“Wish I could give it 10 stars”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Peterborough, Canada
“Wish I could give it 10 stars”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here Oct 11 and 12 this year. I have never written a letter to management before, but the staff at this hotel deserve recognition from the top. Even my husband, who is hard to impress, told me to write a letter. The front desk staff went over and above any expectations in helping us find various tourist sites. Housekeeping helped us in numerous ways, and she even left a little gift bag on our desk. Restaurant staff made excellent suggestions for meals and local beers, and assured me that my usual Starbucks drink could be made to my liking the next morning. And it was. One of the wait staff had even been in my small town in Ontario in the past, and we spoke about various landmarks and bars. Right from the moment I made our reservations, I was impressed. The young man on the phone was the epitome of Down East friendliness, and he upgraded our room without me knowing until we arrived. At no charge. We had a lovely king harbour view room, on the corner no less. The beds were comfortable, and the A/C-heat was easy to use, and not as noisy as some places. We found the entire facility clean and well maintained, easy to navigate (even getting to the casino through the walkway), and the smoking area outside was sheltered, with seating. Valet parking was prompt, and careful, with my new little red Kia. We were beyond impressed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen H
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Greeting's from Delta Halifax!

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay... I am thrilled to read your comments and am very proud of our team to have been able to engage with you from time of reservation to check out. There is no question our staff and the service levels they provide are major assets to our hotel... thank you very much for recognizing their efforts... I will ensure they are all in receipt of your feedback.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and again taking the time to let us know how we are doing. My email is below... please feel free to connect with me to assist with any future Halifax reservations.

Best,

donnie.macdonald@deltahotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel lobby and restaurant have been upgraded recently, but the rooms will also need to be done soon to bring them up to par with others in the area -- and unless you are getting a special rate it could be overpriced. The staff is excellent and attentive, and I especially like that the hotel is pet friendly. Really pet friendly!

The Harbour City restaurant on the main level serves Starbucks, but there is also a good food court, liquor store and small shopping centre (Scotia Square) upstairs from the lobby area. We really like the food, which is pretty much all locally sourced.

We have stayed here many times and did not realize till this stay that there are rooms in a small annex area that have balconies and some have access to a nice sized common area patio. The rooms in that area only have the option of 2 double beds, but it's a treat to have outdoor access from your room with a wonderful harbor view.

Our room was upgraded to a Junior suite because of our Delta Privilege membership. It's a good choice if you are there for a few nights but the bathroom is tiny. There is also a fridge in the room, and a separate sitting area with a second TV.

Wifi and wired internet are available in all rooms and the speed is excellent.

Ask for a harbor view room on a higher floor .. to the right when you get off the elevator. We have stayed in rooms from 715 / 815, etc. up (odd # rooms). They have the best view for sure.

We were a little disappointed that the breakfast buffet (which was excellent), ended at 11 a.m. on a Saturday morning, as were a few others who arrived after us expecting to have breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view on an higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your time and again appreciate you taking the time to articulate your experience. We truly value your loyalty and will continue to work hard ensuring our service levels and offering's are to the highest standards. You raise a good point on Sunday morning breakfast times... I will pass this along to the Harbour City team.

Again thanks for continuing to stay with us... we all look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Best,

Oxford, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This continues to be my hotel of choice when visiting Halifax.

They did an excellent job with the renovations to the hotel lobby. The rooms are a bit tired but are clean and comfortable. Free high-speed Internet is a nice touch, however I wish it wasn't necessary to keep logging in every time you sleep your iPad.
Valet parking at $23 plus tax is pricey, however self park is $19 plus tax.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Greeting's from Delta Halifax,

It was great to have an opportunity to meet during your stay and share stories to discover what a small world it really is! I appreciate your feedback on the re-setting of our in room internet connections... trust we will dig in and see if we can find a solution to alleviate that. Its great to be in receipt of your feedback and we all appreciate your continued loyalty.

Very Best!

Halifax, NS
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is not worth the money they are charging.

When I arrived, there was no doorman. No big deal, I thought. The accessible door was very small and inconveniently located.

Neither of the front desk workers acknowledged my presence until I asked them for help, even while I stood in front of them. After checking in, I was given two keys for the room - one of which was bent so badly that it wouldn't work. They offered to upgrade my room for a harbor view for a $20 fee. I asked what my view was otherwise and they shrugged, muttering "I dunno. Probably just some buildings or something." I paid the fee. The signage in the hotel was minimal and I had to wander around to even find the elevators.

