“Owners Pulled A Fast One-Beware”

Fresh Start Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Halifax
Fresh Start Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 22 Halifax B&B and Inns
canada
“Owners Pulled A Fast One-Beware”
Reviewed 9 September 2006

Although the place is nice & clean, when booking directly by phone, Innis (proprietor) said the cost would be $80CDN per night since it was low season. Upon our arrival on the 1st day, we met her and she confirmed again that it was $80 / nt. When it was time to leave, Shelia (the other proprietor) said that we misunderstood, the cost is $100CDN/nt. We argued this fact but somehow Innis could not be found. Very nice tag team here. We had no choice to pay however I will never stay there again. And it is NOT worth the $. The WESTIN NOVA SCOTIAN is $99/nt CDN if you book through the tourist bureau downtown (they book for you). Westin doesn't offer breakfast but they have THE HEAVENLY BED.

Stayed March 2005
12 Thank alwaysonyourside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 1 September 2006

My partner and I stayed at Fresh Start for one night on a road trip through Nova Scotia. After 2 days of camping, this B&B felt absolutely luxurious. We stayed in one of the cheapest rooms available, with a double bed and a shared bathroom and still felt pampered.

I prefer B&Bs that give some privacy but are offer a warm welcome you'd never get at a hotel. Fresh Start fit that description perfectly. The house is beautiful, and much larger than it looks from the outside. It felt like a small friendly inn filled with simple but beautiful furnishings throughouts the house. The B&B is run by two sisters, who I immediately fell in love with. They were both friendly and helpful without being overbearing.

The "shared bathroom" was actually two bathrooms, a larger gorgeous bathroom with a clawfoot tub and piles of fresh towels and a small but cute "emergency" bathroom with just a toilet and sink. Although the house was completely full I never once had to wait to use either bathroom. They were also open and sparkling clean. Some rooms have private baths, and others share bathrooms on other floors so this may have accounted for the lack of bathroom pile-up.

Since we opted for the cheapest room, I didn't expect much, but our room actually ended up being a beautiful, if very small bedroom facing the street with what we still refer to as "the best bed ever." The bed was super comfy with high thread count cotton sheets that I loved so much I actually had to buy some for my bed at home.

Breakfast was also very good and served family style in the cozy dining room. The other guests were a charming mix of couples (gay and straight), friends, and two moms with their daughters. Fresh Start was featured in one of my fave cookbooks, now out of print, Candian Bed and Breakfasts (that's why I choose it) and the food definitely lived up to the reputation. There were several types of yummy muffins (including bran muffins so good you'd forget they were healthy), yogurt, juice, fruit and whole wheat french toast with local maple syrup.

Compared to many of the downtown B&Bs in Halifax, Fresh Start is inexpensive. The reason is the only downside to Fresh Start, the location. It's in a mixed income, ethnically diverse area about a 15 min walk to downtown/waterfront. In a city with huge hills, the walk is easy but not very pretty. There's lots of offices, cheap corner shops, people just hanging out, empty clubs that are closed during the day, peppered with the occaisional restaurant. The library is on the way (with internet access). I live in a large US city, and felt totally safe and comfortable in the neighborhood, but others might not.

Parking is horrible in Halifax, and Fresh Start has free parking behind the house. Definitely a huge plus! We left our car, walked during the day and took the bus (which drops you off right outside and takes you through downtown) at night.

I found Halifax a bit overrated, but loved Fresh Start so much that we wished we could have spent more time there. If you're looking for a good place to eat I reccomend Sweet Basil, a fantastic italian fusion place on the waterfront about 15 minutes from the B&B.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple