“Comfortable”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently stayed 9 nights at the Westin Nova Scotia in Halifax. Nice, comfortable hotel, very friendly staff. One side faces a park the other the waterfront. I really like the "green " program they had. For each day of no sheet or towel changes you are given a $5 coupon for the bar or restaurant. I love that, less waste.
My only issue is the restaurant is closed on Sunday nights, for a large hotel with no rooms available it seemed very odd. The bar had a limited menu, but the food was, OK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TableCape
There are newer reviews for The Westin Nova Scotian

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at The Westin Nova Scoatian over the Canada Day long weekend, and had quite a pleasant experience.

The location is great, located right across from the Farmer's Market. We enjoyed strolling across the street each morning for some organic, fresh coffee and breakfast.

The staff was quite friendly, especially the front desk staff.

The rooms were decent, although they weren't always cleaned very carefully. We found quite a bit of dust, and the beds were sometimes left unmade (which we thought was quite amusing).

All in all, a good location and I think we would definitely return! Good value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely property for a weekend getaway. Beautiful building and rooms. Retains old character but with modern amenities. Love the old mail box on each floor. Great service at the front desk, no lineups and professional staff.

Room Tip: Corner room Just lovely with windows each side
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that you chose us for your weekend getaway. We are pleased that you were treated to the high-end hospitality that the Westin is known for. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before (we visit Halifax every year) so I will simply update my comments to say that it continues to be impressive. This year, for the first time, we arrived by ship from England. The piers are just behind the hotel, so it was just a short walk with our rolling luggage. We were pleased that our room was available at the early hour of 10:30. As usual, we requested a room on the harbour side. There is a modest surcharge for this side of the hotel, but many people who do not request the view get it anyway. But I don't like to take that chance. The only meals we had was breakfast on the two days we stayed there. There is both an a la carte menu and the buffet. An omelette station is available as part of the buffet. The staff throughout the hotel are excellent. We went home to Toronto by train, as usual. Because this is a former Canadian National property, the station is connected to the hotel.

Room Tip: The harbour-view rooms offer good views of arriving and departing ships, so if you enjoy watching sh...
1  Thank Thomas0504
Reviewed 30 June 2014

As a big fan of the Westin brand I was very disappointed with my recent experience at the Westin Nova Scotian while visiting Halifax, NS.this past weekend. The rooms were fine and the hotel clean and for all but one exception the staff friendly I was gobsmacked that for a downtown hotel of this caliber that ALL the lounges and coffee shops within the hotel close at 11:00 PM 7 days a week.

I discovered this Friday night when I had invited a VIP client in for a night cap at 11:15 PM only to find nothing open whatsoever. To add fuel to the fire while one desk clerk understood my frustration the other took it upon herself to school me on the fact that the closure was a result of a chain wide policy which of course was utter nonsense. Worse she chose to argue the fact with me finally suggesting that as a business man I should realize the decision was a financial one which near set me off. Anyway, I dealt with all in the AM and I understand that the matter is being dealt with internally so best of luck.

Doddsy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that we take guest complaints very seriously, and that we value your feedback. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail please feel free to contact our Hotel Manager, Raj Gupta directly at raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The cold continental breakfast is a real bargain at $15. Great choices: meusli with apples and raisins; granola with bowls of almonds, pecans, canned peaches and pears, yogurt, raisins, dried cranberries and blueberries; 2 kinds of Smoothies; nova scotia coffee cakes, scones and oat cakes; sliced cheeses and cold cuts; large glasses of juices etc etc. The hot buffet had great choices of cod cakes etc for $19. Also a chef would make you sweet or savoury waffles. Yes, the Westin is an old CN hotel but that ads to it's charm. I thought it very well kept up but it was nice to see where there had been old door knobs (on the staff doors) and transoms for circulation of air. And, amen, the windows did open but were very sound proof as very heavy. Staff was excellent and friendly like all Haligonians seem to be. It felt like home and safe. The Westin is ideal if you are arriving or leaving by VIA as there is only a carpetted ramp separating the 2 lobbies. There also is a rental car kiosk at this VIA stn - Enterprise and Thrifty. There is a SuperStore next door c/w their LCBO (NSCL) Free internet in the 'business room' off the lobby.

Room Tip: We were on floor 4 and the top floor of 11. All good.
2  Thank scoot123
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great Westin in friendly Halifax. Nice historical property which is a nice change from newer hotels. The usual great Westin amenities. Great bed! Fantastic location, walking distance to many restaurants. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our many amenities and great location. We hope to see you again soon.