“Rooms in need of renovation”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Halifax, Canada
“Rooms in need of renovation”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I'm giving this hotel a 3/5 (should be a 2/5 but the staff I encountered were very helpful and accommodating so I'm giving it an extra star). I have stayed here a few times throughout the past 2 years and was pleased after each visit - this time not so much. The whole hotel felt dirty and dark. The room temperature was so hot - I slept on top of the blankets with the window open... in January. The hot tub was not working (only one jet and the water was not much warmer than the pool). The location is great and I enjoy the character the hotel has to offer but I don't think this is enough to make me book here in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Harrisch
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience. We're happy to hear that our staff were more than accommodating during your visit.

We want to extend our apologies for not meeting your Westin expectations. In regards to the room temperature, with the ever changing temperatures in Halifax, we've been working diligently to keep the building temperatures regulated. We apologize for the warmer air in your room.

Should you wish to discuss any of your concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Guido Kerpel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Toronto
Reviewed 12 January 2014

What a difference a year makes. I stayed last year at this time and found that despite the shortcomings of an older building the staff more than made up for that. But as great and welcoming and friendly as they are, they can't make up for the state of disrepair this hotel is in.
The "Heavenly Bed", a Westin signature, was not. The mattress was old and felt saggy. The sheets were so thin I could see through them. The pillowcase had stains. I went to the nearby grocery store to purchase my own toilet paper because the provided paper was so thin and hard it was actually uncomfortable. There was no light bulb in the bedside lamp, and the phone did not work. The television reception was spotty and the remote filthy. I had no little soaps or shampoo and whatnot. I travel with my own so no big deal on that. To be honest, I wouldn't have stayed if I hadn't arrived late and left early.
I ate breakfast in Elements, which was very good (I had an omelet), and the service was great, Ryan was pleasant and efficient which is what you want at breakfast time.
The check out was a little strange. I commented that I was surprised at the slide in the condition of the hotel. The gentleman (whom I will not name) proceeded to share what I thought probably confidential information regarding how the hotel was being "run into the ground" by the owner (among other things). Suffice to say, it was unprofessional. However, given the conditions I witnessed perhaps that is the case and he spoke from frustration.
I am sad to say that I doubt I would stay there again because it was just not physically comfortable.

Room Tip: Can you ask for a room with new bedding?
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CdesJ
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We're sorry to hear that we didn't meet your Westin brand expectations. We strive to provide memorable experiences and I'm disappointed to read these comments.

We take pride in our historic hotel and have completed many renovations on property, while continuing to do so. I would personally like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns. Should you wish, I can be reached by e-mail at guido.kerpel@thewestinnovascotian.com.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I've stayed here three times now and it's my first choice in Halifax.

It is an older property, though, and the rooms are quite small by modern standards and some could use updating and refreshing. Still, the overall vibe of the hotel is great, the location is very convenient on the waterfront and close to town and the food in the restaurant (particularly the buffet breakfast) is good

Room Tip: Definitely want to be on the harbor side - even if it's foggy
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
We're delighted that we're your choice hotel in Halifax. We truly appreciate you providing feedback on your stays and will be sure to share your feedback with our team.

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I just spent New Year's Eve at the Westin with my partner. We also attended the dinner and Yuk Yuk's show. Our room was nice although very tiny. I've never seen a bathroom so small! I thought paying a little extra for a king size bed might mean a larger room but that was not to be. The entrance to the bathroom was literally no more than 20" - 22" wide. We both agreed that anyone who was obese would have trouble getting through the doorway! I'm just adding this in my review as something to ask about if you are a larger individual!
For a variety of reasons we were disappointed with our stay, mainly related to the NYE package. However, I have to say I was very impressed with the front desk manager, Alan. He happened to be the one to check us out and when he asked if everything was alright I told him that we were somewhat disappointed. He was genuinely interested in hearing about our concerns and encouraged me to share everything. I was very impressed. Usually front desk staff don't really want to get into the details of a guest's complaint. Alan was wonderful. Just his interest alone was satisfying to me but then he graciously complimented a couple of items off our bill. Very classy and very appreciated. He singlehandedly saved the reputation of the Westin in my eyes!

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review, if you have a wide girth make sure you have a full size bathroom! There...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you taking time to explain your discontent with Alan on check-out. Alan is a tremendous asset to our management team and leads our Guest Services Department; we'll be sure to share your comments with him directly.

We want to apologize for not meeting your hotel expectations. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a true Westin Nova Scotian experience.

Halifax
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel room with the idea of having a nice quiet night to ourselves. After parking in a 18$ wintery parking lot behind the building we arrived in our small run down room to find the t.v not working. We were moved next door and then were treated to people YELLING in the halls till 2 a.m. Now lying awake at 6 and listining to the sounds of snoaring in the next room. I would never stay here again and I would tell my friends to avoid this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D S
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're disappointed to hear about your less than expected experience. We would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your concerns. Should you wish, you may contact our Hotel Manager Raj Gupta at raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com.

We hope to hear from you soon.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We recently spent 1 night in a basic room,not overlooking the ocean. Good prices but parking is expensive and not included at $18.00 per day.
The room was clean.Comfortable bed,nice linens.The room and hotel is showing its age a bit,looks tired! We were disappointed to see a very minimalist Christmas decor. Not even a tree.
Front check in was excellent and professional.The bar is fantastic with some of the best staff I have encountered in a very long time.
Would return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you! We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the hotel. We take pride in our Maritime hospitality, and we're delighted to hear that you received exceptional service from our team. We'll be sure to share your comments with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

A fabulous hotel, beautiful room overlooking the bay.Loved the great service and staff always has a smile for you.Well worth a visit and convient to the airport.Station is right beside hotel.Food was always fresh and served with sleek appeal.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Westin Nova Scotian. We're happy you enjoyed our convenience location, comfortable guestrooms, and most importantly, our friendly staff.

We hope your travels bring you back to the area again soon.