“Nice Hotel, good value, a bit of a walk.”

The Westin Nova Scotian
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ontario
“Nice Hotel, good value, a bit of a walk.”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I received this Hotel on a priceline bid so it was a great value however it is about a 15 minute walk to the downtown retaurants and entertainment. The Hotel is showing it's age however they have upgraded it fairly well, besides the small bathrooms which are typical of a Hotel of this age the rooms are quite comfortable. The staff are your typically freindy Nova Scotians and always trying to please.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 1 March 2010

This hotel is ideally located within walking distance of all amenities. Next door is a large supermarket where you can purchase extra coffee since there was only one cup's worth of weak coffee provided in the room - not quite enough! - and a quick breakfast that won't cost you 12 dollars.

We were given a room with two double beds rather than a Queen or King sized bed. They were very small/short. The TV was flatscreen, but you couldn't adjust the settings which had been set to fill the screen even if the signal wasn't HD. The result: squashed everything. The vanity and drawers were nice looking.

I liked that we could open our windows, since it was very warm on Valentine's Day weekend. There is a safe in the room which is good for travel docs etc. and the style was soothing and fresh.

The bathroom was underwhelming: small (granted it's an old hotel) with a small chip in the granite counter. The shower was a little grungy, and had a serious hole in the tile near the tap. It leaked a bit. The shampoo was alright, but not the nicest I've had. Towels were fine.

There is a nice heated pool/jacuzzi and gym area in the hotel. We went for an early morning swim and the place was empty.

Service was exceptionally friendly. I would definitely go again if I could guarantee a larger bed.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
WestinHalifax_NS, Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel as well as the windows that open. We take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback. I do apologize for the cleanliness issues you encountered while staying with us. I assure you that is not the norm and we will look into this issue.

Westin Management
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Feb 26th we had stayed here at the westinn , the service is great and friendly and ready to help you with anything . The hotel is very very old . And you may not get a new room ! Our room was so old . It is just a let down because the pictures on the hotel site are NOTHING like the hotel . But it was clean and for a quick visit , its worth the money . We got it off the net for a very cheep price . Also bathrobes and extra towels were no where to be found ! Breakfast is 18 dollors and over-priced !!!!

• Stayed February 2010
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We were in Halifax to explore an employment opportunity and further education and were able to purchase discounted nights at the Westin. We arrived ahead of schedule, and were welcomed into a room, even though we were hours ahead of check-in. There was a woman-in-training behind the desk with a colleague, and both were extremely accommodating.

Our room on the tenth floor was wonderful. It was clean and bright. There were few outlets to be found, so my partner and I had some difficulties hooking up our computers. We were disappointed that we had to pay $10 a day for internet service, but it was entirely necessary for us to have the internet to arranging appointments, so we bit the bullet. Our only alternative was a constantly-occupied "business centre" with two PCs.

The internet did not end up working wirelessly, and I ended up spending at least 45 minutes on the phone with a off-site technician who was not able to resolve the issue. I called the main desk to inform them of this issue, and they comp'ed my internet and were able to get it working with wires. In this way, they were prompt to overcome the problem and apologize for the inconvenience, though it did not get me that time back.

We ordered room service late and were treated respectfully and promptly. The staff were all very courteous, bringing up several items we had forgotten in our travels. I was able to print from the business centre a small document with no charge, and there were no wonky charges on my final bill. Check-out was very smooth.

Overall, we definitely enjoyed our experience in Halifax, and our time at the Westin. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
meteghan
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I've been staying at the westin for the last 10yrs and have nothing but kind words to say about this place.Making reservations is usually brief as they recognise you from previous stays.Friendliness and a genuine welcome is always evident when I arrive.From bellmen to reservations,they are all very helpfull and all try to make your stay pleasureable.Last trip I was even greeted by the Manager on duty(Jesse Garden)who was more than cordial,bringing me to my room and taking his time to explain all entertainment in halifax on that evening.Very refreshing to see a manager who cares and is not bothered by questions.These points ,coupled with the fantastic food made for an awesome weekend.Nessim Hanna

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Yarmouth
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed at the Westin Sat. Feb 13th and our room was filthy! There were toothpaste stains all around the sink, the floor didn't seem vaccumed, the tub had hair in it and the bed had a stained pillow. Because we were only dropping off our bags and then heading out for the night, it was not possible for us to wait for another room. To make matters worse, the room was unbelievably hot, we turned down the temp, opned a window and slept without sheets, and we were still far too warm. Overall, this was NOT a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Middleton
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Celebrating Valentines Day I decided to take my girlfriend to Halifax for a romantic getaway. Having stayed at the Westin before on business I thought I would give her the same incredible experience I have come to enjoy at this hotel. It turned out to be just that. With impeccable staff, an elegant hotel and a delicious restaurant you cannot go wrong. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business