“Be aware of the parking.”

Delta Hotels Barrington
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My family and I stayed at the Delta Barrington on July 1/12. Check inn was great, staff were friendly and the room was fine, we were next to the pool which was nice for the kids. There is no hot tub, but the pool was great. Our tv would not work and a call to the front desk had the problem solved quickly. Location is downtown. There are air-conditioned pedways that you can take right to the casino and waterfront.

Be aware that this hotel offers valet parking only for a cost. Our stay was great until checkout. When our van was brought to the front of the building we discovered that our license plate had been stolen. We had to go to the police station to report this. As it was a holiday we had to wait until the next day to get new plates. Thankfully we were only going a little ways out of the city. I don't know what someone travelling a distance would have done. The police said we could not drive the vehicle until it had plates and that if we were stopped and charged with driving without plates, we could challenge the charge in court. Again, what would the traveller who lived a far distance away have done?

No follow up from the hotel was done, until I emailed and asked if the plate had been found and I received a phone call, saying they had not called as they had no news about our issue.
As I have said great stay until we were departing.

Room Tip: Liked being next to the pool. Did ot have breakfast or use the spa.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank susiegjoa
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent family get-a-way. We are pleased to hear your positive comments regarding your check in and your room assignment in close proximity to our pool for your kids to enjoy. Again we are very sorry for what happened to your license plate. I am sorry the options made available from the police were very limited and can certainly understand how difficult of a situation it must have been. My email is below and would like to invite you to contact me directly to personally assist with any future Halifax reservations.

Thanks again for choosing us.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed for 3 nights on July 9 on a business trip. I had booked a king size room on the 3d floor.

Pros:
- Location: close to everything worth seeing in Halifax. 2 blocks from waterfront. Right on Barrington St, which has some nice food and bar options (Middle Spoon, Chives, amongst others) and shops. Goodlife gym right across the street inside the mall. I didn't use the hotel gym. Colleague said it was not very pleasant. That being said, there are a multitude of hotels within the same radius with the same proximity advantage.
- Free wireless.
- Free Starbucks coffee offered at elevators (though there were never any clean cups to pour it in, unless you got up really early)

Cons:
- Cleanliness room 1: Upon entering the room and walking towards the bed, I noticed several short black hairs on the white bed sheet. There was also a long hair across one of the pillows. I immediately called front desk. Housekeeping manager came by to verify my claim, apologized, and offered compensation (free first night). I was immediately moved to another room.

- Cleanliness room 2: After taking a shower the first night, I unfolded one of the bath towels to find 2 long black hairs on it. I understand that linens contain hair when they are thrown together in the washing machine, but they should not be folded with hairs in them. Unacceptable.

- Housekeeping: I slipped into bed only to feel my feet touching something other than the bed sheet at the end. I threw the covers aside to discover that the sheet covering the mattress was not long enough, so the last foot and a half of the mattress was uncovered. I thought the maid may have overlooked it, so I threw all the sheets aside in the morning for her to notice the problem. She kept the sheets the same way for the next 2 days, however. Absolutely disgusting to think how many feet have touched the uncovered mattress.

Another issue with housekeeping: I was in the middle of eating breakfast at around 8:10-8:15, when housekeeping knocked on the door and entered my room. Really? You want to clean my room at 8:15 in the morning?? Ridiculous!

- Food: I ordered breakfast the 3 days I was there. Terrible. I don't know how a hotel can manage to screw up potatoes and coffee, but this one does! The same breakfasts were also inconsistent: one day I had a pastry included, the other I didn't; one day I had a heap of (bad) potatoes, the next day I had a few pieces. The cream for the coffee was full of little chunks when I poured it. Don't have their fruit/yoghurt/granola breakfast. Absolutely disgusting.

- Bathroom sink did not drain properly.

- Paper thin walls. I could hear my neighbour snore. And my bed would move when my neighbour would move around in their bed. I guess our beds were against the same wall. My colleague complained of loud music coming from bars on her side of the street.

