“Suite? Sweet!”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Ontario, Canada
“Suite? Sweet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

As a man of business I often encounter hotels that excel in providing a comfortable room. However, few provide the extra touches that make a stay special. Cambridge Suites Halifax stands out in that regard. Along Brunswick Street, the Cambridge Suites is ideally situated near many of the city's local attractions such as the Halifax Citadel, the Halifax Metro Centre, and the Public Gardens, as well as a host of restaurants, shops, apartments, trees, pedestrians, automobiles, historical stuff, and exotic wildlife.

Upon entry one is immediately faced with choices as to how to proceed---a challenge, if you will. To the left is the front desk, the centre elevators, to the right the restaurant. There is no clear direction, nor helpful signage. There is a powerful rationale to this, however. This layout was clearly designed as an initiation rite for new guests. If one selects paths in the incorrect order, confusion, awkwardness, and big time peril may result. If one remembers to remember the acronym CRB (Check-In, Room, Breakfast) they will be successful. I fear that in writing this I have violated the sacred oaths sworn by all successful Cambridge Suites initiates. By revealing these secrets this may very well be my last review...

Provided one passes the sacred trials, they will take part in additional rituals, including the confirmation of name, the swearing that no smoking shall take place in the room, and the displaying of credit card for room deposit. Parking is $16/night.

The rooms themselves are tastefully arranged, featuring a bed, desk, coffee table, and even a couch. It is like a bedroom and living room all rolled up into a little, efficient ball of comfy. At the end opposite the window is a kitchen-like area, complete with microwave and refrigerator. My experience with the small sink also located therein was limited to pouring some coffee down the drain, but it was a clean, satisfactory pour.

At roughly 8 feet long, the counter top is the ideal surface for a number of purposes, be it placing belongings after a long day or trade and/or tourism, hosting a potluck dinner, or for playing with matchbox cars---Even if one is in their mid-30s this is a totally awesome idea. Vroom Vroom!

In one drawer is silverware. Though small, this is a powerful addition, allowing the guest to go forth and confidently order takeout from one of Halifax's fine eateries without the crippling embarrassment of having to ask for plastic cutlery.

The bathrooms were both clean and standard. However, the wallpaper stood out as a defining feature. Cloth-like in texture, and of medium dark grey hue, it was particularly inviting. It draws the guest's eye closer, demanding to be inspected...touched...savoured...When running a finger along it, if one listens closely, the wallpaper gives the sounds of low tide along Peggy's Cove. It's transcendent, oceanic.

There was also some ring on a chain attached to the tile above the bathtub. I have no idea what that's there for.

Though crime is low, it is nevertheless comforting to know that the Cambridge Suites maintains a firm commitment to the integrity of their rooms. Rather than rusty old keys or magnetic strip cards that fail if one's cell phone so much as farts, the hotel has implemented RFID technology for room access. These cards are secure in both function and appearance, being a simple white without any identifying text or logos. This simplicity is particularity useful if a guest is avoiding "The Man" and they happen to lose their card while being pursued. Even Dog the Bounty Hunter couldn't make use of a wayward room key. Instead he'll have to continue relying on prayer, free smokes, and firm yet sympathetic ear.

Such innovations may also lead to revolutionary new ways of unlocking one's room. For instance, I put my card in my back pocket and tried to bootysnap my way in. It didn't work.

Although I was unable to partake on my latest visit, the weekly social is an event I enjoyed on a previous stay. It is great that the hotel aims to not only provide a place to rest, but also foster a community of guests. At the social was complimentary beers from local brewers as well as tasty hors d'oeuvres. The mini chili cheese pies were exceptional. The staff true to form was friendly and informative in both beverages and 'the local scene.' After an hour of good cheer and fellowship among my fellow guests, I retired to my room to engage in what anthropologists call 'tipsy texting.' My significant other was impressed with the outstanding hospitality as I described it, but not so much my subsequent phoning to provide off-key, incomplete renditions of famous showtunes.

In all, the Cambridge Suites offers a strong package of hospitality, comfortable, versatile rooms and ideal location for those visiting Halifax. The very thought of my next stay makes me want to twerk. I won't stick out my tongue like Miley Cyrus though. She looks pretty dumb doing that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KtotheG
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear KtotheG,

How to reply to your review has left me perplexed. I take great pride in being witty and quick, however the summary of your experience has left me speechless.

I will simply provide you with a BIG thank you! I look forward to your next visit with us and your experiments with the new key system.

Until then,

Megan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Long Island, New York,Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

The hotel is across the street from the Citadel and within walking distance of the waterfront and restaurants and the downtown area The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. Breakfast was very good and parking ii conveniently located under the hotel. I would highly recommend the Cambridge Suites for a stay in Halifax.

Dear Marvin84,

Thanks for the great review Marvin84. I will be expecting more Long Islanders to visit us now from your great recommendations!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here while visiting Nova Scotia. The location couldn't be better for walking the city, most historic sites being within a few blocks. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and the hotel staff was very accommodating. Parking is located under the hotel so it is convenient if a bit expensive at $16 per day. We would stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Eric S,

Thanks for the great comments Eric S! I am happy you enjoyed the hotel and our location.

Until next time,

St. John's Nl.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

service was excellent, food good. Would be happy to stay there again.
room was clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly,front desk ,room service and restaurant service.Would gladly recommed it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear AudreyH,

Happy to hear you liked your visit! Thanks for being willing to recommend!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We arrived after a disastrous day of travel (Friday 13th) to find a lovely hotel in a perfect location and a bar that serves over-sized glasses of wine to frazzled travelers. The room was very large with a nice little kitchen if you're so inclined. We had a view of the Citadel and the cannons across the street and the whole city rolled down the hill toward the water. The breakfast is quite good (included) if a little crowded. We would go back.

Dear Normad1248,

Friday the 13th travel can be risky but I am happy to hear it worked out. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Sheffield Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed twice, 2 nights at the beginning and end of our 3 weeks in Nova Scotia. We were glad to have breakfast included and could add extra hot items for 3$ CD. Unfortunately the tea tasted of coffee on both occasions, a problem I experienced elsewhere in Canada. I tried different flavours take-away cups etc but no improvement. A bit more care needed here for tea drinking visitors perhaps?

The room/suite 302 and 508 was fine on both visits, but we would have liked night stands on both sides of the queen bed. Air con, wifi, bathroom facilities, and staff were all very good. We paid extra to use secure parking and found it convenient to leave our car after room check-out as we had a late night flight out.

Room Tip: Rooms without a harbour view have view of greenery and the citadel
Dear Mazzy62,

I am sorry about the tea tasting like coffee. Nothing worse than Earl Grey tasting like Starbucks. I am happy to hear your stay was great in both rooms during your visits.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Delburne, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were lucky enough to stay at this hotel one night the beginning of our Maritime holiday and then 2 more nights at the end of our vacation. We had early check-ins both times. The staff we very pleasant and most helpful. Location is excellent. So close to everything! Breakfast was great as well. Room was clean and comfy, and we will not hesitate to stay here again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Debbie M,

Thanks so much for the great review! I am happy you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again!