“Was hoping for more for the price”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Barrie
“Was hoping for more for the price”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews and nice pictures advertized. The price was not cheap but I thought that I would treat my family for the 2 days we were in Halifax. I was a little disappointed with the overall experience. We had a 2 room harbour suite, but in reality it was just your basic hotel room using 2 separate rooms together. The pictures made it out to be so much nicer. The harbourview was a distant look at the waterfront. The hotel has no pool and only a small spa. The sauna was cold and useless.- could not even work up a sweat. The outside patio was small and not inviting at all. I was very disappointed that you could not have a smoke outside, and that there were only a couple of dirty chairs to sit in. The continental breakfast was only fair - in typical Canadian fashion there is no eggs or bacon or sausage or waffles - just toast and cereal and stale muffins.Overall the stay was ok but nothing special - I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear ChefFatCat,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of how your visit went with us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Usually people do enjoy our roof top patio and we try to keep it very clean. I am sorry it wasn't how it should have been. We cannot allow people to smoke up there for health and safety reasons - throwing the butts over the side of the building. Continental breakfast doesn't include hot items but we do have hot breakfast available for a few extra dollars.

We also do not have a pool but you can use the pool at the Prince George and I am sorry this wasn't relayed onto you. I will have someone check the temperature of the hot tub to ensure it is warm enough.

Once again thank you for the feedback so we know how to improve.

Megan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Dallas, GA
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Family group of 4 stayed in a room with a separate sitting area with sink, mini frig and microwave. This arrangement was very handy when getting ready in the AM. The continental breakfast was very good. The staff persons, including housekeeping, were friendly and helpful. The location near the Citadel intown was very convenient. Will return if in Halifax.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear MACON51,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge! I am happy you were able to enjoy your stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back if you make another trip to Halifax!

Thanks again,

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked the Cambridge Suites because they had a special for the room and tickets to the NS Tattoo.
We were delighted when we saw how close the hotel was to the Metro Centre where the Tattoo was being held.
The second plus was when we entered our room to see how spacious it was. We had a room with a Queen bed and a sitting area with a hide a bed chesterfield. There were 3 of us so 2 shared the bed and both found it really comfortable. I slept on the hide away which was also not bad at all.
The Staff was ver friendly. A lovely continental breakfast the next morning came with the cost of the room.
The hotel does have a nice restaurant, but the night before we decided to eat at the Fireside Restaurant which is out the front door, turn left and down the street on the right hand side.
Check out thr rooftop patio at the hotel....great 360 degree view of the city!

We would definitely stay at the CambridgevSuites again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tayj72
Dear Tayj72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge, I really appreciate it. I am happy you enjoyed your visit and the view.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you come back to Halifax!

Thanks again,

TX
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We have a great room with an awesome view of the harbour. We got a great deal with parking included, and we can just walk around downtown without the hassle of finding parking. The Citadel is diagonally across from the hotel's front entrance. Bath products are organic. They have a hot tub, sauna, and fitness room on the roof, but you have to walk a couple of blocks to the Prince George for a swimming pool.

Room Tip: Get the room with the view, it's worth it.
3 Thank littleswanTx
Dear littleswanTx,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Cambridge Suites Hotel. I really appreciate your wonderful comments and am very happy you were able to enjoy your experience so much.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return to the city!

See you soon,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We were promised a studio room that i had booked 1 month in advance and they bumped me down to a room with a queen size murphy bed. The staff had no regrets in doing so and only blamed expedia due to lack of information. After a couple of minutes of arguing, the front desk staff admitted that this was a sold out night and therefore they had bumped us down. All this after pre- paying for the hotel, booking 1 month in advance - appalling !!! I expected better hospitality and i will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Divya S
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Divya S,

I am very sorry about the experience you had at the Cambridge Suites Hotel. I can understand why a situation like not having the room type you booked would be so frustrating.

Thank you for taking the time to leave an honest review. I will talk to the front desk staff about the concerns you brought forward.

Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Location, location, location - this hotel is in a great spot in downtown Halifax near the Citadel. Ask for a harbour view from the 4th or 5th floor. Rooms are large and modern, beds are comfortable and the service is good. The hotel does not have a pool which is a let down, however the gym is on the top floor with a walk out from which you can see the entire city. Wi-Fi is free which is nice, but they do charge per day for parking. The breakfast is average, and the restaurant has a bit of a sterile cold feeling. It is not a luxury hotel, but if you are looking for value and location - enjoy your stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Doghouse66,

Thank you for taking the time to leave the hotel a review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and recognized the value. I have noted your comments about the restaurant and this is something that is a work in progress so stay tuned for some changes.

I hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Halifax!

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked the hotel online. It did not mention the $16 parking fee although that is pretty normal in the city. The room was very nice and spotless. The bathroom is nice, the tub and shower do not match the rest but was clean and worked good. The kitchenette area is very functional. The hotel has a gym, hot tub, and sauna. Just out the doors from the fitness area is a roof top patio which we thoroughly enjoyed. There is also a breakfast included which was setup well, had lots to choose from including oatmeal and toppings, and was well managed. Everything was full and clean. Excellent breakfast. Our suite was near the ice machine. It was loud. No one used it until three a.m. It woke me up. I hadn't even noticed it was there. Also as the early risers filled cooler at 5 am we were also awakened. I am not sure how it could be so loud and they still sell that suite. We had planned a relaxing day and 3 am was too early to start it. We were glad to eat the delicious breakfast and checkout. It put a terrible damper on a potentially excellent hotel stay.

Room Tip: Stay far far away from the 3rd floor ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan J,

I am very sorry about the noise the ice machine created while staying at the hotel. I know how important it is to get a great nights sleep especially when travelling so I am sorry about this. We are working on putting strips on the bottom of our guest room doors to help block out the noise.

Thanks for leaving us an honest review because without your comments we wouldn't know where we need to improve the hotel the most.