“Good rate, OK experience; will be better when renovations are complete”

Bluenose Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Putnam, Connecticut
“Good rate, OK experience; will be better when renovations are complete”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This appears to be a hotel in transition, based on other reviewers' mentioning renovations in progress. It appeared during my visit in late June 2011 that the renovations so far had focused on the main building at the front of the property. We were in the other building, the three-story wooden structure in the back, and it would appear that these have not been renovated yet. For $71 a night, I am not complaining -- this was reserved in advance on the website, and when we arrived the sign out front advertised a $69 rate. It was just my wife and me, but somehow we got a large room with three queen size beds and two bathrooms (shower in one, toilet and sink in the other). The door was in bad shape, but it had a card-swipe lock that worked. Room was a little shabby but clean; the only thing I didn't like was a chair with cloth upholstery showing some stains. It had one window, providing a view of a propane tank under an exterior stairway. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Internet worked except for an outage at 10 p.m. one night; clerk said he would re-set the router, but it was not done until day shift came in the next morning. Rate includes breakfast in the Perks restaurant, and it is basic -- hot or cold cereal, toast or bagel, tea or coffee. All in all, it was a good experience, but I would advise people to ask if the better rates are available in the renovated rooms in the main building.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I came into this hotel and from the time I went through the door the atmosphere was wonderful. The staff were very friendly answering all my questions and helping me out in a pinch. I could only not have asked for a better place. I understand this hotel changed hands in December and the improvements to date were worth the visit.

Room Tip: front of the hotel has best view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I picked this hotel because of the pics of the Cafe! love the chalkboard writing!
The staff at the Perks Cafe have been amazing to me! From the Owner (Marsha), to the cafe manager (Miranda),and all the excellent customer service experts: Cheryl, Kate, Holly! Travelliing alone does get lonely but these lovely ladies have provided a sense of home for me! The small town feel is alive and well in Bedford, especially at this cafe and Cheryl was extremely helpful in my search of apt hunting with leads!! The food and decor in the cafe is great value! The hours of operation for the cafe are very convenient, the food( homely selection) and service friendly and affordable. Best coffee I've had in Nova Scotia...highly recommend !!!!!! :)

Room Tip: if u want view ask for it. options available
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
North Bay, Ontario
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Renovated rooms are ok. Still need a lot of work. Breakfast is coffee and cereal. We just went out for breakfast. Kitchenettes have no dishes or utensils. Wireless Internet is slow or none existent. The one thing I did like was that they charged my card right away with no hold.

• Stayed April 2011

Travellers are raving about these Halifax hotels

Ontario
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Just finished my 2-night stay at this hotel.

Was hesitant to book due to negative reviews, BUT I also read that the rooms were recently renovated.

The hotel is an older 3-story bldg with some other rooms on the main level. Wooden exterior staircases and no elevators here, but there must be accessible rooms on the main level.

Staff was always great and helpful.

Room was clean, no frills, with an older tv set w cable and free coffee. A good deal altogether and decent choice for the average road warrior. Wifi worked too.

Give this place a chance.

• Stayed February 2011
Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2010

This hotel is fine if there are no other options. In fact, most of the motels/hotels, including the Howard Johnson Bluenos, along Bedford Highway have seen better days The internet service worked for one day out of the four we were there. There was a persistent foul odour coming from the washroom. The property appeared shabby and poorly presented. The floor of our room (#53) was not level so the bed was on an angle making sleeping a bit difficult. If were not so busy we would have looked for another place, but we didn't have time and we were out for most of the day. Staff were pleasant though. They have a big challenge to put a happy face on some of the big problems at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Sapulpa
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We got there early enough to cancel, so when we got in the room through the screen door that was partially off and by the window which was open, we turned back the bed spread and saw what was undoubtedly sheets that had been slept on and not changed. Believe me, you could tell by the wrinkles. Can you imagine? We did get our credit card charge torn up and were able to get a great deal through the visitor's center.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
ihurst, Manager at Bluenose Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment. This hotel this in now under new ownership and closed for much needed renovations. The staff is 100% new and the renovations are exstensive. We will re-open with about half of the rooms operating on November 25 while we work on the remainder of the rooms. The hotel was pooly run....it will be very well run. I am the principle in the Management Company that has been engaged to over see the hotel for the new owners.

We are excited to bring a new level of caring, service and cleanliness to the hotel when we re-open on Nov 25th.

Come see us then!