“Great Location and Value”
Review of Waverley Inn

Waverley Inn
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Atlanta, Ga
“Great Location and Value”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My parents and I enjoyed our stay at the Waverly Inn. The location was central and convenient. The breakfast was nice and the room was comfortable. Definitely recommend this location for a stay in Halifax.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RForbes300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
TORONTO
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Waverley Inn was a great inn and I would certainly stay here again. The location is perfect and is within a 10 minute walk to everything downtown Halifax has to offer. Upon check in the nice young man at the counter (always dressed in a nice brightly coloured shirt) was of excellent help for pub, restaurant and attraction suggestions and was helpful in arranging for a second nights stay at the inn on last minute notice. I wish I got his name because he was outstanding (Waverly please take note... he was at the desk @ 7pm Oct. 3)

The main floor of the inn has a little lobby area with some sofas and access to a computer/internet and printer (complimentary). There is also a coffee/tea/treat station (also complimentary). Plenty of onsite parking is available (free).

The inn is rich with history with name placards of historically significant people who have stayed at the inn (Oscar Wilde, PT Barnum among others) on each door. The maids were nice enough to let me poke my head into the Oscar Wilde room after it was cleaned (the previous guest had checked out). There was a nice portrait of him in the room and a beautiful map laminated on the desk). My room was spacious, in good repair, and pretty clean. It had the right balance of old world charm and modernity. Some things were starting to get tired (bathroom) but only slightly.

The inn doors are locked at 11pm and you need to buzz to be let in by the person at the front desk. At first I thought this was annoying but on reflection it keeps excellent control of who's coming into the inn.

One thing I did not like was the included breakfast. Premade frozen pancakes, thick slices of processed ham (not deli slices), frozen hash browns, and hard boiled eggs everyday made for an unimaginative breakfast. There were also 2 types of cereal, a small selection of fresh fruit, tea/coffee, breads, muffins, 2 types of juice etc. were also available. I would have liked to see the selection lessened in favour of a little more effort/quality in the breakfast items. While the selection was technically better than a Continental breakfast, its execution was poor and therefore the benefit null.

Room Tip: For a little bit of history ask for the Oscar Wilde or Vanderbilt room. For a spacious and comfortab...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Deep River, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Our stay at the Waverley was very pleasant. Not a large room but quite adequate. We did not experience noise from the street - we had a side room. The buiding was so much more interesting than a cookie cutter type of modern hotel.Breakfast was adequate - a few more improvements could be made in order to bring the standard up.
The location is excellent and the staff worked hard to be as helpful as possible.

Room Tip: Choose a side room and not the smallest size if there are two persons.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed at the Waverly Hotel for 4 nights. The hotel is quaint, very old, lots of antiques, which gives the hotel character. The rooms indeed slope which is somewhat understandable, but my bed sloped as well, which was not a great hardship as I was traveling alone. If I had been with my husband we would have talked to the management about changing rooms.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful with suggestions of tours, etc. There were lots of umbrellas at the door to use if it was raining (which is was on several days).
The hotel is close to the pier and to the Citadel and within walking distance to lots of great restaurants, pubs and there is a blues bar across the street, that was fun to visit. Unfortunately the noise/music goes on well into the wee hours and can disturb your sleep.
I was not amazed by the breakfast that was included in the cost, but would be adequate for most.

Room Tip: As far away from the street as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Arans
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Excellent service with very friendly Staff in a central and ideal location downtown Halifax. This victorian house has been restored and decorated with taste. This Inn has lots of Character, breakfast is included and you can help yourself to complimentary tea and coffee

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Seguin, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night at the beginning of our vacation and two at the end. The positives are the staff (whom we found very helpful and nice), the location (which is ideal for downtown Halifax) and the free parking. The rooms are neutral. Ours was small but clean and adequate. It was what I expected in a converted Victorian home. The setting is quite nice overall but the rooms are what they are. The negative is the breakfast. It is a buffet of mostly unhealthy items without much quality. If you like hard boiled eggs, toast or bagels, and cereal, you are in luck. We typically get better breakfasts at B&Bs. There are very good restaurants nearby, as well as pubs and a blues club. However we do not notice any undue noise, we were there over a weekend. Overall, a good experience.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed at this inn for two nights, only because it was the last nights of our vacation. Unfortunately, this inn was referred to us by the another B&B, which is also a member of "Unique Country Inns". Our room was on a slope, you actually felt that you were going to fall out of the bed. There was a blues bar across the street, which we could here until late, the traffic was extremely loud and you could here the city buses go by. There was no way you could have a quiet, peaceful sleep. The best part was when I checked out, she asked how I enjoyed our stay, I told her I didn't, I also mentioned that I completed the comment card, which stated my concerns and all she could say was that was too bad and charged me, the full price of the room. Seriously, if someone at the front desk, can't deal with complaints don't have them do that job. Never again.

Room Tip: Do not have a room in the front of the building.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Realfoodmatters
CBlades, Manager at Waverley Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Thank you for staying at the Waverley Inn and providing feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Our street facing rooms are susceptible to some street noise. Even though they are double glazed it is unavoidable in our downtown location. With a heritage property (c. 1865) we do have a few rooms with floors that slope by about 1/4 inch. It is noticable but not a significant concern for most guests. Some even feel it adds to the character of the property. If you had brought your concerns to us after your first night's stay we would have offered a solution to make your second night more comfortable. When I spoke to the front desk employee that handled your check out she mentioned that you did not state the details of your dissatisfaction only that you had completed the comment card and left it in the room. We try our best to offer fine hospitality and good customer service but in order for us to deliver on that commitment we need the opportunity to rectify your concerns prior to departure. We have a front desk staffed 24 hours per day that would and do gladly address any guest concerns. We hope you allow us the opportunity to demonstrate this on a future stay at the Waverley.