“Elegant charm”
Review of Waverley Inn

Waverley Inn
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 22 July 2009

The Waverley has a lot of personality and charm. The lobby is gorgeous and luxurious, with bonus amenities like a computer with printer available, and self-serve sweets and coffee/tea during the day. Our room on the second floor was elegant, with a huge, high King bed and beautiful linens. The bathroom had modern amenities, with a jacuzzi tub that we were disappointed not to use. I'm a light sleeper, and the double windows blocked out any sound from outside, and I didn't hear anything from within the hotel. Even the air-conditioner wasn't obnoxiously loud.

It was a bit sad to see what modern upgrades had done to the character (e.g. exposed sprinkler pipes, tv and bar fridge in the closet). The grand old lady must have been quite luxurious and posh in her day. She still retains her personality and elegance and sense of history.

Breakfast was simple, but there were decent hot and cold options.

The Inn is about a 10-minute walk from the main downtown attractions.

Definitely recommended, especially for those who appreciate character and history in architecture.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StHyde

Reviewed 28 June 2009

We very much enjoyed our four nights at this lovely, well situated inn. The three nights in the premium room were admittedly more comfortable than the one night booked errantly in a room with only a double. We really appreciated the internet access and even a printer to print off our boarding passes for e-check-in flight home. There were always some homemade treats and tea coffee at the entry way. Staff were professional, courteous and helpful. Inn was very clean.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My husband and I spent one night at the Waverley Inn in a beautifully appointed room with a private Jacuzzi bath. The furnishings and linens were gorgeous and we were in absolute comfort during our stay. The staff there are incredibly helpful and directed us to a selection of great restaurants and bars, and when we returned we made ourselves complementary cups of tea in the foyer. We hadn't realized there was a complementary breakfast and although it wasn't at the same level as some smaller B&B's, it was perfectly fine and there was more than enough food to fill up on! All in all, it is a great inn that is perfectly placed to explore Halifax by foot. The only complaint I can think of is that the walls/doors are rather thin so the rooms are not completely private, but if that is a problem for you I'm sure the very helpful staff would direct you to a back room.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I stayed at the Waverley Inn in the first week of May. I liked that the Waverley was in a central location, the staff were friendly. My room was small and dark though.
The breakfast was good but there could be more choices available.
Other than that my stay was great.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2009

We stayed 2 nights in a cozy old style room with a canopy bed. The room was very quaint in an inn well populated with period furniture and artworks. We enjoyed the old fashioned cast iron piping that stuck out in rather random places in the building as it added to the architectural mystery of the old place. There was perpetual tea and coffee available in the foyer along with evening treats of various types. Breakfasts were extremely comprehensive and no shortage of good food. Staff were very helpful on navigating around downtown and recommended a vist to the Saturday morning market on the waterfront - well worth it! Location was very convenient with good walking access to the downtown highlights including the Citadel, shopping, Public Garden and other features including the waterfront. It was a very pleasant stay and affordable.

Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 18 February 2009

If you're someone who is extremely picky and is looking to be pampered and waited on hand and foot during your stay, then you might very well hate this hotel. If you're looking for an affordable hotel in a great city with friendly helpful service and a lot of charm, you may be like me and love it. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever stayed at any hotel I love more.

Pros:
-The staff and the people. We're stayed in this hotel on part of each and every one of the 5 trips we've taken to Nova Scotia and the staff has always been very friendly and helpful. Their advice on where to go and how to get there has always been top notch and they've never been afraid to tell you where not to go if you ask about a particular restaurant or attraction. In addition to the staff, we've also met friendly people staying in the hotel from all over the world.
-Location. Within walking distance of everything in downtown Halifax including the waterfront.
-Price for the location. Hotel was taken over by new owners a few years ago and their rates aren't nearly as cheap as they once were, but for Halifax they're still a good deal.
-The breakfast area and continental breakfast in general. I preferred the breakfast area upstairs to the one they now have set up in the basement, but the new area is bigger.
-It's a hotel with history and the accomodations (while not to everyone's taste) reflect that.

Cons:
-The cheaper rooms are rather small.
-Some people people will likely consider the accomodations to be tacky.
-3 floors and no elevator- not a big deal for us, might be for others.
-I agree with the criticism that the rooms at the front of the hotel can be rather noisy, but hey, whenever we're in Halifax we always have so much to do that we're so tired at night & can sleep through practically anything.
-New ownership has taken steps to make some updates. Last time we were there they had added free internet terminals in the room off the lobby. Some may see this as a plus and while I used the terminals while I was there, I still thought it took away of some of the charm.

In summary, while it's not a 4 star hotel and doesn't offer all the amenities that you would get in one, it offers charm and friendliness that you can't get many other places.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnbuk
Reviewed 17 December 2008

My husband and I have been staying here a few times per year, when we want to go into the city for a concert, to shop, a nice getaway. In the past we tried normal chain hotels and the Garden Inn downtown, very ordinary and as far as I'm concerned the value for the money is just not there. A friend recommended the Waverley a few years ago and we weren't disappointed. It is beautiful, sometimes quirky, definitely clean, welcoming, with a wonderful buffet breakfast. Perfect location for enjoying the downtown without having to drive anywhere. If you are looking for the sterile, cookie-cutter environment of a chain hotel, you wont find it here. It is a welcoming boutique hotel that would cost twice as much in any other city. Most of the rooms aren't very big and don't have a view, but they make up for it with the beautiful furnishings and decor and luxurious feather bedding. After roaming around in the city all day you really do want a quiet, pampering, homey haven to go back to. By the way, the web photos do not do it justice.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank WoollyBear67