“Fantastic Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I absolutely LOVE this hotel. My boyfriend and I had a fantastic stay while we were in Halifax...its too bad we were only there for a night! We upgraded our room to a suite which was the best decision...great view of the harbour, extremely comfortable bed. We will be staying here again for sure! We ordered a pizza through room service, and it was great. My only complaint was the breakfast...it wasnt bad, but there was just oatmeal, cereal, and toast...scrambled eggs would have been nice

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Goodmorning 13Pixie1313 - I am glad you enjoyed your evening with us. Next time you should stay more than one night and enjoy our city for a few more days. Sorry we didn't have what interests you at breakfast. This can be challenging in at times because everyone has different likes first thing in the morning. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Berkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

We were doing a driving tour of Eastern Canada after flying from the UK, and booked in here for the first three nights of our stay.

Although we'd booked a standard room we were offered the chance to upgrade to a larger harbour view room for an extra $30 per day; as that price included parking ($16 per day) and the hot breakfast option for both of us (2 x $10) we didn't see how we could lose. Very impressed with the room they gave us - it was like a suite, with a sitting area that could be totally separated from the bedroom area by closing the door, Also had a kitchen area, nice bathroom and 2 TVS (one in bedroom and one in loung area). We had a great view down the hill to the harbour.

I'm a bad sleeper and the comfort of bed is very important to me - and this was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've had.

Location was good, with plenty of eating places nearby - and also shops round the corner. A nice 10-min stroll down to the harbour - although the return journey up the hill was a bit more strenuous!

Reception staff were very helpful, providing us with map/directions and suggestions on places to eat.

Unlikely we will every visit Halifax again but would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who does - and would consider Cambridge Suites when visiting other cities.

Room Tip: Consider upgraded room on top floor - cost was $30 per day, but free parking & hot breakfasts fo...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BerksTravellers
Hello BerksTravellers - Thank you for including so much detail in your review of our property. I like to stay here at least once a month (to see how we are doing from my own eyes) and I always have fantastic sleeps in our new beds. The one bedroom suite you described is my favorite too - if your travels every bring you back this way we will be waiting with open arms - thanks again.
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Checked in for a two night stay. The hotel felt dirty, the room smelled bad.
Doors are not completely sealed off to hallways, so very loud.
The chef didn't show up our first morning, so not much food at breakfast. Tour bus of people picked over what there was.
Very nice staff, though. Very accommodating and seemed to feel bad that things weren't up to snuff. Hardworking staff.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelPAUSA
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
Adequate is certainly not what we are striving to be travelPAUSA. I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations on your visit to our property. We very rarely drop the ball from the cleanliness standpoint - I am sorry this is your last impression of the hotel.... I can assure you it is not the norm. More importantly I wish I could have proven that to you on your visit. Thank you for mentioning our employees because we do have a fantastic team. I hope we can welcome you back to show you a perfect stay in Halifax.
Ontario's Near North, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We managed to score a deal on this hotel via Hotwire and it was SO worth it.

The hotel situation in Halifax is quite limited, so we were happy when we found out we had gotten the Cambridge Suites for our 2 day stay for a quick getaway to Halifax. We checked TripAdvisor & noticed it was ranked 2nd - it deserves such a high rating.

Honestly, the hotel's exterior signage doesn't reflect its interior, which is sleek and modern. I had read a previous review stating the halls were 'dark' & 'dingy' (something along those lines). We must've stayed at different hotels, because the hallways were brightly lit with tasteful decor.

Our room, for being the smallest suite offered, made great use of the space. It featured what the hotel staff referred to as a queen bed (yet, my boyfriend & I are pretty sure its a twin. We addressed this at the front desk upon check-out as we had been promised a queen in prior emails to the front desk. It was quite small, if it was a queen).

