All reviewstim hortonsfront deskdecent breakfastgreat hotelthe breakfast areapeggy's coveyogurtliquor storedowntown halifaxnice poolfree hot breakfastfirst floorfree parkingnext trip to halifaxstay there againcheck in was quickminute drive
Reviewed 23 August 2006

Good location for a stay after/before the airport. Far enough away that you don't hear the planes but only takes 20 minutes to reach the airport. Located right next to the highway. Be sure to ask for a room not on the highway side for a quieter night's sleep.

Room was very nice, clean, with upgraded linens on the bed. Towels were still the same rough ones they have used for years now.

Indoor pool was small but nice. Hot tub only fits 3 people - very small!

Breakfast was great - fruit, eggs, yogurt, muffins, toast, cereal, juices, coffee and their famous cinnamon rolls. Lots of choices. At peak breakfast time finding a place to sit can be a challenge.

8  Thank Likes_to_Travel
Reviewed 2 July 2006

Halifax airport is a very long way from the city (35 km). Looking for a place to stay that would enable me to catch a morning flight, this Holiday Inn Express was a welcome site.

It is right beside the highway at one of the exits into Bedford, an old suburb of Halifax. The hotel is first on a short commercial strip that has a large 24-hour gas station, a reasonably priced family restaurant, a drug store, a Tim Horton's, and a few other services. Beyond the strip, there is little along the old roads and neighbourhoods that line Bedford Basin on your drive into Halifax. Better to take the highway. I suppose one could use this place as a low-cost base to explore the Halifax area, but if your focus is downtown I would suggest staying there and exploring on foot.

The weekend rate of $117 for a double bed and breakfast was just right. That price included high-speed internet and coffee any time. My room was adequate. It was quiet -- it overlooked the parking lot at the rear and it was on the top (3rd floor). The queen bed was ordinary, if a little stiff. The air conditioning was too noisy, but I was able to turn it off and open the windows for ventilation. With a room key, I was able to enter through one of the rear doors and use the stairs, since the single elevator was too slow for a hotel this size. I enjoyed a decent breakfast in the pleasant lobby dining area. The staff were few but efficient, as befits this type of hotel. There is a lot of parking space.

On the negative side, the common areas smelled poorly. As if the carpet cleaners had used too strong a disinfectant. In general, the decor felt old and a little musty, as if the ownership was contemplating an upgrade but hadn't got around to it yet. Finally, the road access into the hotel is an awkward turn across two lanes of traffic. The lane up to the hotel is poorly marked and doubles as access to the Tim Horton's drive-thru window. This made for some awkward encounters as I returned in the evening and again when I left in the early morning.

Overall, this is a decent, middle-aged motor hotel that offers good value on the dollar for car-oriented travellers.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank NW_Raven
Reviewed 31 May 2006

This the best experience I've had in a hotel of this class and price. The employees are the most professional, helpful, and friendly I've experienced in some time. Because of them we had a wonderful stay. During most of our stay the hotel was completely booked with many many kids. When they got a little rowdy on our floor, we were offered a room in a much quieter part of the hotel. The employees were very helpful with directions and suggestions. No effort was spared keeping the breakfast area stocked and pristine. We'll stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank tennman
Reviewed 20 February 2006

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and were more than satisfied.The rooms are large with queen size beds, mini fridge, clean and last but not least friendly helpful staff. The free breakfast was more than adequate with boiled eggs, toast, fruit, yogurt, bagels and fresh pasteries. The pool and exercise room also very nice.I would certainly recommend staying here.

Joan

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank globetrotter1953
Reviewed 8 February 2006

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for two nights with my husband and two children. The double queen rooms were all occupied so we had a corner room with one queen bed and a pull-out. I thought the room was a very good size and there was also a small refrigerator. For us, we used part of the room as living room during the day. The room was very clean and the queen bed was very comfortable. There was a duvet on the bed with a floral cover. There was a great shower and lots of towels, extra pillows. Hairdryer in the bathroom and soap etc of fairly decent quality. The breakfast was very convenient and included in the price. My husband loaded up in the morning and brought the food up to the room as we were getting ready to start our day.You can also sit in a sitting area close to the food if you like. Ample choices for us. The pool was small but fine as well. The staff were friendly and helpful. They have CAA rates. Very close to Costco and Bayers Lk. which is one exit away. Restaurant (Brass Rail) and Tim Hortons across the driveway and gas stn across the street. Good access to Mount Saint Vincent Univ. (5 min. drive)just turn left from the driveway and brings you out to the Bedford Hwy. I also noticed they have a laundry room if that is of interest. I have stayed at most downtown hotels and feel this is better value with the inclusive breakfast and equal comfort. There is also no fee for parking of which there was plenty. The new Quality Inn is within sight across the road and you could see the big water slide but the hotel did not look near as appealing from the outside. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed: February 2006