“Best place to stay in Halifax”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“Best place to stay in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

As a SPG platinum member - I have high expectations of all the starwood hotels i stay at - and the Westin Nova Scotian was a top hotel in my mind. The staff were all very friendly and i was in a great corner room on the 8th floor (Room 800). The gym at the hotel was better than expected and the food at element was amazing. Thanks for a great stay

I only wish they had an Westin lounge - or if they did for some reason i was not told about it

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank torontotraveler31
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for loyalty. We're delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful visit at the hotel and an enjoyable dining experience at elements on hollis.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review;we'll be sure to share your comments with our team. We hope your travels bring you back to Halifax again soon.
Guido Kerpel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Milltown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We only stayed one night, but it was an excellent experience. It was easy to access, right next to a supermarket and within walking distance of several great restaurants. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. We had exceptional service from Kaylee at the front desk.

Room Tip: Harbor views are nice but ask for an upper floor on a weekend if there is an event or wedding, or y...
1 Thank Barbara G
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We're happy to hear you had such an enjoyable experience at the Westin Nova Scotian.

Kaylee is a great asset to the hotel and we'll be sure to share your kind words with her and the team.

We hope your travels bring you back to the Westin again soon.
Until next time.
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Poor inefficient service
October 22, 2013
I travel frequently for conferences and have stayed in many hotels, not typically Westin. I experienced a number of problems with this hotel - I had asked for a cot to be placed in the room but the hotel staff wasn't aware of this when I checked in. The room had to be changed to a larger one to accommodate a cot. OK fine. But no cot was sent up and I had to call again to ask for the cot.
Room service - I had to call 3 times to get an item sent up. I've never experienced this at any other hotel.
Checking out - the hotel can't leave a copy of the invoice under your door for review prior to check out because the "doors are made soundproof and we wouldn't be able to slip it under the door". I was checking out at 5 AM and didn't have enough time to review the invoice. The person at the desk was not very courteous.
Invoice - I was actually charged for the cot - even though the reason for the cot was that no two double bed rooms were available. I've never been charged by a hotel for a cot. I called the hotel to inquire and the person stated she would take it off the bill and email me the revised invoice. I didn't receive the invoice and called again two days later. I was told it was sent to an email address that wasn't mine.
So overall, an atrocious level of service with recurrent errors, inefficiencies.
On the plus side, the food was good and the room was quiet.
But this hotel doesn't strive to make the stay relaxed or pleasant at all, and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only other Westin I have stayed at was the one in Beijing and that was also a horrible experience. I would not book any Westin hotel in the future.

1 Thank tripping88
Thank you for writing a review. We're disappointed to hear about your recent visit to the Westin Nova Scotian; please accept our sincerest apologies for falling short on your service expectations.

We'd like the opportunity to speak with you regarding the issues identified in this review. Should you wish, we encourage you to contact our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta at raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com to discuss.

We look forward to connecting with you soon.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed at the Westin in Halifax over Thanksgiving Weekend. We were impressed with the front desk staff and two hospitality staff named Sarah. One Sarah worked in the dining room and was exceptionally willing to accommodate us and our party. The other was a supervisor named Sarah and she worked doubly hard to help us with a problem that arose over a dining room reservation.

The room we stayed in (#439) was in desperate need of new beds and bedding. No mattress cover so the sheets kept sliding up the mattress as we tried to sleep. The pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable. It appears that the hotel does not have an ironing machine for the laundry so even on the first day, it looked tired and maybe even unclean. We were busy during our stay so grumbled but put up with the room until our last night. When I showed the manager our room, he found us a different hotel room in which to sleep and we actually slept well that night.

After watching CBC's marketplace show on cleaning in hotels, I recognize some of the same problems that we noticed in the Westin halifax. The air vents were dirty, the carpet needed replacing, the beds were awful and I just wished we had asked for a different room sooner.

Great staff work so hard but without the resources to manage the property, they pale in comparison to poor accommodations.

Room Tip: If the room doesn't look clean or there appear to be problems, don't wait to tell the manage...
1 Thank pam f
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We appreciate you writing a review on TripAdvisor. We'd also like to thank you for taking the time to speak with us regarding your concerns while on property.

We're happy we were able to address your concerns and switch you to another room. We want to assure you that we've spoken to our Housekeeping Department to ensure we're meeting our high cleanliness standards.

During future visit, should you have any concerns or questions regarding your stay, please contact our Front Desk and we'll be more than happy to assist.

