“A little overrated”
Review of Waverley Inn

Waverley Inn
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 7 December 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Waverly based on Trip Advisor's raving reviews in Sept 2005. It was "wacky" and one of a kind, but we found as we traveled through Nova Scotia's lovely inns and B&Bs, that there were many more comfortable and charming places to stay elsewhere. Perhaps this is the best that Halifax has to offer, but I wouldn't base myself out of the Waverly for too many days for fear that accomodations elsewhere might not be up to snuff. Quite the opposite.

Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank sari_mak
There are newer reviews for Waverley Inn

Reviewed 24 October 2005

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Waverley Inn for 2 nights. This place is really nice! It is very clean, classy and has that "old world charm" feeling to it. The rooms are exquisitely decorated with lots of nice touches. For example, extra big fluffy pillows, extra blankets, the beds are high up off the floor, like in the "old days." The rooms are very unique, not boring or run-of-the-mill like major chain hotels' rooms. The rooms are spacious enough for one's needs, I found.

The staff is very nice and friendly. The guest feels welcome. There are 2 laptop computers for guests' use any time of day; no charge to use these computers, which are just off the lobby area. Breakfast downstairs was nice, filling and adequate. Breakfast consisted of cereals, breads, bagels, fruits, juices, coffee, tea. There was a toaster there for one's use. Breakfast was not "hot table", so there was no bacon, eggs, sausage or stuff like that. Just to let you know what to expect there.

Also an extra nice touch was ..... from 4 PM to 9 PM, there are refreshments consisting of coffee (regular & decaf), various teas, and cookies/pastries spread out in the lobby on the table for the guests. Not many places do this!

The hotel is in a nice area, not far from VIA rail and also only 2 blocks away is a big grocery store, in case you need stuff for your trip. The hotel is within walking distance to Halifax's downtown and sightseeings.

I did not see an elevator here, there are 3 floors to the hotel. Overall, this is a very pleasant place to stay at, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who comes to Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank HumnaHumna
Reviewed 1 September 2005

My husband and I stayed here with our two teenage daugthers in August, 2005. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, nicely decorated. The breakfasts were self-serve and simple, but adequate. The Inn is a good location for walking to the sights of Halifax and we highly recommend the Henry House as a place for dinner (just down the street). We would stay her again!

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank MSP0517
Reviewed 26 August 2005

My husband and I stayed at Halifax's Waverley Inn twice in August of 2005. Our first visit was for 4 days. We stayed in a moderate room, which was small, but comfortable, had a compact, clean bathroom and was certainly worth the rate of $119 +tax. The self-serve buffet breakfast was good for that sort of thing. We found the free internet (two access terminals in the lobby) useful and we only had to wait once to use it. The afternoon refreshments (coffee, tea and cookies) in the lobby were a definite treat after a day of sight-seeing! The location is great - just 10 minutes walk to the main tourist areas, and the free parking is a bonus in a city where parking is at a premium. We enjoyed our stay.
Our second visit was a week later when we stayed overnight before flying out of Halifax. Again we stayed in a moderate room, but this room was poorly laid out, cramped and uncomfortable. The window overlooked a large construction site next door - not really an issue, until 6:30 am when the workers arrived and started moving heavy machinery around, about 20 feet from our window. (Does Halifax not have bylaws regulating hours of construction work?) We mentioned it to the desk when we checked out and the clerk blew it off. If we hadn't had to be up early that morning anyway, I would have been extremely disappointed, and if we hadn’t had a good experience the week before I wouldn’t go back.
During our stays we walked by the open doors of many very nice looking rooms, so I would suggest going the extra mile for a fancier room, or if you do get a moderate one and you are uncomfortable, ask to be moved. I would go back, but only with that in mind.

5  Thank cow_owl
Reviewed 10 August 2005

I first stayed at the Waverly Inn because Oscar Wilde had stayed here on one of his North American tours--and now I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Halifax. Parking is free, you can easily walk to downtown and the Historic Properties, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the free continental breakfast is far better than most. I also like being able to grab a cup of coffee and a snack when I return from a daily excursion or before turning in for the night. I love the ambience, with the beautiful antique furnishings coupled with the very modern bathrooms. My last two visits were with my daughter, and we've stayed both times in the Roman Sisters Room--two canopy beds and a Jacuzzi bath, which is nice and relaxing after hiking the hills of Halifax. There's a great pub (Granite Brewery) a short walk on the same street--good pub food and great microbrewed beer, and you're also just a short walk from the main shopping street and the beautiful public gardens--very Victorian and peaceful in the midst of the city.

• Stayed: August 2003
2  Thank Paulette B
Reviewed 9 August 2005

We stayed in a small room with a double bed which was very simple but comfortable. We stayed for 3 days and after touring Cape Breton, we returned for our last night and had a fabulous room decorated with Oriental style antiques, that was phenomenal. Everything was perfect - the breakfast was great, the afternoon tea/coffee and cookies was very appreciated after a long day of sightseeing. The staff was so friendly and helpful that it sort of felt like coming home each day. Internet access in the lovely lobby. Great restaurant next door and a short walk to the harbour area. I recommend the Waverley highly whether you want a clean economical place to stay or an exquisitely decorated room at a price that is still very reasonable. The only challenge is hauling luggage up the stairs, so you might want to ask for a ground floor room if that would be difficult for you.

Stayed: July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 August 2005

My wife and I spent a Saturday and Sunday night here in June 2005. We chose it because of its location near downtown and the waterfront, and because of its history. The location turned out to be very convenient, within walking distance of both. Be aware, however, that much of Halifax closes on Sunday. As for the building itself, it was interesting enough that we spent some time just wandering the halls. Parking was free and so was internet access on two of their terminals in a sitting area. The continental breakfast included in the room rate was convenient and average.

My only problem with our stay was our room. We had one of the three rooms on the first floor near the office. The bed was comfortable, the furnishings fit the decor, and the facilities were clean but it was obvious that a much larger space, probably a reception area, had been chopped up to make two or three smaller bedrooms. We had large columns in our room holding up a cornice that disappeared into the adjacent wall. It's too bad this area wasn't left in its original state. Maybe breakfast could have been there instead of the basement.

Given what's included in the rate and its location, I would stay here again. I would, however, try a different room. The staff was friendly and fairly helpful. By the way, The Henry House next door has a good dinner menu and a nice pub in the basement.

Stayed: June 2005