“great hotel at waterfront”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here with my daughter November 2013. Secure underground parking so we could just leave car and walk around - and Halifax is great city for walking. A couple easy blocks to waterfront and Citadel Hill across the street. Clean room, friendly polite staff. Would definitely sta again when in Halifax.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear 810cathym810,

I am happy to hear you and your daughter had a good visit while staying at the Cambridge. We look forward to your next visit when you're in Halifax.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

In Halifax on business, plus a bit of leisure. Wanted a central downtown spot. Friends in Halifax recommended this one.

Perfect!

Took a junior suite which gives the kitchen with micro, fridge, sink, dishes. Great workspace. Nice living area to relax. And then a bedroom/bath.

Perfect.

Short walk to restos and attractions. Across the street from The Citadel.

Room service, resto on site if you need it. Continental breakfast was just great, thanks very much! Enough to get me going and to the first meeting.

Very friendly and helpful staff from the front door and onward.

Reasonably priced too!

Used to stay at the Lord Nelson, also good, but my choice has probably shifted to Cambridge Suites because of the extra space in the room and the cont breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear TO_trips,

Thanks so much for the great review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thought things were perfect.

Until your next trip!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We usually stay at the Cambridge Suites on our trips to Halifax. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here January 28th and 29th, the hotel was as usual clean, and front desk staff were friendly as always. However, on the 30th, I had without a doubt the longest check out experience of my life. They had two staff on, the staff person I had took about fifteen-twenty minutes to finish my checkout. She couldn't find something in the system, then rang in the wrong amount in the computer system, then on my credit card, then didn't know how to fix it on my credit card. She finally asked the other staff person for help, by correcting the amount on my credit card then doing the process all over again. I stay in Halifax often as my partner works out west and flies into Halifax on his days off, but on my next trip I think I'd rather not waste time on another lengthy checkout...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear AmandaS,

I love that you usually stay here, however I am very sorry about your check out experience and how long it took. I know how frustrating it is when waiting in line.

I do hope you will give us another chance. We just installed a new system on the front desk so check out shouldn't be a problem.

Until then,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed there 1 night for business. Comfortable beds and decent breakfast. Had a very late check in and the staff was quite friendly for the early morning hour. The ample metered parking on the street was a bonus. Great value!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Cory117,

Thank you so much for the review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and like our services/staff.

Until next time,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at Cambridge Suites for one night in December for a staff Christmas party. The location was perfect; walking distance to The Keg restaurant and downtown bars, with underground parking (at an additonal fee) so I wasn't worried about drunken wanderers scratching my car overnight.

We stayed in a one-bedroom king suite with harbor view and could not have been more impressed with our accomodations. The room itself was very large, well organized, and clean. The bedroom is separated from the rest of the room by two doors - a standard door off the hallway & a full-wall sliding door off the living room. The bedroom came equipped with a closet, a dresser, two night stands, a wall-mounted flatscreen television, and a radio with iPod docking station. The bed was delightfully comfortable. The living room has a sofa, an armchair, coffee table, and a second wall-mounted flatscreen television. Aside from the bedroom and living room there is a kitchenette (minifridge, sink, microwave, dishes) and a desk and chair.

The bathroom also featured all cruelty-free and vegetarian (maybe even vegan, but I'm not positive so I don't want to speculate) soaps and shampoos. This might seem irrelevant for some, but if you are a cruelty-free advocate like me, it's nice to know I'm spending my money on a company whose values align with my own.

The hotel has a fitness center with hot tub and sauna which were fantastic. The hot tub is large and elevated to overlook the rooftop balcony and city lights. All of the facilities were clean and new.

We only really had two complaints from our stay - first was the breakfast. We booked through a special that offered a free complimentary breakfast which left absolutely nothing to be desired. It was pretty standard offerings - toast, muffins, a few fruits, cereal, and hardboiled eggs. However, my hardboiled egg had been overcooked and then left in a warming tray and had therefore grown a green film around the yolk. Not dangerous necessarily but not exactly appetizing, either. My husband had one bite of two different muffins before tossing them because they were tasteless and not fresh.

Second was the "24-hour convenience store" they have onsite. It is a small room with drinks and snacks for purchase. However, the prices are not marked, and we found out that a single bottle of Gatorade was going to run us around $4.50. Luckily, the counter attendant working at the time gave us warning before processing our purchase, so we could change our mind (you can buy a 6-pack of Gatorade for $4.99 at WalMart!). I know that markups are to be expected for considering the cost of our room and the lackluster breakfast, this felt like highway robbery.

Our room, breakfast, and underground parking package ran us approximately $200 taxes included. This is pricey but we were very satisfied with the room, the service we received, and the location in relation to what we were in town for.

Overall I would definitely stay again... but I'll be bringing my own Gatorade!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the complimentary contintental breakfast - and book a room up high for a good...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bee902

Dear bee902,

Thanks so much for the detailed review of your stay. I am so happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and got to take in some of the services we offer. I am sorry about the breakfast and high priced Gatorade. I will keep an eye on the mark up of those items.

We look forward to hosting you again soon,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here on business for two nights in December. The hotel is in an ideal location to bars restaurant and plenty of adequate parking. The room was great value for money and was very clean. Breakfast was buffet style but very good quality. No problem with this hotel at all would definitely stay here again if I return to Halifax.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Powell84,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Cambridge.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 10 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here while in Halifax. It was a great stay overall! We had a larger room than average with a seating area separate from the bedroom. It was a great addition to our room as we were entertaining some friends while there. The bed was comfortable and clean, and the mini-fridge and microwave were also a great asset. Only negative was the bathroom. Given the size of the room, a slightly larger bathroom was anticipated however it was quite small, considering two people were utilizing it. It was a rather tight space when we were getting ready in the morning, and maneuvering around each other was a challenge. Nonetheless we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Megan D, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Food998,

I am so happy to hear your enjoyed your time with us. I am glad you enjoyed the room and had enough space to have a good time.

Thanks for the review!