Do yourself a favour and skip out on this one. Any hotel that still uses shower curtains in the 21st century is a no-no. I really don't want to think about whose body parts that curtain has been stuck to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank tripsickle
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Firstly I am very sorry we let you down on several fronts during your recent stay. Certainly not the experience we are known for nor what we strive to achieve. I am however pleased we were able to re-connect offline and bring somewhat of a positive closure to your stay. Thank you for choosing us... we would certainly appreciate another opportunity to regain your trust.

Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed on July 1st 2012. Was my third time at this hotel. Room was nice and very clean. Great pool and gym area. Service and valet parking was exellent. Love the fact that its very close to the waterfront and has a pedway connecting the hotel to the casino and the Scotia Square. Booked the room on Priceline and got a very good deal! Will definitly sleep at the Delta Barrington again!

• Stayed: July 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thanks for including us in your long weekend travel plans! We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and very appreciative you took the time to share feedback with us. My email is below... please feel free to reach out and allow me to personally assist with your future Halifax reservations.

Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

The Delta Barrington is well located in down town Halifax but rooms are very small and you would not want to stay there long if space is an issue. Service is great and it is close to the ocean. Price is around $139 per night. The restaurant is quite expensive got lots of places to eat around there.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jojo029

Greetings from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback with us. We are pleased to read you enjoyed our location service levels. We do have several room categories to choose from for extra space I would recommend our deluxe rooms that are + 400 sq ft. Thanks again for choosing us. My email is below... I would be more than happy to assist with any future Halifax reservations.

Donine.MacDonald@deltahotels.com

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Before my wife and I arrived at the Delta Barrington from Toronto we were assured that we would be well taken care of and we were.

Kylie and Melissa gave us a warm maritime welcome at reception, checked us in quickly and it was off to our Signature Club room. When you do stay at the Delta Barrington I recommend the Signature Club as it comes with a well arranged continental breakfast served in a private lounge for Signature guests. In the evening you can enjoy delicious
hor d'oeuvres which were a nice start before heading out for supper.

The hotel restaurant is currently being renovated so we couldn't experience it but hopefully in the future. Hotels do have to renovate folks and thats a good thing. Once completed it will be really nice. We didn't get to enjoy the pool because we were just too busy doing other things.

Our room was very comfortable clean and quiet, just what we hoped for. I had some of the best night sleeps in a long while. I'll have to get one of those Delta mattresses a.s.a.p. Our housekeeper Morgan always had our room ready and refreshed after returning from a days outing. Never short of toiletries etc.

Another nice thing about this hotel is that the bellmen wear Nova Scotian
tartan kilts. This is a quick reminder that you're now in the maritimes. Nice touch. Say hello to Frank (bellman) he always has a smile on his face.

If you're planning a trip to Halifax in the near future I highly recommend the Barrington. Manager Donnie Mac Donald and his team will certainly make your stay one to remember. They did for us!

Jeffrey Adams

Oakville, Ontario

Canada

Room Tip: Take the Signature Club room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Greeting's from Delta Barrington Mr. Adams!

Thanks again for reaching out and choosing us on your special anniversary get-a-way. We are very happy to have been able to help you celebrate such an important milestone! Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback... we really appreciate it.

Wishing you and yours another great 25 years!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Arrived at the hotel for a two day conference and from Melissa at the front desk to the housekeeping staff asking if we had a pleasant stay and hoped to see us again, the service was typical of the warmth and genuine care for guests that exemplifies the east coast hospitality. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Greetings from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us. We appreciate you choosing us on your recent visit. I will be sure to include Melissa and all team members on your post. We believe our service levels and hospitality sets us apart from the rest. Its great to know you will be considering us the next time you are travelling to Halifax.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Service at this hotel was good, but the rooms were a bit dated and the hotel was loud when we were there (a saturday night).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MMR123456
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent Saturday get-a-way. There are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we really appreciate you choosing us. We pride ourselves on service levels and feel it is a main point of difference for us. We are currently renovating our lobby and in the process of opening a new restaurant... we understand our rooms are not the newest in the city however we work very hard to ensue cleanliness and preventive maintenance programs are in place.

Thanks again for choosing us... let me know if I can assist with any future reservations.