“Very nice hotel with helpful staff”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed here for two night on business. The staff were most helpful, the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. A continentail breakfast is provided but it is a bit on the thin side, we ended up eating breakfast out the second day. Location was good, near the top of the hill and the famous "pizza corner".

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

I am glad we Got_With_It while you were here get_with_it. Good reviews equal smiles on our teams faces. Thank you very much and come back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed 1 July 2011

It's not as fancy as it looks on the Internet, but hey, what is? The hotel is spotless, the beds soft and amply supplied with pillows, the restaurant serviceable and the staff wonderfully helpful and pleasant. Every hotel should be this friendly! Also, they do not tolerate noisy people and swiftly addressed any matter of people romping the halls at 2 a.m.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank thirdsunrise

Hi thirdsunrise - A clean hotel with friendly staff sounds great to me. Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Did you see the first or second sunrise from our awesome rooftop deck?

Reviewed 1 July 2011

The Cambridge Suites is perfectly located in Halifax. All of the sites we wished to visit were within walking distance (Citadel, Pier 21, Public Gardens, museums, shopping, restaurants, harbourfront, entertainment). Rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast was a good start to the day. They also have do-it yourself laundry facilities, gym, and a rooftop patio with a view of the city. Be sure to visit Steve-O-Reno's Cafe which is just down the street (yellow building) - great cappucino. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to our friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Hey Hey Hey CGmart....your supposed to be talking about us!........ just kidding. How hipocritical of me since I start my day (everyday) at Steve-O_renos. Steve's business is just one of many very cool places Halifax has to offer. Thank fou for taking the time to speak about our Hotel. We really appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

This hotel is in the perfect spot - within walking distance to most places a visitor would want to see in Halifax. The rooms are quite nice, and the back rooms have a nice view of the harbor. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would defintely stay here again.
One point I would make is that they offer an upgrade package when you check in for $30 per night that gives you free parking (it's ordinarily $16 per day), and upgrade to a suite and $10 per day per person towards meals in the hotel resturant. We took the upgrade, but it turned out not to be worth it. Although the large suite was lovely, it was just my husband and I and we really didn't need that much room. Also, the continental breakfast that they offer was great, so the only time we could have used the resturant coupons was lunch or dinner, and to be honest we'd rather eat elsewhere for those meals. So, for us it would have been cheaper just to pay the $32 for parking. No fault of the hotel! Just something for others to think about.

2  Thank susanjean55
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2011

Thank you for reviewing our property susanjean55. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I am sorry you didn't see value in the upgrade package offered to you. We would love to welcome you back and stay in another style of suite anytime. I hope you get a chance to stay with us again and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed at the Cambridge at the end of a cross-Canada trip that included stops at Kamloops, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec. All were in 4-star accommodation, including two Fairmonts. Cambridge was by far the best - room size, comfort, location and staff helpfulness and friendliness. Continental breakfast was slightly below expectation, but OK. Room service dinner was good. We'd definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Darwin_AustraliaJohn

Good morning Darwin_AustraliaJohn. I am glad you enjoyed our property. I always say I am glad we were a "fit for each other" because whether or not someone enjoys their stay in a hotel will often depend on that particular hotel meeting that particular guests expectations..... So it looks like we were a good match for each other. Thanks for reviewing and have a great day.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

We had a delightful stay in Halifax, and this hotel was a great place to come "home" to every day. Our room was very clean and well appointed with contemporary decor, and we had a lovely view of the harbour. The location is ideal; it's within walking distance to the harbour, citadel, and lots of shops and charming restaurants.

The only slight downside is the restaurant attached to the hotel. The complimentary breakfast was available until 9:30 every morning (which is a little early for people on vacation, especially when taking into account time differences for people traveling from the west) and at 9:30 on the dot, the restaurant staff would abruptly remove all breakfast items. We noticed a woman who came into the restaurant at 9:30 and the staff were removing coffee and breakfast items as she was trying to serve herself. We also noticed that the staff were not helpful to guests who were having the complimentary breakfast, but they were more attentive to those who were paying for their breakfast. Upon check-out, we raised this issue with a very understanding and professional manager, and he said that the restaurant is separately owned, and not a part of the hotel. He also mentioned that the the hours for the complimentary breakfast will soon be extended for the summer. It's a shame that the restaurant staff doesn't demonstrate the same courtesy and attention to detail that the hotel does.

I would most definitely stay at the Cambridge Suites again. It was a pleasure.

3  Thank Keats575
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thank you Keats575 for the generous review titile given that it seems your restaurant experience was less than spectacular. I am sorry your experience with us was affected by the restaurant and the service they provided. We never like to use the fact that "we don't own it" as an excuse because it is part of the package....albeit small...it is part of the package and we are in the business of total experience and not just a bed/suite. I will follow up with the restaurant for sure and relay the details you provided. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we can welcome you back to Halifax very soon. Thanks for reviewing us.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

The location is perfect & the staff are both friendly & efficient. However, the hotel does need some TLC.

The corridors are dark & gloomy & the mattress on our bed was well past it's sell by date. We spent the night rolling into one another! ( no, not like that!) The sink plug in the bathroom needs replacing as it wouldn't hold the water in the sink.

Both of these faults were reported on check out. Have they been fixed??

These faults apart, this is a good hotel.

1  Thank nicmeljones
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Hi nicmeljones and thank you for staying with us and reviewing us. I have to say I am truly surprised about the bed comment. All of our beds were replaced in March of 2010 and we always get stellar reviews about the comfort of them. I am sorry this wasn't the case for you. Being the super sleuth that I am I deciphered your name tripadvisor name and I think I know what room you stayed in so I will definitely check that bed this morning. I am sorry it affected your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.