“Bit of a tourist trap”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our waiter seemed to have no idea what was on the menu, and my friend ordered several different cocktails only to be told over and over that they were out of something so would she like to try something else? We started with the pao de giajo, which are hot cheesy buns which are apparently gluten free - they were so good we got a second order. I had the special which was a carrot and ginger risotto with pesto - it was decent but a bit oily and I couldn't really taste any ginger. The special was actually a really good price - only $10 for a large plate of risotto. With the fact there's a giant construction site across the street making the patio a bit dusty and loud, I probably would not come back.

1  Thank swim_bunny2012

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was my third time to Pipa, although it has been over 1.5 years since my last visit. I don't know what happened to the interesting authentic menu of my previous visits, but the current menu is very small and has lost many of the Portugese and Brazilian offerings that used to be on it. My favourite item - the Pao de Queijo (Brazilian bread of cheese and tapioca) had run out, as was another item that my friend ordered. The menu online is much longer than what was actually given to us in the restaurant, by the way. The service was painfully slow - after an 90 minutes we still hadn't received a single appetizer. Our party of 6 was seated when the restaurant was only 1/4 filled but we were told that our food was slow in coming because we hadn't made a reservation. Huh!? Thirty minutes after ordering, the waiter returned to our table to inform us that one of our menu items was not available. We asked for the menu again to order something else, and after 20 minutes, he still had not returned to take a new order. And when we expressed our hunger and asked for table bread, our request was ignored. At that point, in a 'hangry' haze, we left and walked up the street to the much better, very cool, very efficient Auction House. Our experience at Pipa was very disappointing and I won't be going back ever again.

1  Thank wandernotlost1
Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you have grown tired of fish and chips, then give this a try. It offers a creative Iberian-based menu. Indeed, tasteful options -- tapas and entrees -- that my party enjoyed (save for the salt cod). I had spaghetti and meatballs and I was really pleased with it. Quite simply --- recommended.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Quiet Monday evening meal with friends. Three of the items we ordered were not available that evening, although the server didn't mention this until we ordered. Food took some time arriving given that we were the only patrons in the restaurant, but dishes were hot and the food was quite good on the whole. The Brazilian fish stem was very bland, but other dishes were found to be quite good. Server was unable to calculate the bill accurately, but to our advantage. Lots of better restaurants within the same price range and area, so we'll go elsewhere next time.

1  Thank JT C
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had never heard of Pipa and tried it as part of a Groupon offer. I have read a lot of the other review of the place and would agree with the positive ones. It's funny how we all can have such varying opinions.

Though I ate there almost a year ago, I still remember the server, Sammy. The place was not all that busy on a Tuesday night so the service was attentive and friendly. Lots of suggestions and he was able to describe the food and sell what they do. The ambience was very nice, cozy and relaxed.

We had some appetizers which were good but not great. the coxhinas and some sausages. For dinner I thought the lamb shank in fig sauce was excellent and my wife enjoyed the Chicken dish she had. For dessert the coconut pudding with caramel and figs was so light and flavorful it is still memorable,

A good night out whether on a date or with friends.