“good value; clean and comfortable”
Review of Waverley Inn

and 1 more site!
Waverley Inn
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“good value; clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 1 June 2006

We stayed here for one night before leaving Halifax, after returning from Cape Breton. Excellent location, clean, comfortable, very good value for the money. I don't think we would have stayed longer than a night or two however; it was a bit too small and cramped.

• Stayed June 2003
5 Thank megasmile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2006

This place is a hiden gem in Halifax. What a great value for your hard earned dollar. We stayed here for 8 night (March 30 - April 7) and it exceeded my expectations. The room rates are good but what makes this place is the added value and personal touch it has.
Free Parking
Free Local Calls
Free Continetial Breakfast (Eggs, French Toast, etc.)
Free Internet Use
Free Afternoon Coffee and Baked goods
Great Location
Nice and very knowledgable Staff
and the Inn is Very Clean

We only had one problem, and that was with our room location. We had a room one the first floor near the reception area and stairs to the breakfast room. There was noise almost every moring which cause some fustration while sleeping.

I highly recommend this Inn! If you can go without a pool, workout facility and saunas that a large chain hotel can provide then this is the place to stay in Halifax.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank mciolfi
Moncton, NB
Reviewed 1 February 2006

I was in Halifax with a friend for part of the weekend and, although the shopping experience and the clubbing were subpar, the room we booked at the last minute at the Waverly Inn was very nice and clean.

There seems to have been a slight issue with the plumbing in our room (hence the 4/5 rating) but, otherwise, everything was just fine.

We expected toast, eggs and coffee as our free continental breakfast but were very surprised with the nice selection of foods available in their dining area, especially given the reasonable rate for the room.

The internet stations downstairs were a nice touch and the bedding, bathroom and floors were the cleanest I'd seen in any hotel room.

I've already started recommending the Waverly Inn to my friends and relatives and am glad to give them this well-deserved positive review on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank Stephane T
Brockville, Ontario
Reviewed 8 January 2006

We arrived in Halifax in the rain with our yet to be set up tent and camping gear still in the trunk. The Tall Ships were in town for one more night so of course, there were very few rooms to be had. After several unsuccessfull phone attempts, I said to my husband "there is an inn - do you want me to try?". SUCCESS! We booked for one evening (as my husband doesn't like B&B style inns) much to my happiness. We stayed for 4 days in 3 different rooms and the only reason we didn't stay for 5 was because they were full! My husband has since changed his mind on B&B Inns - thanks strictly to The Waverly.

The room rates for mid- summer were very reasonable ($150-$190). The staff were incredible, the rooms sumptuous, the breakfast fulfilling and overall an absolutely splendid experience! I would highly recommend this inn to any couple looking for a romantic or recharging get-away.

We will definately be staying here on our next trip to Halifax.

• Stayed August 2004
8 Thank jodubya
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 December 2005

Just to add a "local" comment... we live several hours from Halifax and we've stayed at the Waverley probably ten times over the years. It's different, it's unique, it's special.

Yes you'll find strange arrangements of rooms, since it's been chopped, sliced, and extended over the years into the rooms it now has, but that adds a certain charm. The furnishings are fantastic... an Antiques Roadshow right in your room!

Over the years we've stayed in many of the notable rooms-- The Oscar Wilde (our fav, looking over Barrington Street-- though his ghost has fortunately never appeared), the Roman Sisters, etc. There are a couple of cubby-holes we would avoid, but most of the rest of them are fascinating.

The ability to make your own breakfast, read the paper, and chat with other guests while admiring the fantastic antique dining furniture is a morning treat, especially for an early riser like me, and being able to pop in for a snack during the day is great.

And Christmas! Fantastic Victorian decorations abound to make it a dream world!

If you want the stark white formula of a newer hotel, have it... the Waverley is special.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 7 December 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Waverly based on Trip Advisor's raving reviews in Sept 2005. It was "wacky" and one of a kind, but we found as we traveled through Nova Scotia's lovely inns and B&Bs, that there were many more comfortable and charming places to stay elsewhere. Perhaps this is the best that Halifax has to offer, but I wouldn't base myself out of the Waverly for too many days for fear that accomodations elsewhere might not be up to snuff. Quite the opposite.

Stayed September 2005
2 Thank sari_mak
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2005

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Waverley Inn for 2 nights. This place is really nice! It is very clean, classy and has that "old world charm" feeling to it. The rooms are exquisitely decorated with lots of nice touches. For example, extra big fluffy pillows, extra blankets, the beds are high up off the floor, like in the "old days." The rooms are very unique, not boring or run-of-the-mill like major chain hotels' rooms. The rooms are spacious enough for one's needs, I found.

The staff is very nice and friendly. The guest feels welcome. There are 2 laptop computers for guests' use any time of day; no charge to use these computers, which are just off the lobby area. Breakfast downstairs was nice, filling and adequate. Breakfast consisted of cereals, breads, bagels, fruits, juices, coffee, tea. There was a toaster there for one's use. Breakfast was not "hot table", so there was no bacon, eggs, sausage or stuff like that. Just to let you know what to expect there.

Also an extra nice touch was ..... from 4 PM to 9 PM, there are refreshments consisting of coffee (regular & decaf), various teas, and cookies/pastries spread out in the lobby on the table for the guests. Not many places do this!

The hotel is in a nice area, not far from VIA rail and also only 2 blocks away is a big grocery store, in case you need stuff for your trip. The hotel is within walking distance to Halifax's downtown and sightseeings.

I did not see an elevator here, there are 3 floors to the hotel. Overall, this is a very pleasant place to stay at, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who comes to Halifax.

• Stayed October 2005