“Great Location, Warm Rooms”

Cambridge Suites - Halifax
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We stayed at the Cambridge Suites for 10 days while attending the Brier in March. We chose this hotel based om the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor and the fact thar it was very close to the Brier.
The breakfast buffet was good but a little inconsistent. Hard boiled eggs were available every day and some days, scrambled eggs, pancakes or french toast showed up. On our last morning we were given a voucher for a free hot breakfast. My overhard and broken eggs showed up over easy and very runny and my wife's scrambled eggs were not scrambled. Overall we were happy with the free breakfast, particularly the fresh fruit and great coffee.
Early on in our stay, we complained about the excessive heat in our room. Maintenance quickly showed up and explained that the settings only allowed for warm air at this time of year. We had our window open the entire stay. This was too bad because the rest of the room was very nice. It was very handy having a fridge and microwave. We enjoyed the lobster which we bought at Sobey's. We also enjoyed the jacuzzi at the top of the hotel overlooking Halifax. It was great being able to print off our boarding passes at the business center.
The staff was very good and we enjoyed the manager's reception. The staff tried to resolve our complaints and we even received a follow up call from the manager to see if the issues had been resolved and this was appreciated.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2010

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us - we enjoyed the week of the Brier having hosted some great canadians from right across the country. I apologize for the breakfast confusion. We have been polling our guests and speaking with our most frequent guests about the breakfast experience. We have recently sampled with scrambled eggs, french toast, boiled eggs, bagels, etc to see what works best for our customers.
I have followed up with the restaurant and they had additional product from our trials and thought that the Brier followers may appreciate having more choice than we usually offer. Unfortunately we did a bad job communicating that to our customers and we confused them. Thank you for pointing this out to us and we will do our best to get our complimentary breakfast right.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed 25 March 2010

The Rooms are Great!
The Service is Great!
The Food is Great!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Thank you MorrisNewfoundland for your review - It was our pleasure to welcome you.

Reviewed 20 March 2010

We were there in March for the Brier, and were very happy with our experience. We were very close to the Metro Centre which was our main objective, and when I called to make reservations the receptionist assured me that it was a short walk. We parked our car in the underground parking, and were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our room was a standard suite and it was very roomy and comfortable, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The curtains were heavy and great for keeping out the light, but when opened the window gave lots of light and a nice view of the city. The breakfast was very good, and I enjoyed oatmeal, fresh fruit, fresh still warm from the oven muffins and orange juice every morning. Also offered was toast, hard boiled eggs, cereal and coffee and occasionally fried eggs, scrambled eggs and pancakes - overall a very good selection. I also liked the fact that there were two computers with internet connection in a room off the lobby. At the restaurant, I had the best martini ever - a German Chocolate Martini - and it was delicious. We missed out on the Manager's reception - just arriving back at the end of it - but everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves with wine, beer and food. A special mention to Trish (the receptionist whom we first booked our reservations with - very friendly and helpful), Patrick (our waiter at the hotel restaurant - very friendly and yet professional) and Olga (housekeeping - great job cleaning our room) and the rest of the hotel staff who were all very friendly. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future - hopefully for the next Brier.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2010

Thank you for sharing the details of our property. We especially enjoyed that you mentioned some of our team members. They take a tremendous amount of pride in what they do and will truly appreciate your kind words.

Reviewed 16 March 2010

This experience, and I have traveled the world , was better that the finest hotels we have ever stayed at. The caring and friendliness afforded us cannot be matched. It was better than our stay at the most well known hotel in Quebec City.paula Cherie and the entire staff should be rewarded!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2010

WOW - thank you for your positive comments. I will definitely pass on your kind words to Paula. She is a true shining star and I am glad you got to meet her.

Reviewed 6 March 2010

This was my first of many trips to Halifax for business. I chose Cambridge suites after reading reviews here on Trip Advisor, and was not disappointed. Scott Travis, the hotel manager and his staff were very helpful thoughout my weeks stay. Whether it be for directions, restaurant suggestions or help with my business needs everyone was freindly and efficient. Make sure not to miss the Wednesday night manager's meet and greet happy hour from 5-6pm. As a solo traveler I appreciated getting to meet some of the other hotel guests.
The rooms have all been recently renovated and are very nicely decorated and very functional and comfortable. Very comfortable beds!!! The rooms were clean and well stocked. Each room has a small efficiency kichenette with fridge, microwave and even a wine bottle opener and can opener. Very nice.
The Business center which has free access to High Speed internet and printer were very helpful to me as I do not yet have a laptop. Although if you have one the rooms come with free high speed internet access.
Dofsky's restaurant serves a continental breakfast, that goes beyond the normal muffin and coffee. There was fresh fruit salad, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, home made muffins,three cold cereal choices and a self serve toaster. My only suggestion here would be maybe some bagels or english muffins. Of course there was Coffee, tea and juice. I ate two meals at Dofsky's as well and both were delicious. Nice casual feel to the restaurant.
This hotel is in walking distance to all the attractions of Halifax and has a indoor parking garage with elevator access to your room from the garage. It's central location was nice, a short walk to the Citadel just in front, the Metro center just down the street and Spring Garden shopping district as well as the Historical area's and Waterfront.
All in all I really enjoyed my stay and plan on returning here for my next trip.
Thanks to all the staff
Debra from Montreal

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Debra_from_Montreal
scotttravis, General Manager at Cambridge Suites - Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2010

Thank you Debra_from_Montreal for sharing your feedback on our property. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon and hopefully your visit will include a Wednesday night.

Reviewed 3 January 2010

I stayed here with my family in August on a trip to the Maritimes. I have to say Cambridge Suites was the best hotel we have stayed at in a long time. We stayed in this gorgeous, modern suite. When you walk in, there is a closet (with doors!). Then you enter the large living room with a big couch (sofa bed), desk and chair, flat screen TV on the wall, and of course a kitchenette! Yes with a sink and dishes! We had a "harbourview suite" so we had a beautiful view of the harbour! Too bad no bluenoses were passing at the time.
There is also a bedroom with very comfortable beds and an abundance of comfortable pillows and of course another flat screen TV.
There is a rooftop patio with a great view where you can go to eat, relax, or tan. There is underground parking for $15 per night. The hotel breakfast is really good with a lavish buffet of hot and cold food. Don't worry about the hotel not having a pool because you can go to the Prince George Hotel and show them your Cambridge key and they give you a pool key as the two are affiliated.
As for the location, it really couldn't be much better. It is right across the street from Citadel Hill and a minutes to Spring Garden Road and the harbour.
As good as this hotel is, its staff is even better. From start to finish we were treated with respect and felt that we were valued as customers.
I would definitely stay here again without even thinking. Keep up the great work!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Stayed here again - my choice. Very professional and helpful staff. Clean, comfortable and functional rooms. Great location. Useful breakfast included in price. Easy access and parking.

Because of the staff, the location and overall fit and finish, I would definitely stay at this well managed hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business