“great hotel .....great location”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“great hotel .....great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Overall a great experience, staying two nights at the Westin. Great location, on the waterfront. close to Pier 21, stores, and restaurants. Hotel was very clean, staff was friendly and helpful.
I definately would recommend this hotel to couples or family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank j0hnd4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Rooms are good/comfy with free WiFi. Close to other things in town - the markets, boardwalk, etc. Front desk were nice. Pretty standard for a business hotel. I would stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and comfortable rooms. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our central location and explore downtown Halifax. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Guido Kerpel
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from spending a week in Nova Scotia, 5 of those nights were at the Westin Nova Scotian. This is a great little hotel - some of the furnishings are a little outdated but it was obvious that our room had just gone through some minor renovations - new carpet, new draperies and the king size bed was super comfortable, it felt like sleeping on a cloud. We had a rental car for the time we were there and used the valet service - all the valets were super friendly and accomodating. For the price we paid ($130/night) I think we got a great value!

The location of this hotel is awesome, about a 15 minute walk down the harbourfront to the casino, around the corner from The Bicycle Thief and right in front of the Farmers Market. If that isn't enough, there's a 24 hour supermarket next door and a Tim Horton's around the corner - who could ask for anythong more?

I highly recommend and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel enjoys a prime location on the waterfront, near the big Farmer's Market, and interesting Immigration Museum. It also offers many amenities and the option of a stroll on the boardwalk along the water near the historic area and many good restaurants. Easy access to rental cars, train station, and airport shuttle service. Parking lot behind hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to face the waterfront, let them know this when you reserve.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

In early July, I returned to my “old stomping ground”, the Westin Nova Scotian in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, were I first stayed in 1996, when my guest rooms still had the look (narrow glass shelves) and feel of the old flagship hotel of Canadian National Railway (CN), first opened in 1930.

I arrived, was greeted friendly and courteously, obtained my key prepared package and was on my way to a beautiful corner room with a panoramic view of the Halifax Seaport, part of Halifax Harbour, St George’s Island and Dartmouth across the water. Even a bottle of Nova Scotia wine greeted me in my room. Over the years, the Starwood Group has given the hotel a thorough make-over, including the ubiquitous “Heavenly Bed” (with more pillows than there is tea in China), a soft bathrobe, a full line of toiletries, a coffee/tea maker, minibar and a bottle of water. Hot water is virtually instantaneous in the bathroom. New is a glare-free mirror whose translucent frame is illuminated. This is a true innovation that I first encountered encountered at the Sheraton, Ontario Airport in California, more than 10 years ago. To cool the room, one has to fiddle a bit with the thermostat (instructions on the wall). The hotel no longer delivers a newspaper o the room nor slips the room bill under he door in the wee hours. While the hotel uses water-saver toilets and fluorescent bulbs, my room was not exactly well-lit.

The breakfast buffet selection is a very good. I offers custom-cooked omelettes, excellent small croissants, oatmeal (regrettably lukewarm), smoothies etc.. Smoked salmon is no longer available. Dinner in the” elements on Hollis’ has always been outstanding. It serves the arguably best seafood chowder with lobster etc. and one of the best pieces of succulent lightly broiled salmon with a very thin crust.I have ever eaten, served with green beans,zuchini and red beets, followed by a mug of hot, good coffee. Service was friendly and very efficient.

The hotel has a good fitness room and probably the best and most attractive indoor swimming pool in Halifax with excellent water temperature.

Stacy from Guest Services was very thoughtful.

The hotel has arguably he best location in Halifax. It is adjacent to the Via Rail train station (terminal of the ‘Ocean’), a bus station, and looks out onto a plaza with a very large Superstore. A stone-throw away across busy Marginal Road is the Seaport with Cruise-ship terminal and Pier 21 (now the Canadian Museum of Immigration), where over a million of immigrants landed between 1928 and 1971. Pier 21 also was the point of departure for WII Canadian soldiers. About a 10-minute walk along Lower Water Street is Alexander Keith’s Brewery (offering a tour). Farther along the street is the harbour shopping district.

As always, my hotel statement was accurate, and check-out was as fast as check-in. I am looking forward to my return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are best. Rooms to the East offer a panoramic view of the Seaport and the harbour, but...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bonifacius
Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for one night. Reception was friendly enough. Discovered we were going to be charged an extra $22.0 a night for parking. When we got to our room it was freezing, the air conditioner had been on high, we tried turning up the heat and turning off the blower, but an hour later we were just as cold. On calling the front desk, the engineer was sent up with a little portable heater, which warmed the room up within a couple of hours. (Apparently the heat couldn't be turned up on the thermostat)
The beds were very comfortable, it was quiet and clean. The lighting in the bathroom was very good, only one bathrobe for two people though. The view of the harbour was spoilt a bit by the old windows which had sweated into the double glazing, so you couldn't see through them properly, they need to be replaced. I would rate this hotel between a 2-3 star

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Bryan and Jacqu... D
NCHR, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for the feedback. Please let me be the first to apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. I assure you that we take our guest feedback very seriously, we are currently working to fix the problems you have mentioned. If you would like to discuss your experience in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact our Hotel Director, Raj Gupta directly at raj.gupta@thewestinnovascotian.com.

Kind regards,
Guido Kerpel
Moncton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Westin for my first time a few weeks ago and I absolutely LOVED it. Prime location, beautiful property, the parking was a bit too expensive for my taste, but lovely, lovely room. The hotel itself was extremely noisy as it was a weekend that I stayed there and it is downtown, but I asked the staff to ask the guests a few doors down to quiet down (at 3 am..) and they did, so that was very nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business