“Cheap and not elegant...”

Fountain View Guest House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Halifax
Fountain View Guest House
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 13 January 2012

...but just fine if you are traveling light and spend little. Rooms were clean but small and very dated. The shower was showing signs of wear. I agree with the comment about taking your own toilet paper, that was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bethsheff

Reviewed 3 November 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 separate nights here and were very happy we did. It was $50+tx for our first room, and $55+tx for our second room with a sink and fridge. It was cheaper and much nicer than staying in a hostel!
The rooms were clean, comfortable, and a good size. It was old fashioned but for this price, I'm more than happy to overlook the floral-print linen and teddy bears on the bed!
It is not a fancy or romantic hotel room, but it was comfortable, clean, and a bargain price which suited us perfectly.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank IntrepidTraveller98
Reviewed 3 September 2011

While I agree with the other commentor on bringing your own toilet paper, and I reccomend asking for the room with the sink and fridge upstairs, it is a great comfy place for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with sink and fridge, bring your own toilet paper.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank rose11177
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The hotel is clean and centrally located. Like the owner says, we are a budget hotel. You pay extra for breakfast, coffee/tea, have to go to Macs for internet and bring your pown toilet paper.

Room Tip: make usre you know what you wantto pay for
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2011

While I wouldn't exactly recommend the Fountain View as a great place to stay, it is at least a reasonable option if you're in a pinch (last-minute booking, like us) or just looking for cheap accommodations. We stayed two nights upstairs (can't remember the room #, but facing the street) and one night downstairs (smallest on the mainfloor). Based on what I saw, I'd suggest staying upstairs.

Pros: beds surprisingly comfy, clean sheets, air conditioning, quiet building, easy walk downtown, commons across the street, "Jane's on the Commons" just down the block. Though the bathrooms were shared, there were enough of them on each floor that there was never any competition for use.

Cons: on the whole rather frumpy and a bit shabby, smelly (and possibly dirty) carpets (I kept my shoes on...), and at least one set of very musty towels. Also shared bathrooms are still shared bathrooms, no matter how available. On the whole, acceptable but not entirely clean-feeling.

All said, the place is what it is. I wouldn't make a point of going back -- but, if simply in need of a cheap and (relatively) clean bed for a night or two, it's not a bad option.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eml271
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We decided to check this place out because of the cheap accommodation and location close to the downtown area. The lady who owned the place came across not too friendly but didn't take to that too much. The place smelt old and of cigarettes in the walls.. Carpets dirty.. We had a huge wet stain on the floor.. And started getting soaked while it rained. Air con did not work. Had an allergic reaction in the middle of the night.. Had to leave and find
another hotel. We did not receive a refund. We planned on staying
the next night but she at least
gave us our money back. She told
me that my allergic reaction had
nothing to do with her place.. We
also told her about the stain and
she was defensive. I have never had a reaction like that before.. Nor do I have allergies so it was strange.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Shortexy
Reviewed 14 November 2010

This was the coolest, cutest little guest house. Very homey, comfortable and I couldn't believe the price. If you are staying in Halifax you have to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple