“Awesome service,beautiful hotel !”

Atlantica Hotel Halifax
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Glace Bay, Canada
“Awesome service,beautiful hotel !”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Me & my fiance stayed in the hotel and it was a great experience. Awesome staff and beautiful hotel! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive Level and it was GREAT
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandiSpencer
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments with your fellow travelers. I am really pleased that your enjoyed your stay and found our team to be committed to service excellence. You are quite correct- the Executive Level guestrooms are top notch, are totally renovated, offer great views and premium amenities including deluxe continental breakfast daily. Look forward to seeing you again when you return to Halifax. We appreciate your business.
Colleen Forward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
New Westminster
Reviewed 28 May 2011

From the moment we arrived at the Atlantica, I knew we were in trouble when we overheard the head concierge openly trash talking several other guests while we waited to be served.

We took the red eye flight into Halifax and chose to pay the extra $20 for the early check-in option that the Atlantica offers online. Imagine our delight when we we're told that our room wasn't ready, (Apparently, according to the concierge, the incompetent polish house keeper was to blame) We were further delighted to find that our room was going to cost us $15 a night more than the price we'd reserved at online and we'd have to pay for parking (which was supposed to be free with the package we'd selected). After arguing the matter for a few minutes the concierge informed us that she'd inquire with her manager. She returned less than a minute later and informed us that they wouldn't be honouring the price which we'd reserved at despite the being clearly defined on their webpage. We must have misread it... The concierge was willing to make things right for us, however, by waiving the cost of parking (which was included in the package we reserved).

Being to tired to find other accommodations we chose to stay the night. They managed to pull some strings and ready an ideal suite for us, inches from the ice machine and house-keeper's supply room.

If you're looking for tiny, unremarkable, overpriced, motel style rooms, well outside Halifax's downtown core, look no further than the Atlantica. However, if you have -any- expectations of a decent hotel experience, do yourself a favour and look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Kshi
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I certainly do want to extend sincere apologies for an experience that seems to have been fraught with frustration. We do offer an early check-in enhancement on our website which is very popular and convenient for guests who are coming to the city prior to the usual check in time. In looking into your situation, it did bring to light a technical problem with requested enhancements being transmitted along with the reservation information. This is now being corrected by the operators of the reservations and property management systems. I can certainly appreciate that after a long overnight flight, not having your room ready as expected would be extremely upsetting. I am most concerned regarding your comments on the interaction that you had with our team members. The behaviour and communication you describe is absolutely not in keeping with the standards of service that we strive to provide and again I do apologize. I hope that you will contact me directly at the hotel by phone or via email, cforward@atlanticahalifax.com to further discuss your concerns and allow us to correct and compensate for any pricing issues.
We certainly do value your comments and wish to insure that your concerns are fully addressed.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Pros: quick check-in (Easter Fri!) and staff very friendly and quick to respond. Card entry to rooms. Nice modern looking lobby and pleasant hallways. Beautiful clean southerly room on the 12th floor, lovely bed, large, attractive bathroom (except for uncomfortable flatsided tub - the showering types won't care about that). Aveda products and lovely thick cotton ring-spun towels. Attractive, comfortable furnishings and decor. I had a great view over Halifax & harbour (and the building being wrecked across the street). About 30 min walk to Spring Garden road maybe less to downtown. Didn't take advantage of the pool or equipment room, room service or restaurants so can't comment other than the prices didn't seem astronomical like some room service menus I've seen. Ironing board and iron, hairdryer, coffemaker very nice to have. Nearby are coffeeshops, shops and several good restaurants (Jane's,plus others...). For transport, hotel is early stop for the Airporter bus so you're practically guaranteed a seat.- do check the schedule though. Local bus runs beside the hotel.
Cons: Location just a three as you've got a bit of a walk to downtown and I don't know how comfortable I'd be walking across the commons as a solo female traveller. I'd probably look at a bus or taxi instead. I missed having a small fridge and a wee kettle would have been nice for making tea. You can use the coffeemaker to heat water, but your tea will be permeated with the taste of coffee - a real turnoff for a dedicated tea-drinker! I found the room a little cool but couldn't really change the temperature although I tried. The flatscreen had analog picture that was rather fuzzy and limited selection of channels (my little motel had more). When I tried to check the hotel channels they didn't have any information. Little things really - in all consideration, I got a great rate and I would definitely stay here again. I'd put it between 3.5-4 on my scale.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback on the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the décor and some of our premium amenities including the Aveda bath products. It is unfortunate that that you did not have an opportunity to experience our food and beverage offerings–as you noted, pricing is very competitive and the food served through in-room dining and in the Seasons by Atlantica restaurant is wonderful. Also, on your next visit, I do hope you are able to take advantage of our complimentary limousine service within the downtown. This service is available to our guests Monday through Friday, from 7:00am to 9:00am and from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Also, when you return, be sure to ask our guest service team to have a kettle sent up to your room. These are available on request as are mini fridges. We will be upgrading and expanding our TV channel selection in the very near future and if you return around the end of June, the building site across the street will have been transformed into a community garden. Again, thanks very much for your comments. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to having you with us in the near future.
New Brunswick
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stayed in this Hotel with a friend of mine while attending the Cheer Expo, Our first night there we had planned to go for a swim when the children from the Cheer squads retired for the night, When we entered the pool area an hour before closing we were told the pool was closed due to the kids not listening, In all respect, that had nothing to do with 4 grown adults wanting to enjoy an evening swim, The brochure in the rooms stated it was an un supervised pool. If the children were acting up fine, Remove them from the pool area but not letting paying customers who payed over 200.00 for 2 nights not enjoy it was very wrong. When we went to the front desk to complain we received 2 different explantions, 1 was children were not listening and getting out of hand the other story was, the supervisor had to leave to go home, Sorry the pool hours were to be until 11pm. On another note, the room we stayed in was nice but the bathroom was not the best condition, the bathtub had long black hairs in it and it was also on the floor. Not the best housekeeping job.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Thank you so very much for your feedback. We were very pleased to host a number of teams attending the annual Cheer Expo and appreciate that you chose to stay with us when you came to the city for this event. Our pool area is extremely popular with our guests and therefore we offer fairly extensive hours of operation, from 5:30 am to 11:00 pm daily. Our valued guests’ safety and security are always at the forefront of our minds and on this particular evening, our team members determined that closing the pool at 10:00 pm was the best option for everyone. However, we understand this early closing was disappointing to you and other guests who may have been looking forward to a late night swim and we do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. As a result of your comments, which are very valuable to us, our operations team is undertaking a review of the situation and will be looking at all options to improve our pool area policies to address any future concerns of this nature. I was particularly disappointed to note your comments on room cleanliness and do want to apologize. This is definitely not in keeping with the high standard that is part of the Atlantica experience. Our housekeeping colleagues are extremely proud of the product they offer our guests. However it does appear we missed the mark in this particular instance. I do hope you brought this to the attention of the team so that immediate action could have been taken to correct this cleanliness issue.
Again, I very much appreciate your taking the time to express your concerns and hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with an experience more representative of our standard in the future.
Very best regards,
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Though this hotel is not right downtown, we chose this hotel due to its proximity to the QEII hospital and were pleasantly surprised by the wonderfully friendly staff (particularly the overnight desk clerks who are cheery in spite of the hour and go out of their way to be helpful.). It has a great sauna, hot tub, exercise room, 2 pools (one for the little ones) for unwinding after a stressful visit at the hospital or a wonderful day of sightseeing. One of the locals who has had a membership to the fitness centre for many years revealed how thrilled she was to use such a well-maintained facility, which in itself is a testament to the hotel. The free early morning coffee and the hot cider in the afternoon in the lobby add that extra touch, especially for those rushing out in the wee hours to catch a plane, have a smoke, or read the paper without disturbing roommates. The experience is not complete without meeting the Season's Bistro bartender...a gentleman who obviously likes people and loves his job. This hotel succeeds in providing that extra touch, where many others fail.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Thank you so much for the very kind comments and for taking the time to communicate your experiences to your fellow travelers. Our location, on the northwest side of downtown Halifax, makes us the perfect location; right in the middle of the main shopping, dining & entertainment districts of Spring Garden Road and Quinpool Road the specialty shops and restaurants of the eclectic Hydrostone neighbourhood and access from the city’s bridges and highways. I am especially pleased to hear that our team members, particularly our night audit team, provided you with friendly and professional service. Eustace, the gentleman who you noted in Seasons lounge, has been a valued part of our family for many, many years and we hope he will be with us for many more. We are truly proud of all team and their commitment to service excellence. The hot cider is a little touch that we offer to our valued guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed this amenity. If you return in the spring or summer, you’ll have a chance to try the refreshing strawberry or cucumber water that we provide in the warmer months. Thanks again for your business and your great comments. We very much appreciate that we had the opportunity to serve you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best Regards,
fredericton nb
Reviewed 13 March 2011