Regardless of its size, the bed was soft & comfortable. Plenty of shelves to put away clothes, plenty of modern lamps. Also had a little seating area in the form of a couch & coffee table, with a small kitchen featuring a microwave, mini sink, and some basic cutlery/plates/bowls to get you by. Also, a coffee maker was provided with Nabob coffee & teas. The only time improvement here that I would suggest is perhaps providing take-out cups for tea/coffees? I've seen this done in other hotels & it really prevents you from going down the street to Starbucks/Tims/Second Cup when you have it in your own room!

The tv was an LG flat-screen, next to a desk with a couple of chairs - a good, small workstation.

The bathroom, albiet small, was still nice. It had a modern Moen tap with a large tub, plenty of counter space. The products offered were organic, a nice touch.

Facilities-wise, we didn't use the parking - but we did go up to the roof-top deck (amazing view of Halifax!) and used the whirlpool jet tub & popped into the dry sauna. Very cool place to relax. The gym, from what we saw, was well stocked with newer machines & plenty of free weights.

Elevators were quick, barely any waiting. Room was spotless both times it was turned-over. Didn't order room service but the meals, from what we saw, were fairly well priced. The business center was a couple of computers, but I applaud the effort, since we only used one to print boarding passes. Free high-speed internet is offered wirelessly (which seems to be rare for hotels) - PLEASE keep this! :)

I really don't think this hotel should be rated a 3 star - it's at LEAST a 3 1/2, just hovering under a 4. I've stayed at similarly designed 3 stars, and the Cambridge Suites exceeds it by offering guest service options, like a 630am run club on certain days of the week.

Another touch I liked was the continental breakfast. I've seen people complain about the offerings, but, really? It's free & offers a good start to your day. I liked the oatmeal & brown sugar provided. Cereals, toast & muffins were also tasty & readily available.

I will definitely be looking to stay at this chain again (Toronto, Sydney & Halifax) after my great experience at this hotel.

Front desk put us in touch with Trevor from E.A.S.T. shuttle (http://www.eastshuttle.com/) who's rates were considerably cheaper than other organized tour groups. We used him for a trip to Peggy's Cove & our return to the airport - couldn't have been happier. Thanks to the kind person at the front desk who understood our needs!

Room Tip: Even if your room doesn't face the harbour, you still get a ncie view of the Citadel hill :)
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well bdyrck by far the most detailed review i have ever seen. Thank you for sharing so much information and thank you for staying with us on your visit to Halifax. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed 11 nights in a 1-bedroom suite. Spotlessly clean and everything we needed (well, maybe a bit more cutlery in the kitchen area, a big knife would have been useful). Bed was comfortable.

Staff are friendly and helpful, location is splendid and the complimentary breakfast fine (I see some folks complain that there are limited choices, but we did just fine). Free wi-fi was useful.
Location is great (not that anywhere is far in downtown Halifax) - liked the harbour view,

We'd be happy to stay with you again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Thank you Dr_Bob1 for reviewing our hotel. Staying somewhere for 11 nights can get kind of tiring so I glad to know you enjoyed your accomodations. Our one bedroom suites are our most popular style of suite. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your visit with us and we hope you can return sometime soon. Thanks again.
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Spent 5 nights at the Cambridge Suites in a studio suite. This hotel had everything. Perfect location, large spotless clean rooms, all amenities expected, a fabulous roof terrace where we watched the Canada Day fireworks, a little shop by reception with plenty of choice of snacks, and the most helpful staff we have ever met. The restaurant in the hotel was also amazin with the most delicious fish and chips. Cannot highly recommend this hotel enough, loved it, and will definetely be returning.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1of4bysea, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Hi WalesBlodyn and I don't know what else to say other than thank you for the great review. I have been away from the hotel all week and your review made my day! Thank you.
Antigonish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

We had an excellent stay in Halifax. The suite was clean-bed comfy.
We ate in their resteraunt that evening. The food was great. Decent wine selection.
Staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Always great rooms.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you BettyandBill for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor.com community. We truly appreciate your support. I hope we can welcome you back again.