“Perfect stay”

Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
“Perfect stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2005

We stayed in a small room with a double bed which was very simple but comfortable. We stayed for 3 days and after touring Cape Breton, we returned for our last night and had a fabulous room decorated with Oriental style antiques, that was phenomenal. Everything was perfect - the breakfast was great, the afternoon tea/coffee and cookies was very appreciated after a long day of sightseeing. The staff was so friendly and helpful that it sort of felt like coming home each day. Internet access in the lovely lobby. Great restaurant next door and a short walk to the harbour area. I recommend the Waverley highly whether you want a clean economical place to stay or an exquisitely decorated room at a price that is still very reasonable. The only challenge is hauling luggage up the stairs, so you might want to ask for a ground floor room if that would be difficult for you.

Stayed July 2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2005

My wife and I spent a Saturday and Sunday night here in June 2005. We chose it because of its location near downtown and the waterfront, and because of its history. The location turned out to be very convenient, within walking distance of both. Be aware, however, that much of Halifax closes on Sunday. As for the building itself, it was interesting enough that we spent some time just wandering the halls. Parking was free and so was internet access on two of their terminals in a sitting area. The continental breakfast included in the room rate was convenient and average.

My only problem with our stay was our room. We had one of the three rooms on the first floor near the office. The bed was comfortable, the furnishings fit the decor, and the facilities were clean but it was obvious that a much larger space, probably a reception area, had been chopped up to make two or three smaller bedrooms. We had large columns in our room holding up a cornice that disappeared into the adjacent wall. It's too bad this area wasn't left in its original state. Maybe breakfast could have been there instead of the basement.

Given what's included in the rate and its location, I would stay here again. I would, however, try a different room. The staff was friendly and fairly helpful. By the way, The Henry House next door has a good dinner menu and a nice pub in the basement.

Stayed June 2005
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2005

I can't say enough good things about our stay at the Waverley Inn.
We stayed in a moderate room, and while relatively small, at $119 it's one of the most affordable rooms in downtown Halifax.
The staff were extremely friendly and personable, the continental breakfast (tea/coffee, juices, toast, raisin toast, bagels, fruit, cereals, yogurt, muffins, croissants, cheeses) excellent, and the bed comfortable.
Each afternoon and evening there was tea, coffee and cookies offered in the foyer, which was always very welcomed. In the sitting room, there were two computers with internet access; an added bonus.
The decor is Victorian chintz all the way, but feels quite glamorous as opposed to overdone. Antiques are everywhere, including your room.
I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on my next visit to Halifax. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank Roam the World
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2005

Even before I left my laptop behind, this was already my favourite Canadian hotel.

I'd been traveling across Canada, from Victoria to Charlottetown, promoting my book, Mute. (As a novelist I was intrigued by the fact that Oscar Wilde once stayed at the Waverley.) This was the eleventh hotel I'd stayed at in under a month.

No other hotel I'd visited presented delicious home-baked cookies and coffee to the guests. Nor did any offer the use of its own email address to any whom for some reason found him or herself without one. (Not to mention free wireless Internet access - a $10 a day upcharge at the more expensive hotel down the road.)

The staff was amazing, the room was gorgeous, the price was unbeatable, and the bed was like a cloud. After two heavenly nights at the Waverley, I was happy to return yet once more when I finished touring the Maritimes. It was like coming home.

In a rush to get to the airport, I discovered too late that my laptop had been left behind. I called the hotel before boarding, and was assured that it was safe and would be expidited to me. The next day, it arrived at my Edmonton office - the tote bag shrouded in bubble wrap and packed in a giant box full of foam peanuts. The UPS plane could have crashed, and my laptop would still have been fine!

Stay at the Waverley. Taste history. Savour the warmth of the staff. I certainly will again!

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2005

We stayed at the Waverley for 3 nights and found the service to be helpful and pleasant, and the free internet downstairs a bonus. We had the deluxe room with a jacuzzi, and the four poster bed was extra comfortable, and the room very clean. There was cereal, bagels, bread, and muffins for breakfast. However, the breakfast room was downstairs so it was a bit dark, and there could have been some soft music to make the room a bit more appealing.

• Stayed March 2005