“Great Spot!”

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Great Spot!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed there 1 night for business. Comfortable beds and decent breakfast. Had a very late check in and the staff was quite friendly for the early morning hour. The ample metered parking on the street was a bonus. Great value!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Cory117,

Thank you so much for the review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and like our services/staff.

Until next time,

Megan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
nova scotia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at Cambridge Suites for one night in December for a staff Christmas party. The location was perfect; walking distance to The Keg restaurant and downtown bars, with underground parking (at an additonal fee) so I wasn't worried about drunken wanderers scratching my car overnight.

We stayed in a one-bedroom king suite with harbor view and could not have been more impressed with our accomodations. The room itself was very large, well organized, and clean. The bedroom is separated from the rest of the room by two doors - a standard door off the hallway & a full-wall sliding door off the living room. The bedroom came equipped with a closet, a dresser, two night stands, a wall-mounted flatscreen television, and a radio with iPod docking station. The bed was delightfully comfortable. The living room has a sofa, an armchair, coffee table, and a second wall-mounted flatscreen television. Aside from the bedroom and living room there is a kitchenette (minifridge, sink, microwave, dishes) and a desk and chair.

The bathroom also featured all cruelty-free and vegetarian (maybe even vegan, but I'm not positive so I don't want to speculate) soaps and shampoos. This might seem irrelevant for some, but if you are a cruelty-free advocate like me, it's nice to know I'm spending my money on a company whose values align with my own.

The hotel has a fitness center with hot tub and sauna which were fantastic. The hot tub is large and elevated to overlook the rooftop balcony and city lights. All of the facilities were clean and new.

We only really had two complaints from our stay - first was the breakfast. We booked through a special that offered a free complimentary breakfast which left absolutely nothing to be desired. It was pretty standard offerings - toast, muffins, a few fruits, cereal, and hardboiled eggs. However, my hardboiled egg had been overcooked and then left in a warming tray and had therefore grown a green film around the yolk. Not dangerous necessarily but not exactly appetizing, either. My husband had one bite of two different muffins before tossing them because they were tasteless and not fresh.

Second was the "24-hour convenience store" they have onsite. It is a small room with drinks and snacks for purchase. However, the prices are not marked, and we found out that a single bottle of Gatorade was going to run us around $4.50. Luckily, the counter attendant working at the time gave us warning before processing our purchase, so we could change our mind (you can buy a 6-pack of Gatorade for $4.99 at WalMart!). I know that markups are to be expected for considering the cost of our room and the lackluster breakfast, this felt like highway robbery.

Our room, breakfast, and underground parking package ran us approximately $200 taxes included. This is pricey but we were very satisfied with the room, the service we received, and the location in relation to what we were in town for.

Overall I would definitely stay again... but I'll be bringing my own Gatorade!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the complimentary contintental breakfast - and book a room up high for a good...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bee902
Dear bee902,

Thanks so much for the detailed review of your stay. I am so happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and got to take in some of the services we offer. I am sorry about the breakfast and high priced Gatorade. I will keep an eye on the mark up of those items.

We look forward to hosting you again soon,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here on business for two nights in December. The hotel is in an ideal location to bars restaurant and plenty of adequate parking. The room was great value for money and was very clean. Breakfast was buffet style but very good quality. No problem with this hotel at all would definitely stay here again if I return to Halifax.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Powell84,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Cambridge.

We hope to see you again soon,

Bermuda
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here while in Halifax. It was a great stay overall! We had a larger room than average with a seating area separate from the bedroom. It was a great addition to our room as we were entertaining some friends while there. The bed was comfortable and clean, and the mini-fridge and microwave were also a great asset. Only negative was the bathroom. Given the size of the room, a slightly larger bathroom was anticipated however it was quite small, considering two people were utilizing it. It was a rather tight space when we were getting ready in the morning, and maneuvering around each other was a challenge. Nonetheless we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Halifax.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Food998,

I am so happy to hear your enjoyed your time with us. I am glad you enjoyed the room and had enough space to have a good time.

Thanks for the review!

Kind Regards,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel back in late September and this hotel was very nice, clean with a modern look. Check-in was quick & easy; the staff was very helpful when asking about shopping, attractions etc. The location was excellent where I would only need to walk a few blocks to get to the boardwalk and view from my hotel room looked onto signal hill, which was a nice sight to wake up to. I often stay at Cambridge Suites in Toronto on business, therefore I assumed it would be the same “Suite-like” feel; however the room was quite a bit smaller and also didn't have a separate living area as do the rooms in Toronto, non-the-less I was still pleased with the accommodations. The rooms were a little noisy; I could hear conversations of the people staying in the room next to me; again this is not a reflection on the hotel, simply the guests next door. There is a gym and Jacuzzi on one of the higher levels and has everything one would need for a quick workout.

Overall the hotel is nice and the location is great. I would recommend staying here and if I am ever out that way again, I would stay here.

Thx!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff C
Dear Jeff C,

Thank you so much for the great review! I am happy to hear you enjoyed our facilities and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for four nights while on a summer trip to the East Coast and loved it. Our room had a view across the city out to the Halifax Harbour. It was spacious and well-appointed, lots of room in the bathroom, and the mini kitchen area was perfect for a couple.

As a large group had checked out the day of our arrival, our room was not quite ready but the staff were lovely and we were offered a beverage and newspaper while we waited. There was a wine and appetizer reception one evening while we were there and the selection at breakfast was excellent.

A few people we spoke to asked why we didn't want something closer to the water but we loved the fact that we were in a real neighbourhood and so close to the Citadel. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SkyboxTO,

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and liked being part of our community. The Cambridge has the best of both worlds - great views and away from noise.

We hope to see you again soon,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stay here every year for a downtown Christmas Party. We are always greeted warmly and given prompt service. The room is always clean service is prompt.
Security is important here, we came into the room when it was still being made up and we were asked to show our room keys to make sure it belonged to us. I like that.
We had noisy neighbors at aprox. 11:30 one night and we called security. We heard them ask the room to be quiet and they actually came back two other times when the room had started to be noisy again....and we didn't have to call! Wonderful!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Caroline D,

I am so happy you were able to enjoy the Cambridge while at your Christmas party. I look forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Happy New Year!