We hope your travels bring you back to the Westin.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We chose to the extra for a harbour-view room. The accommodation was clean and comfortable and the view of the harbour was excellent.

The staff are extremely courteous. Our one problem in the bar was quickly rectified to our satisfaction by the manager and we tried the bar again the next day (different bartender) and were not disappointed.

This is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location for touring the historic side of Halifax.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a view the harbour!
1 Thank clayacres
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for writing a review. We're happy to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us and you enjoyed the history of the Halifax Seaport.

We hope your travels bring you back to the Westin Nova Scotian again.
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My Husband and I stayed here on September 14th on the 6th floor in a corner suite, that was over looking the harbour and NS powers new Building.

The Beds are not just heavenly, they are amazing! The Showers are HOT and I loved the double showerheads! The Room was very clean! It offers Terry Towel Robes, a complimentary bottle of water, and includes complimentary Starbucks Coffee that you can make in your room. The rooms have been updated nicely.

We are residents of Halifax and booked the room via Priceline.com without knowing where we were going to be staying. Glad it was the Westin! Great location if you want to go downtown, or if your travelling by bus/train. Cabs are readily available waiting for you there, and YUK YUK's is also in the same building.

The night of our stay there were a few large functions going on, however the hotel was still quiet on the bedroom floors. The Check-In was Flawless, and we were in our room within Minutes. Jon helped us, and he was awesome! Very welcoming and warm, and hyped us up a little bit for our room before we got there.. and I was not disappointed. The toiletries are high quality, and the towels were VERY clean.

We visited the Gym, Pool, and Hot Tub area and it was very clean. The only thing is they had ran out of towels... however I called to let them know and within ten minutes, someone was there restocking with fresh towels! The hot tub was hot! and the pool was fresh! Just what we were looking for!

The only thing really is the layout of getting to the pool, having to walk to the end, and then going into an older part of the hotel that hasn't been redone.. but the hotel itself does not have any control over that.. so I really can't complain!

All in all I would rate the stay a 9/10. In fact we are planning another staycation next month and will probably book the same hotel! Hopefully this time we will try the food! However the location was great as there was a liquor store, and superstore right next door, which allowed us to buy some before dinner snacks and drinks!

Room Tip: Try and Choose a Corner Room, facing the water. Lots of space!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandaJane420
Thank you for staying at the Westin Nova Scotian for your overnight staycation. From our Heavenly beds to convenient location, it sounds like you had the rejuvenating experience you were looking for.

We look forward to you next visit.
Until then.
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

After many years of staying with family when visiting the Halifax area, I needed to stay in town for a family event. This is an older hotel, so the rooms are on the small side and are a bit dated, but they are clean and well-laid out. Housekeeping was efficient and nicely done.

The view from the rooms overlooking the harbor is quite nice, but the “generator” on that side is very noisy when the window is open. The hotel is close to the waterfront and there is a walkway nearby that goes for a quite a ways up the harbor (it definitely goes as far as The Maritime Museum and The Historic Properties - it might also go up to the casino, but I didn't go that far.) There is also an interesting farmer's market on the waterfront - it was open on the Saturday I was there – I don’t know whether it is open on any other days.

Breakfast is typical hotel hot/cold buffet, and there are à la carte items which can be ordered as well. The restaurant is not open for dinner on Sundays, but small plates/light fare can be ordered in the bar/lounge. Strangely enough, one cannot take a glass of wine (or anything else, I’d assume) from the bar back up to the room – it must be ordered from room service. Maybe they don’t want to retrieve glasses from all over the hotel? A bit of a pain if you don’t want to wait 30-40 minutes for a single glass of wine to arrive in your room, with the accompanying delivery fee and mandatory service charge…

My only real complaint concerns the valet parking. Service was inconsistent. For the cost (cdn $22), I would hope that, when I pull in, there is somebody there, if not to open the door, then to at least to be there to take the keys and move the car somewhere. They may have been short-staffed, because a couple times I really had no idea where the attendants were and it felt a bit uncomfortable to be standing there with keys in hand ….waiting…and waiting…and waiting…

So, it is a nice hotel, with a few quirks. The difficulties I had with checking in early to be able to change for a funeral ( i.e. I wasn’t able to check in early, so had to change in the women’s locker room with sopping wet floors...) were certainly not pleasant, but I’d hope they were not typical of the usual service at this hotel. I would stay here again, but would also be very open to trying a somewhere different.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience at the Westin Nova Scotian. We appreciate your comments and feedback; and we've shared your review with our team.

We hope your travels bring you back to the Westin again.