“Very happy with the Waverley Inn”
Review of Waverley Inn

and 1 more site!
Waverley Inn
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Edmonton, Canada
“Very happy with the Waverley Inn”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My husband and I passed through Halifax three times on our three week Atlantic Canada trip, and the Waverley Inn was the first place we had the pleasure of resting our heads while there. We spent three nights and were both very impressed. The Inn has been open since the late 1800s and is not showing her age at all. From the outside of the building to the main lobby to the rooms, everything is beautiful and well done. Beautiful hardwood floors throughout . When we checked in, the man at the front desk (I believe his name was Matt, I might be wrong) was genuinely friendly and excellent at his job. I came across him a few times during our stay and he was always this way.

We stayed in a Traditional room ($129/night in high season) on the second floor, which was small but cozy, not suffocating at all. I am not an easy sleeper, and the bed in that room was arguably the most
comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was soft, the way I like it, and had this amazing V-shaped pillow that knocked me out instantly. Note - there is not an elevator in the building. Breakfast was included in the price and we both found it to be quite sufficient. Cereal, yogurt, fruit, hashbrowns, eggs, oatmeal, juice.... There was also a little table next to the front desk that had cookies or squares each day, along with some apples, and coffee and tea. I really appreciated this as it was nice to grab an apple or a cookie for the road. The Inn has free Wifi and a computer in the lobby as well.

The Inn is located in a quiet part of downtown, about a 10 minute walk from the waterfront, the Citadel, shopping and almost everything else you'll want to get to in Halifax. We had a rental car as we were heading out of the city quite a bit, and a huge bonus for us was the free parking provided in a good sized lot right beside the Inn.

I also have to add that when I phoned from home to book the room months before our stay, the man on the phone was also extremely helpful and nice. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone going to Halifax. We stayed in three different hotels in Halifax, and this was the best.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Beautifully furnished and well maintained Victorian boutique hotel. Short walk to some cool bars and restaurants. The most outstanding thing was the helpfulness of all of the staff - very impressive!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2010

What I loved:
- The Waverley is housed in a Victorian building and is furnished with antiques (although the bathrooms are modern). The guest lounge is cozy and warm, creating an atmosphere in which guests often talk to each other.
- The bed in my room was just like one I remember from childhood (probably in my grandparents' home), which added to the charm. Plus, it was wonderfully comfortable! It was firm enough not to sag, while also having the top few inches plush. I slept very well.
- The staff knows a great deal about Halifax and the surrounding area, and they even have a custom map printed up, with directions on how to get to Peggy's Cove and other points west.

The so-sos:
- The buffet breakfast was ordinary, the kind of thing I'd expect at a Hampton Inn. It was plentiful and perfectly edible, but nothing to write home about.
- The location is convenient to everything but you have to walk a couple of blocks to get anywhere other than a few restaurants. You can think of that as good in that it's quieter this way, or you can think of it as less convenient (especially at night). I didn't mind it, really, as I was aiming to walk a lot anyhow.

What I'd change:
- The coffee was not good - weak and with too little taste.
- I'd increase the counter/shelf space in the bathroom and would add a light over the mirror.
- Oh, and I could have done without hearing Frank Sinatra at breakfast.

Note: The hotel has no elevator. It does have accessible rooms on the first floor, but people who can walk yet tire easily might keep this in mind. I grumbled about it once in a while (I was on the third floor) but in truth it was useful for me to have no excuse not to use the stairs. And in any case, the main stairway is part of the elegance of the foyer.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was our first stop in Nova Scotia and it set the standards high. It was our favorite inn in Nova Scotia. The B&B is conveniently located-a nice walk to the waterfront and there was a great pub right down the street. The room had delightful european "V" pillows-wonderful to read and watch TV in bed. The breakfast was good, not great.
This was a quaint, charming B&B and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Hi!
I been there! I was not amaze by this hotel, and the price! The breakfast was included, but the breakfast is just ok. The room was also ok....I did not like the background smell of the room. The decoration was quiet pretty, even thought it is a very old hotel.

The hotel is ok, maybe a little bite expensived for what it is since the breakfast is very dole.

Jewel

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We recently spent 2 nights at the Waverley and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff were extremely pleasant and helpful during check-in and throughout our stay answering all of our questions. We found everything to be very clean and although our standard room was very small , it fit our needs. We were able to look into other more spacious and luxurious rooms and were very jealous.But our priority was to be near the waterfront and the Waverley's location was within easy walking distance from the important sites in the downtown area. A very nice breakfast was included in our rates and this along with free parking made the Inn a good value. We would definitely stay there again and urge others to take a look at this property

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed at the Inn while visiting from Ottawa for 2 nights on our anniversary. Our room was #1, ground floor across from check-in. This might have been a recipe for disaster but posed no problems with noise from other guests. The room had amazing, high ceilings, a huge bay window and the most interesting period furnishings I have ever seen in a hotel/inn/B+B. We had our own bathroom with great water pressure. The parking was free and there was a small fridge in the room for our use. Coffee is available in the lobby with fruit and sweet things all day. Breakfast buffet is included and consists of cereals, instant oatmeal, baked beans, scrambled eggs, pancakes and ham. It was not really inspired but it was good. Hurricane Earl happened along while we were there and we lost power for ~12 hours. Our room was fine because we had such a large window although other guests headed to the common rooms which made for a jovial atmosphere. The staff was polite and professional. Our room fronted the street and there was a bar across it that was loud late at night-it was Frosh Week at the Universities. We minded it a bit the first night but the second (Saturday) was fine. Would definitely stay here again; walking distance to downtown, restaurants and shops.

1 Thank DrCanadaGoose