“Way below expected”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

To check in I waited in a long line for one hour. Only one receptionist. Although I have a reservation they gave me the worst room in the hotel. They didn't do anything to make it up except saying we are so sorry. Well apology not acceptable, I paid 150$ to sleep only 4 hours. Breakfast is expensive, but within the same range of other hotels.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. We're sorry to hear of your less than expected experience at the Westin Nova Scotian. We strive to provide exceptional services to our guests and we want to apologize for not meeting those expectations.

We would like the opportunity to speak with you in person and we encourage you to contact our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta at rgupta@westin.ns.ca.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Nova Scotian

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked The Westin via a blind booking on Priceline and got a great deal. You always hope to walk into a magically upgraded room with a view of the water but that doesn't happen very often. Our room was clean (but small) and the bed was comfortable. We found free parking on the square, but the hotel offers parking for $18 a night. The hotel is very close to everything you could possibly need- Farmer's Market, liquor store, grocery store and the main bar scene.

My only issue (and this I think is an isolated incident) was that I called the hotel to see if I could guarantee a room with two double beds as we were traveling with a large group and were trying to save some money by splitting the costs. I was told there was a $10 charge, but that it would be guaranteed. Some of the group arrived Friday night and was told that the request they had called in wasn't put on their account, so were given a room at no additional cost (which I thought was great). Because of this, we didn't need two double beds anymore, so when I called the hotel to cancel the request, I was told it hadn't been put on my account in the first place. Thankfully, we didn't need the two beds but it would have been very frustrating if we had arrived with another couple to find one queen bed! As I said I think this was an isolated incident with one staff member not doing their job, and the rest of the staff we encountered was pleasant and accommodating.

Overall we were very pleased with the hotel, and will definitely return in the future!

Room Tip: Higher floors on the harbour side have a gorgeous view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for sharing this TripAdvisor review with us. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient downtown location, comfortable Heavenly Beds, and pleasant staff. Sorry about the confusion in regards to the double beds, we’re happy that we were able to make it right with you while on property.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you back to Halifax again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I recently spent 2 nights at The Westin and found my room to be very clean and well appointed. Very nice bed and pillows with decent temperature control in the room. Well stocked bar fridge with the normal ridiculous prices. Head out the front door turn left and go to superstore and nslc to stock up. Staff are polite and very helpful. Catch a comedy show at yuk yuks on the main floor.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkMac69
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your Halifax blizzard experience with us! We’re happy you enjoyed our comfortable, clean rooms. Our guests love how close we are to the Superstore and the NSLC. It’s very convenient to get the essentials during a snowstorm.

We always recommend spending an evening at YukYuks Comedy Club. We’re glad you enjoyed!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon. Hopefully the weather will be better next time!

Be Well,
Guido Keprel

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We enjoyed the Westin Nova Scotian hospitality last weekend.
I had a very small double room and my brother Barry had a slightly bigger king room; his room was fine with extra chairs, but my room with two beds was a bit tight and with only one chair, I found it not suitable for entertaining. (I prefer more space and chairs). There, that's my only beef and now the positives...
First, price was excellent as each room prepaid was only $97.50 a night, loved that.
Second, Westin is famous for their "Heavenly Beds" and believe me it's true!
Last, my son enjoyed the indoor pool, I enjoyed the hotels décor, and we all enjoyed their Outstanding Service...an example?
My son Chris lost his money in the pop machine, so he called down and told the front desk. They asked 'what pop were you trying to buy?", and minutes later a bellboy was at our door with two cans of pop, two tall glasses and fresh ice...ALL complimentary. WOW, where does this service happen anymore?
So small rooms aside, I would gladly spend another weekend at the Westin Nova Scotian when I return to Halifax.
Cheers,
Paul

Room Tip: I always ask for and get a higher floor and quiet area room and I'm never disappointed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paulshappy
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor! Feel free to request a bigger room when making your next reservation with us. We want you to be as comfortable as possible during your stay. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed, it’s loved by most!

We’re so happy we could help you out with your pop situation. We love going above and beyond for our guests, that's what differentiates us from other hotels.

Looking forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Halifax!

Until then,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this Westin recently and it's still a great spot. It is a bit removed from the Historic Properties on the waterfront but that isn't always a bad thing. In the summer months it's still just a really pleasant walk.

Like all Westin's it was very comfortable, the room was great and the staff very pleasant and helpful. I felt it was an excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: See if you can get something facing the Harbour. Gives you the morning sun and a view of a busy harb...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to return to the Wesitn Nova Scotian. We were so happy to welcome you back to our downtown hotel. The Historic Properties are just a quick walk form our property, we always recommend our guests to check it out. And you’re right! It’s a beautiful walk along to waterfront during the summer months.

We’re thrilled that you were cozy in your room and had time to explore downtown as well as relax.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely weekend away at the Westin. The rooms were clean and the bed "very" comfortable' We ate at Elements where we had a slight problem, which the management quickly corrected with an apology and a free breakfast buffet. Also the management (2) were always around observing every part of the Westin and seeing how they could help all the guest.
Wonderful burger at Roy' the best!
I definitely will be going back before winter is over for another lovely mini vacation. Wonderfully managed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We’re so happy to hear that we were your hotel of choice when wanting a weekend away. We don’t blame you for escaping the winter weather; the Westin has everything you’d ever need under one roof.

Thank you for letting us know on property about the slight issue in elements on hollis, we always want to make things right and happy we fixed any confusion. Also, Roy’s burger is always a guest favourite, great choice!

Looking forward to seeing you again before the spring!

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This is an old building. Service was good. Temperature control was an issue. Had to keep the window open to keep the room temp less than 75. Room was very small, but functional and comfortable. Free wi-fi was reliable. Meeting room was spacious and the food was pretty good.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Wi-Fi and delicious dining options. We want to apologize for the inconvenience with the warm temperatures, we will be sure to share your comments with our team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.