“Courteous service, well appointed rooms and delicious food”
Review of The Halliburton

The Halliburton
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Halliburton is a beautiful inn made up of three neighbouring historic homes with large, tastefully decorated rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is ideally located in downtown Halifax, within walking distance of all the main tourist attractions. In addition the hotel's restaurant- Stories- is exceptional with a focus on local/seasonal food- everything was delicious! They also offer a complimentary breakfast buffet (cereal/fruit/toast/eggs/coffee/tea) which is a nice treat. There is free WIFI as well. No complaints at all!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Halliburton for three nights in June. Compared to the other inns and B&Bs we stayed at on our trip the Halliburton was the most expensive and least impressive, but I suppose you should expect to pay more to stay in downtown Halifax than in the smaller towns on the east coast.

While there was nothing really wrong with the Halliburton there were a few things that could really make it a four star stay. First off, the breakfast was nothing special, maybe slightly better than the comfort inn continental but nowhere near the quality of the breakfasts served at some of the other places we stayed. While they did serve warm baked beans that was about it for warm food and the food choices did not change at all during our three night stay. A little variety from day to day would be nice.

Our room was in the building next door which I didn't particularly mind, however, everytime someone came in and out of the building the main door would slam shut and we could hear this in our room. Our room was enormous with a sitting area and a nice comfortable bed, but the bathroom was small in comparison. Likewise, the common areas of the hotel seemed cramped and small, but I do understand that part of this is due to the nature of the building and part of the Halliburton's charm is the fact that it is in a converted heritage building, so you have to work with what you have. Probably the best thing about the Halliburton is its location which is great for seeing Halifax. The staff was very polite and the girl I spoke to on the phone to make the reservation was extremely helpful.

Overall, I would stay again but only if the price was right. For $160 a night, it seemed to be missing that little something extra to make you feel like you were staying in an upper level hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This has been my favorite place to stay in Halifax. I have stayed here since they opened over 20 years ago, always for business. Here is what I found most attractive about The Halliburton - free parking, free continental breakfast and easy access (if you request the right room) to your car and the street. Note, the breakfast is always the same, so do not expect any variety. I have never seen anyone eat the beans! There are some bargain priced rooms (eg 210) on the lower level that are very quiet and work well. Up until a couple of years ago, I would not have had any negative comments, but have noticed an overall decline in the product in the past few years.

In the past year, the staff has forgot to clean my room. They apologized and provided a basket of inexpensive items. I joined their "business club" which promised all sorts of benefits. To this date, I have never received an email or any "perk" associated with this club. It still remains a mystery to me what it means to belong to this program. The rooms are not really great for working at a desk, as the furniture is antique and although attractive, not suited for computer work. The light is also poor for working and task lighting is weak. Bathroom lighting is not great and only a couple of rooms have shaving/make-up mirrors. The hair dryers that I have had in my rooms are older models and very weak.

I have found in the past two stays, my room has unused feel and the heat has not been turned up, even though I had a reservation. I stayed in a room that is very noisy- right up from the main desk and complained about the noise. I was assigned the same room last month - did they see the info on my customer file? Again, it was noisy and I had to call the desk.

I have averaged about 6 - 15 nights a year, and would think the hotel would want to work hard to keep a customer like me, but they seem very unfocused in their approach to this. I have never received any promotional correspondence from them or communication about events - I assume they are busy enough and do not need to promote their product.

At one time, The Halliburton had the boutique hotel market nailed, but there are now other products that are more competitive, located close by. I have been trying these out in the past year, so look for some additional reviews in the coming year.

Here is my summary -

Still good value for money if you can get one of the cheaper rooms.
If you cannot handle carrying luggage up stairs, stay elsewhere.
If you are a business traveler, shop around.

The property could use some updating and perhaps a CRM (client relationship management) system.

Business travelers like consistency and no surprises.

I can certainly say in my early days, their service and overall condition of the hotel was excellent.

Room Tip: Best prices are lower level in the next building. Room 210 is recommended is less than $100/night at...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Just a short stroll to the waterfront and in a central location this Hotel is ideal for the tourist who wants a comfortable base at a reasonable price to explore the city. The continental breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful to particular needs. Having a free car park on site was a bonus. We did not book in advance and the only way they could fit us in was with a room change after day 1 which was lucky for us as the first room (I think it was rm 111) had an air vent from the kitchen outside the window so avoid if possible. Other than that the rooms were comfortable and we would book again if we ever came back.

Room Tip: A fairly quite neighbourhood but would prefer rooms at the back.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Very quiet and comfortable, the Halliburton has nice breakfasts and is centrally located in Halifax. Plumbing is a bit old. The hotel is composed of several adjacent buildings, and you have to drag your luggage up steep stairs, and may have to move between buildings for breakfast or dinner. Staff are very responsive to problems. Good value for the price. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get the main building!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This hotel has a great location - close to the water, shops and restaurants. It was nice that parking was included as many large hotels charge about $20/night for parking. The hallway did smell a bit musty and old but the room was just fine. It was clean and had decent linens. Breakfast was good for being continental - fresh fruit salad, yogurt, bagels, cereal and more.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed here in September - I was sent here on business and typically stay at "business" hotels... So I get there and I'm thinking, 'oh, no....' But it turned out to be quaint, cool, a bit of a throw-back but it worked!

I was in a suite, had a nice sitting room, decent bedroom, very quiet. The place is old - don't expect a marble and glass bathroom. Come on, you're in Halifax! Let that stuff go a little... WiFi was a bit slow, I'll be honest. but for email, barely survivable. Big files to download? Streaming media? No. not gonna happen.

No gym. The breakfast was not great - little toast, hardboiled egg, some kind of cake, so-so fruit salad. Meh. Oh, and they lock the front door after midnight and give you a key! No 24 hr concierge here.

Like I said... it's a restored 100+ year old house. If you feel like doing something different, give it a whirl.

Room Tip: Get the suite! Fireplace, sitting room, separate alcove for bed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business