 2 double beds, even though I paid more for the King. The ladies at the desk were very apologetic, but couldn't do anything. Instead of upgrading me they downgraded me and gave me free breakfast for just one day, which didn't make up for the mix up. The beds in the room looked like that had just been slept in, but the rest of the room looked clean. The bathroom is a nice size, with a good shower. I used the valet service for my car, which was great except that they usually left before I arrived at the hotel for the night and had to drop my keys to the concierge. The breakfast was the best part by far; the waiter I had was friendly and remembered me the next day. I definitely recommend getting an omelet at the restaurant. The man at the front desk made me feel a bit uncomfortable by just staring at me, rather than saying hello or if he could help me with anything. When I asked questions to him upon my check out he seemed very condescending and cryptic. The rest of the staff was also not overly friendly and did not offer any information about the hotel or the local area. The location was perfect for me since I had a conference in Pier 21, but if I didn't want to be so close to work I would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Seems like the 3rd floor had the worst rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We strive to make every guest feel welcome at the hotel and we want to apologize for the inconsistencies in service.

Should you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta via e-mail at rgupta@westin.ns.ca.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a true Westin experience.
Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Westin is my go to hotel and I've stayed at a few of them, both for pleasure and for business. The service is always impeccable so I was surprised when a series of things didn't add up for me on this trip. First the good things. Great location, across from waterfront, with large supermarket close by, Weekend Farmer's Market across the street. Lots of eateries in the neighbourhood. Beautiful old building and warm welcoming check in. Had breakfast at Elements and our waiter Jose was cheerful and happy. Set the tone for the day.

Now the interesting parts. The room I was in had a large walk in closet with a quirky lighting system. The light turns off when the door shuts, except the door has an automatic closure. When you step inside the closet, the door closes behind you and you're now suddenly standing in a dark room. Strange. Housekeeping was also not up to par during my visit. I came back to room one day and found a long curly brown hair in my bathtub. I have short straight black hair. When I chose the Green Choice housekeeping program, I was expecting no new bed linens and towels for the day but I was surprised that my bed was also not made. I came back from a full day to find my Westin heavenly bed exactly the same as when I left it in the morning. Odd. The pillows were also quite old and needed replacing. You could feel the disintegrated individual foam bits inside them.

On another day, I ordered takeout food from the lobby bar and was shocked when the waiter handed me my food served on a open plate on a dirty chipped serving tray and sent me on my way. Here I am, trying to balance the tray, walking in heels, while carrying my purse, my laptop bag, and struggling to push the elevator buttons and fumbling with my key fob at my door... all the while without having to put my lunch on the floor. Also another odd Westin experience.

I did speak to a very helpful member of the Westin Team, Jesse, who apologized sincerely and wanted to make it right for me. I felt that my concerns were promptly addressed and I chalked it up to just a string of unfortunate events.

All in all, not my best Westin experience but the customer service in the end made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for water view room. Halifax harbour is beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thank you for writing a review and providing feedback on your recent stay at the Westin Nova Scotian. We appreciate receiving reviews from our guests, especially when we can improve our guests' experiences. We want to apologize for the inconveniences during your visit.

We're happy Jesse was able to help when you were on property. He's a great leader on our guest services team. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Westin again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed 2 nights on the weekend and couldn't have been more pleased. The service was the key. From the time you get out of the car the bellman(lucas)to the front end staff where awesome. The view from the 8th floor was romantic and the heavenly bed was king size in every way. Stay at this hotel. You ll come back to thank me

• Stayed: June 2013
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you! We appreciate you writing such a wonderful review about your stay at the Westin Nova Scotian. We feel that our hospitality and service is what differentiates us from other downtown hotels, and we're happy you had a memorable experience.

We'll be sure to share your comments with our team and Lucas. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Halifax again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel on June 15th . The room was very nice and very well appointed.
I had my toddler with me and so we had asked for a crib for the room.
It was in the room when i checked in which was very nice.
The room had a mini fridge so i emptied out some of the cans and put in milk and a couple other amenities. I called down for a micro wave and they had one left so within 10 minutes it was delivered up. Overall I was very pleased with the service and amneities.
I was checked in by a young lady named Emma, she was very pleasant and helpful. I was later on in the evening playing and entertaining my daughter in the lobby and Emma was very pleasant and entertaining to to my daughter . Emma engaged her attention on several occasions ( while still doing her job) and my daugher was entralled with the kind nature of this young lady. Emma is a gem of a front desk person. I am in the hospitality business and I am always very pleased when I receive or i see others recieve exceptional service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

What a review! Thank you for sharing your comments. Emma is a tremendous asset to our team and has a keen interest in our guests' experiences. We'll be sharing your review with Emma & her manager to ensure she is aware of the impact she made during your stay.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your daughter back to the hotel.