“Room smelled of mold and damp ”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I stay in Halifax quite a bit with work and was booked into the Delta for the first time. We checked in early and an attempt to get me a early room seemed at best attempted... I came back later in afternoon to check in. My room 308 - was in the attic with a very small window. The room was damp and had a smell of rot in the air. Overall - will not stay here again on my travels

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you for choosing to try our hotel on your business trip. I am very sorry to read we let you down on your recent travels and am disappointed with our efforts given this was your first experience with us. Please trust we will ensure your past room goes through a complete audit to ensure any deficiencies are fixed.

Again I am very sorry for the stay we provided... your experience is not what we strive to deliver nor what our guests have come to expect from us. My email is below I invite you to connect with me as we would really like an opportunity to make up for our shortfall's.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Service at this hotel was excellent. The staff were friendly & helpful. The lobby is cold & unwelcoming with no comfortable sitting area. The rooms themselves are small & there is no sitting area, just a desk against a wall. We could not visit with our friends so the front desk immediately arranged for a table & chairs to be brought into one of our rooms. I felt it was quite pricey for what you get but maybe this is downtown Halifax. we also had to pay for daily parking & wait to get our car. We didn't eat at the restaurant but found a Tim's & a couple excellent local places like the Bluenose II which had wonderful food & great prices.

Room Tip: we did ask to be moved from an inside room as the roof top was under Reno of some sort.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent Halifax visit. There are many reputable hotels in our city and we really value your business and having you as our guest. I am sorry we missed the mark on your room assignment given your need for some extra space. Parking is at a premium in our city we do ensure our service and price is consistent with others in our location. I am thrilled with your feedback on our staff and the service levels they provided while you were with us. I will be sure to share your feedback with them.

Thanks again for choosing us... may email is below... I would really like to personally assist with your next Halifax reservation should you be travelling back this way... I am very confident we can improve and regain your full trust.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

From the first inquiry about rates to the time we checked out I can't say enough about the level of service that the staff provided. Having worked in the hospitality services field for several years, I know indifference to guests is the one thing that makes my blood boil! This was NEVER an issue at the Delta. From the reservation person who called me after being waitlisted, to the doormen, desk clerks, Tempo staff and housekeeping we were made to feel most welcomed. I had actually made a reservation at a competitor because you were booked, but cancelled it when you called to say a room was available. Next time we are wanting to stay downtown we will certainly be staying with the Delta - the service is second to none! P.S. Can't wait to see the final result when renovations are complete!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Greetings from Delta Barrington,

Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I am thrilled to read your feedback and equally proud of our team for providing you such a great experience... your comments echo who we try to be each and every day. I am so happy we had a late cancellation that allowed for your stay... thank you for changing your plans to be our guest.

Thank you for staying and we all look forward in welcoming you back again soon. Also to note we are in the planning stages of a room renovation.... we are all very excited about this!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have just stayed at the Delta Barrington, and while the facilities might be what you expect - fairly ordinary, standard amenities in the room, what has made the stay stand out for us is the level of service. Everyone we spoke to from Check in to Housekeeping went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to accommodate our needs. One example: we arrived back at the hotel mid afternoon in need of a cup of tea. We didn't seem to have proper facilities in the room, but within minutes of a phone call, I had not only a range of tea bags but a proper tea kettle in my room. It was the level of service that made you feel that you had stayed in a small family hotel and not a large chain. Room Service Breakfast on our last morning arrived on the dot of the time ordered. I have stayed in many many hotels at far higher room rates, but the Delta provided service levels that went above and beyond other well known expensive chains that pride themselves on Service. The water and chocs every night were a nice touch. The Tempo restaurant is a little souless to eat in at night, but the food was good. We would be happy to come back here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Hello from Delta Barrington,

Thank you so much for including us in your recent travel pans... there are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we are very grateful you chose to stay with us. I am thrilled to read your comments regarding our service levels from all aspects of our hotel... our employees are very engaged and care a great deal for their guests... thank you for recognizing their efforts.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. My email is below should you need to connect with us in the future.

Best!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

At the end of our Eastern Canada trip we were upgraded to a King Size Bed and appetizers at 5pm with a continental breakfast. Lovely stay and easy front desk service. Our car was valet parked but there was no concern and it was brought around quickly when needed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Greetings from Delta Barrington! Thanks for taking the time to share you feedback with us. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your Signature Club experience! We really appreciate you including us in your travel plans and hope to see yo back again.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we pulled up to the door did not expect the experience we had. Valet service was quick and organized; check-in staff friendly, and explained the hotel services very well. Room was clean,comfortable bed; had a refrigerator, and the best perk was Starbucks coffee served near elevators every morning. The gym had lots of machines and the pool was clean. Stayed for 3 nights and had a great sleep. Doors were a bit loud when closing and gaps at bottom let in hallway noise although I did not experience and disturbing noise. Perk every evening finding a bottle of water (free) an a chocolate or two. Internet worked well. I would not hesitate to go back and it has a very convenient location to lots of restaurants and shopping close by.

Greetings from Delta Barrington,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit. I am thrilled to read your review outlining the personal service you received during your stay. We pride ourselves on our service levels and I am very thankful to you for taking the time validate our efforts. There are many reputable hotels in Halifax and we feel very fortunate you chose us. That being said my email is below... please feel free to connect with me the next time you will be travelling to Halifax... I would love to personally assist with your reservation.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked into the Delta Barrington for two nights and after one night decided to check out and find a decent hotel. The decor is very dated, wooden table had water stains, bed was soft and lumpy, generally worn out and tired. We had a suite, room 158. It was right on the corner of an intersection and the pedestrian handicap warning beeped all night below our window. This is not the hotels' fault of course. We could hardly wait to leave in the morning.
We were overcharged for what we thought was a higher end hotel. Would
not recommend this to anyone! A very bad first impression of Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy H
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hello from Delta Barrington,

I am so sorry to to hear of your recent experience with us... and particularly disappointed we were not able to offer you an upgraded alternative to allow for an enjoyable remainder of your stay. We completely missed the mark on your stay... again I am so sorry. I do hope you may be willing to reach out to me as I want to make up for your unfortunate experience in any way I can.

Thank you for reaching out to us and I look forward in hearing from you.