It was a great stay with very friendly staff. stayed there because we had o go to the iwk hospital and was very happy with the hospital rate they gave to offer. we only had one complaint and it was the the members that come in to use the pool. made you feel like it was there pool and you really should not be using it . had one lady come up to me and tell me that my daughter was not permitted in the hot tub area and to get her out , the sign said children under 5 and my daughter is 6. she was also sitting on the side with her mother and only had her feet in and the lady that said it to me was in the pool and no where near the hot tub. she was lucky there was other people around or i would have given her a piece of my mind. also should have a spot that guests can go out and have a smoke , i went out to the only spot i could find and it was all staff members there talking about work and there managers, probably stuff you don't want your guests to hear. would be great if you could take out some drinks and use the awesome deck that is off the pool area!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank freddydude
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Thank you so much for your review of the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. I am delighted that you found our staff to be warm and friendly. We are very proud of our team and the service they provide to our valued guests. It was also wonderful to note that you were able to take advantage of our hospital program. This program provides a room rate discount, complimentary parking and a discount in our restaurant to those guests who are required to stay in the city for hospital appointments or when visiting family members who are in the hospital. We appreciate that the stress and unexpected expenses that accompany this type of visit can be extremely challenging and we are very pleased to assist in some small way.
I am sorry to hear that you encountered some issues with other guests at the Leisure Club. Our team is always here to assist, so please call on us at any time to clarify any rules of the pool area to guests and Leisure Club members. It is a great facility with an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna and guests are welcome to use the facility from 5:30 am through 11:00 pm daily. Your great suggestion regarding providing beverage service on the outdoor deck is something that will be considered for the summer months. There is a designated smoking area strictly guest use to the right of the main doors. Benches and ashtrays are provided. Thank you for your business and your valued feedback. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Halifax.
Best Regards,
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2011

There's no free breakfast, my back hurts because the bed was so hard and only wireless on the "executive" floor. For $160 (with hospital discount!), I expected much better.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank yesthatislovely
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Thank you so very much for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your recent stay. We take our valued guests’ concerns very seriously and I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet expectations. We do understand that everyone has different preferences regarding the firmness of mattresses and I apologize that you did not enjoy a comfortable sleep. We have actually received very positive comments on the beds from many of your fellow travellers. Some of our guests have requested supplier information so they could purchase beds for their homes. We are proud to offer a discount to our hospital stay guests which includes complimentary parking (a $17 per day value) and a 15% discount in our restaurant. Additionally, a donation from each room night actualized through the hospital stay program is returned to the two local hospital foundations to assist with enhancements to patient care. As an alternative, we do offer other package options which include deluxe continental breakfast daily. We do appreciate your comments and your business. Hopefully, we will have an opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future