“Tired and worn”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked into the Delta Barrington for two nights and after one night decided to check out and find a decent hotel. The decor is very dated, wooden table had water stains, bed was soft and lumpy, generally worn out and tired. We had a suite, room 158. It was right on the corner of an intersection and the pedestrian handicap warning beeped all night below our window. This is not the hotels' fault of course. We could hardly wait to leave in the morning.
We were overcharged for what we thought was a higher end hotel. Would
not recommend this to anyone! A very bad first impression of Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy H
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hello from Delta Barrington,

I am so sorry to to hear of your recent experience with us... and particularly disappointed we were not able to offer you an upgraded alternative to allow for an enjoyable remainder of your stay. We completely missed the mark on your stay... again I am so sorry. I do hope you may be willing to reach out to me as I want to make up for your unfortunate experience in any way I can.

Thank you for reaching out to us and I look forward in hearing from you.

Very Best,

Donnie
donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Reviewed 4 October 2013

we stayed at this hotel for 13 nights. We were not totally happy with our first room but after a good rest, went to the front desk and mentioned to them that we could not stay in this first small room for 13 nights. Over night would have been fine. they were very accomodating, and we looked at a few other rooms before making our decision. First,,, we were not charged for 1 nights accomodation when we slept in the room for a few hours after a long day and flight. they said not to worry and had the room cleaned again . Our next room was clean.. spacious, and we paid an extra $15 per day which entitled both my husband and myself for 'SIGNATURE CLUB" ENTITIES. This included a breakfast every morning in the Signature Club room which was wonderful. You could make your own toast, there was juice, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, fresh fruit tray, cheese tray..cold meat tray, cold cereals, yogurt, cold hard boiled eggs and more. this you helped yourself to and could even take to uyour room if you wanted to. this also included in the same Signature Club Room..hors deurves every night...again..pickled fish, cold cuts, crackers, cheeses ...a hot dish on the weekend.. If you wanted to sit and enjoy those in the signature room they even had drinks and wine that were on the honour system. We used these facitlites quite often and were very very impressed.

Room Tip: corner suite on second floor . We could see the mall across the street from our window. Quiet room...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Greetings from Delta Barrington,

Thank you so much for including us in your extended travel plans. I am really happy to read you had an enjoyable time once we were able to offer you an alternative room given your extended stay. We pride ourselves on personal service are thrilled to hear your signature club experience was a great addition to your stay. There are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we are all very thankful you chose to stay with us.

Thanks again for choosing us and taking the time to share your feedback. Please feel free to call upon me to assist with your next Halifax reservation should your travel plans be taking you back.

Very Best,

Donnie MacDonald
donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have stayed here before numerous times on business and had stayed here recently on a family trip. I've always been pleased with this facility, until this last trip. We stayed at the Delta in mid-summer.The first room we were checked into was...well let's just say we discovered an atrocious breech of hygiene. Stomach turningly bad. Bodily fluids were involved.

We were moved to a new room. The new room was next to the elevator and the AC did not work. Not good in mid-summer. Luckily, we were only staying one night and spent very little time in the hotel room.

At check out, I mentioned the situation to a very sympathetic employee. He gave me a 25% discount. I thougt they could have done better under the circumstances, but am not one to argue and was happy to get at least something. Upon returning home, i filled out the Delta's online satisfaction survey. I heard from an employee shortly thereafter who ended up giving me the room night for free. I felt this was appropriate given the circumstances.

So...mixed feelings...the stay itself was not good and we were happy to leave when we did, but we felt the hotel resolved the situation satisfactorily.

One last comment - the rooms are quite tired looking, espcially when compared to the flashy new lobby and restaurant. I think they are planning on redoing them this fall.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

I would like to apologize that the serious issue you encountered was not immediately resolved to your satisfaction. I am glad to hear that we were able to rectify this but I assure you that we never want anyone leaving with mixed feeling about our hotel and we not only let you down but ourselves as well.

I would truly appreciate it if you would get in touch with myself or another member of our management team prior to your next trip to Halifax and that you will consider giving us a second chance. We promise we won't disappoint!

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The wonderful staff, convenient location, cleanliness and comfort would take us back there. Comparatively speaking, the price was reasonable and the extra $20 for valet parking was well worth it. The breakfast we had in their restaurant was not as good as it could have been. We suggest some sauteed local potatoes instead of the deep fried cubes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed along your comments about the restaurant to our Chef Brad for considerations. Thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Overall, this hotel is a good place to stay. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly and it's location is very close to many of the restaurants I like to visit while in Halifax. If I could improve anything at all it would be more counter space in the bathroom (very little room for a toiletry bag) and more electrical outlets. Even after unplugging the clock radio, my husband and I had to resort to sharing the bathroom plug to charge our iPads as we each have a cell phone and a iPad that requires charging.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed away from the elevator for a quieter nights sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I look forward to discussing these items with our team, particularly in regards to electrical outlets in the rooms. Our needs are changing as technology plays a bigger part in our day to day lives and this is definitely something that should be considered during our next renovation!

Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed at the Delta Barrington after attending Seaport Beer Festival. The Delta doesn't let you down alway a pleasure. I wish parking was easier . The pool is small but nice. The Delta Barrington always reminds me of the glamorous past in a good way things were done right right and well.
The Hvac is noisy , but over all a very pleasant time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for providing feedback after your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that we met all your expectations and that you enjoyed your time with us. Please let me know the next time you are planning a visit to Halifax so that I can assist you with any arrangements to ensure another great stay!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at the Delta Barrington and enjoyed it immensely. The staff was great from the valet who greeted us and parked our car to the very helpful front desk staff. I can't say enough about how great the people are who work here. They have top notch service and really wanted to make sure we enjoyed our stay. The restaurant connected to the hotel was great as well. I think the only thing the hotel could use is a laundry roo m with a couple of coin operated washers and dryers. There is a hotel laundry service, but that can be expensive and sometimes it's easier to just do the laundry yourself. There was a good laundromat about a mile or so away, but it would be nice to have one in the hotel. Otherwise, the place was great and I did not want to leave. I iwll stay her the next time I'm in Halifax.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for choosing the Delta Barrington for your recent trip to Halifax. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and that the service you received throughout was at the high standard we aim to provide each and every guest.

Although we do not have laundry machines that you can use yourself at the hotel, I'm happy we were able to help you find somewhere close by.

I hope to see you back again in the furture!