“A best meal during our stay in Halifax !!”
Review of Pipa Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Pipa Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“A best meal during our stay in Halifax !!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I would say, Pipa Restaurant, is a hidden gem at downtown Halifax! It's a small family-owned restaurant, located at the heart of the downtown area. Its within walking distance to the local theatre and Halifax Metro Centre.

We were dinning at Pipa on December 14th, before catching our flight back to Toronto. On our previous three day staying in the city, we dinned in many different restaurants. We found out that most of them were a bit of over-priced or the food were too oily ! Pipa, however, surprised us.

We ordered a Pipa signature burger with salad, Grilled Chicken with Salad, Seafood with rice, 2 oyster soups and a glass red wine. The portion size of each meal was HUGE and the soup was yummy! The prices were also very affordable!! My Dad especially, highlighted his 'Seafood with Rice' so much. He just loved it and wanted to pack another for the flight later...

The environment was great....little cosy, but very warm and welcoming! The day we dinned in also had Live Music on!! Cool!! The server, Sammy, was very friendly. He greeted us with SMILE and answered us with all questions about the menu! Thanks, Sammy !

Thanks, Pipa Restaurant! We really enjoyed our meal. We would come back next time!!

Susanna
From Toronto

• Visited December 2013

Halifax, NS
“Not ever again!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Four of us went for a birthday dinner. Firstly we went there specifically for fish stew - were out. Seafood rice them - out! Took 2 hours to get our meal! Olive oil on the table so we thought we would get bread while waiting - nope! If we didn't buy Groupon we would have left! Steak was done incorrectly. No dessert of the day and didn't like anything else listed so passed on dessert. Overall very poor experience - will not be back nor recommend it!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mandria C
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A Unique Restaurant That Offers a Variety of Menu Items”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

One evening I was surveying the numerous restaurants on Argyle Street, not far from the Prince George where I was staying, in search of a light dinner. The menu board at the entrance of this Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant listed "vegetable stew" as one of the specials of the day. Thinking that this would be perfect for a late dinner I decided to go inside and place a "carry out" order. While the order took a while to prepare, it was well worth the wait; the only problem was they had no plastic utensils for "carry out orders". Fortunately I had a spoon on the coffee tray in the hotel room. Once I settled down to enjoy the meal, it turned out to be a generous serving of the most delicious stew I had ever tasted. If you're ever fortunate enough to visit Pipa on a day that they are offering "vegetable stew" do yourself a favor and give it a try. In addition they have a full menu of other dishes featuring a variety of meats, vegetables, and starches. This was a great find! I can't wait to get back and try another dish.

• Visited September 2013
Ayr, Canada
“Didn't expect to eat in a Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant in Halifax”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We weren't too sure about this restaurant but we're glad we ate here. We were looking for a restaurant that served fish but didn't think we'd end up in a restaurant that served Portuguese/Brazilian cuisine.

I chose the Halibut Stew and it was very tasty with lots of fish and flavour. My friend said the Pipa's Spaghetti & Meatballs was the best she's ever had. (Yes, I know. Eating spaghetti & meatballs in a Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant in a 'fish' city like Halifax is wonderfully contradictory on several levels. But there you have it.

I say give it a try.

• Visited September 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“What a delicious surprise!”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Walking by the restaurant earlier in the day, we noticed the sign "Portuguese/Brazilian Cuisine"...that's all it took for me to stop and, after reading their menu, decide it would be where we ate for dinner. Great and extensive Appetizer listing - Order their Chorizio which came aflame in a dish with side dish of mustard, sauteed onions and toasted thin slices of bread. The mussels were in a broth of red wine, onions and other ingredients, all of which made the dish outstanding! The salt Cod cakes, also delicious and then the Brazilian cheese bread made with tapioca was the best! I couldn't eat another bite but my companion ordered their salmon and it was fantastic...served with perfectly cooked thin, fresh green beans and carrots. The wine was excellent, as was the service. I want to eat there again the next time I visit Halifax...Great, great food with a menu like no other around.

• Visited August 2013