The Halliburton
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites(Halifax)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$161
  • Restaurant
US$237
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
Cambridge Suites - Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$223
US$163
US$158
Agoda.com
The Westin Nova Scotian(Halifax)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$187
US$221
US$216
US$203
US$182
Homewood
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake(Halifax)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$132
All reviewsmain buildingboutique hotelhalliburton housegrand suitegreat locationcontinental breakfastfree parkingno liftsmall hoteldowntown halifaxwithin walking distancemobility issuesthird flooryogurthard boiled eggsnova scotiasitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2008

We stayed at the Halliburton for two nights and enjoyed our stay. The check-in staff were very friendly and helpful.
Our room was on the second floor up some narrow stairs which made getting to it with luggage a little awkward. I would agree with other reviews that the rooms could have been a bit bigger and ours had an air conditioning unit in it that meant the window always had to be open so you got some noise from outside.
The breakfast was a good spread but there were not many tables.
The hotel was ideally located to explore the city which we did on foot.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We recently returned from staying at the Halliburton in Nova
Scotia for two nights. It is a very nice hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the staff couldn't have been better. However, we didn't eat at their restaurant because it was very expensive. A week later, after reurning home, I was very dismayed to find a letter stating that I was smoking in their non-smoking room and they charged my credit card for $200 to clean the room because of the smell of smoke. I did not smoke in this hotel because it was a non-smoking hotel and I abided by the rules. I did smoke outside on the sidewalk and in the rear parking lot. When I finished smoking, I chinged my cigarette and put the butts in my pocket, which I disposed of in the waste basket in the room. That was the only way that the smell of smoke could be in the room and I don't think that would cause the room to be unusable. So beware, if you are a smoker. Do not put butts in a hotel room waste basket. I am furious because I went to so much trouble to not smoke in their hotel, and yet I get hit with a $200 fine. There ought to be a law.

2  Thank Breeg
Reviewed 29 July 2008

There are three parts to this "boutique hotel" – the reception and dining area is in one building and then across an alley are two parts of a terrace with more bedrooms. The location is a few minutes from the waterside and the main central area. The parking area is small and tightly packed – there may be a shortage of spaces for late arrivals. Our room was not in the main brick building, but in the wood covered Pryor-Binney house - the outside of which needs a touch up, at least. It was small (as described),with a large bathroom (shower over bath) which was poorly lit (one light above the mirror for a large room). There was a generous closet and a door onto a small balcony with seating overlooking the patio & car park areas at the rear. The breakfast (included) was buffet style in the reception building. There was mixed fruit salad, cereals, pastries, bread etc - good, but not of the standard of some B & B/Inns. There is a library area by reception with newspapers (at least early in the day) and a computer with internet access. Other than breakfast we did not use the restaurant.

I've just read the more recent reviews and have to differ - our feeling was that this was a good, but not outstanding hotel; it did not disappoint, but it wasn't the best of our trip.

Reviewed 29 July 2008

Encouraged by the trip advisor rating of #1 in Halifax we booked in. This is not a top establishment and we paid less for better accommodation elsewhere in Nova Scotia.

We had a top floor front facing room. The street outside is quiet during the day but at night becomes a busy route for heavy commercial vehicles who toil noisily up the hill all night, and for emergency vehicles going to the nearby hospital who were not shy about using their sirens at night.

The room finish was so-so and was clean enough but not exciting. The air conditioning was a stand alone unit in our sitting room which proved inadequate to cool the bedroom during a hot spell.

The breakfast was the worst feature with inadequate seats for the numbers of guests, with a very limited unchanging menu, inadequate quantities of glasses for juice and crockery, coupled with a moaning waitress who complained about about these issues to anyone who asked for anything.

There is no lift and we received grudging help with our cases to our top floor room.

In fairness there is an evening restaurant where we had an excellent dinner. Some individual staff members were delightful

Overall an establishment living on its reputation. Badly in need of a revamp in terms of facilities and attitudes.

4  Thank hopefultraveller015
Reviewed 17 July 2008

The Halliburton is definitely one of the best boutique hotels I have stayed for a long time. The location is prime, the food was amazing, and not to mention the wine at dinner the first night. It is a little slice of wonderfulness! There is a little courtyard in the back of the property that is perfect for small events or to just lounge around a drink some coffee, etc. Go there! You'll love it!

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)