Once in my upgraded room I was disappointed to find the following:
- Wallpaper that was peeling at every seam and pooly papered-over outlets everywhere
- Stains on the walls, carpet and bed runners
- A very basic alarm clock with no aux line or charger for my smartphone
- Chips and cracks in the doors
- Stains on the room service menu
- A cracked bathroom counter (over 6" long)
- A very small bathroom
- Curtains that would catch and refused to close
- Ads. An ad on the door handle for the hotel restaurant. A pre-recorded ad for the wake-up call. Ads throughout the information binder.
- A delivery charge for room service, plus tax, plus gratuities on one of the most expensive menus I'd seen in hotels, including those in downtown London, England.
- Though there was a large sign saying they proudly brew Starb. coffee, the coffee maker in the room came with no-name junk that tasted awful.

For an upgraded room, this was really the pits.

Now, there were some good elements of this hotel: the air conditioner, though loud, was very effective - icy, even! - and the pool and fitness room were lovely. The whir'pool was a little weak, but still appreciated.

Finally, when I went to check out, they attempted to charge me a second time for my room upgrade. I will never use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
I'm so sorry that we let you down in so many areas during your stay with us. We usually take great pride in our excellent customer service and high cleanliness standards and we failed to live up to these standards for you. This is not the impression we want anyone to leave with and I do appreciate your feedback.

I encourage you to email me directly or call and ask to speak with the Manager on Duty in regards to your experiences. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and make it up to you.

Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip to the city. I found a spacious and very comfortable room here that had all I needed to be focused on work.
The restaurant downstairs offers some fine maritime food choices - the chowder was very, very good - and drink options.
Staff was lovely and personable in the best maritime ways.
The location is also great right downtown, walking distance from waterfront, downtown restaurants.
One thing to be aware of: there are two Delta hotels in town - right across the street from each other. I am told the Delta Halifax is the main one to stay at, as it is more modern and amenities are better, too. I'll take my local contacts' word for that!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hello from Delta Halifax,

Thanks for staying with us on your recent business trip. Its great to read your feedback regarding your experience with us. Harbour City Bar and Grill is a real highlight for our hotel and I'm thrilled you had an opportunity to enjoy its offerings. We do have two locations in Halifax the sister property being Delta Barrington. I encourage you to consider trying it on your next visit to Halifax... its equally as great a hotel as Delta Halifax.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please feel free to connect with me to assist with your next Halifax reservation. I would be happy to provide you a tour of both properties here in Halifax.

Very Best!

Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The drive from Texas to Nova Scotia was a singular experience. Thousands of miles through some of the prettiest landscaping. Upon arrival, the experience was upgraded. This city a very historic. Filled with the nicest people in Canada!

The hotel was in need of slight "rehab" in the rooms and common areas. The office building with garage attached next door was going through MAJOR rehab. The noise was NOT a factor because the attached building was away from the rooms and common areas.

The bell staff was excellent. The concierge staff was helpful and knowledgeable. There is no doubt this property was worthy of the 4-star-rating.

Come to Halifax and stay at the Delta Halifax...you will like it!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a "bay view" other wise you see the side of an office tower!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hello from Halifax!

It sounds like you experienced true Nova Scotia Hospitality during your recent trip to Halifax, both at the hotel and in the city - it's great that you got to experience it and that you enjoyed your time in our wonderful city!

You right that we are due for renovations this year but it's always great to hear that our cleanliness and service more than makes up for this.

We look forward to having you back!

Vancouver
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I emailed several hotels in Halifax with a special request. Many answered but Donny McDonald of the Delta was the only one that was up beat and made it sound like the request was no big deal and they would be happy to accommodate us and offered a couple of room styles.
I was very happy with the view room and the price. The staff were so friendly and made us feel special. I also want to comment on how friendly the housekeeper was. We stayed two nights before we were going on a driving tour of the province and PEI. Before we left, we booked another two nights (through Donny) on our return before flying home. On check out the last morning of our holiday, The first desk clerk (two weeks earlier) we had meant was on duty and remember us and our plans and asked us all about our travels, made me feel very special. I think the staff in this hotel was amazing. Hats off to them and their managers.
Job well done

Room Tip: we stayed in the harbour view rooms , first time with a balcony and the second with a patio. They w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
DRRDeltaHAL, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Halifax, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience - this is exactly the level of service we aim for every day with every guest! Thank you for making us a part of your trip and we hope to be part of the next one as well!

You can always get in touch with Donnie or any member of our team, myself included to help make your next stay as special as this one!!