“Wish it could be better”

Atlantica Hotel Halifax
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My fiancé and I booked a room on hotwire thinking that we got a good deal but the service we received overall was poor. The check in process was very good, the agent was friendly and knowledgeable. We enjoyed the hotel facilities but didn’t feel valued as customer. We were extremely disappointed with the check out. We had a problem with a few things during our stay and because we didn’t call the front desk before checking out, the desk agent Cailin said that we should have called down while the problems came up. The toilet was always running, the room was freezing and there was noise coming from another room on my floor. My fiance did call about the noise because it seemed like a party floor and whoever was working at that time of night said they would contact the room to quiet the floor. I understand that it would be fair to the hotel to have called down with our other concerns however Cailin was very hostile telling us there was nothing she could do for us now. Her reaction to our concerns was unbelievable. She was belligerent! Smacking her hands and Yelling at me demanding attention from the entire lobby was her way of belittling me. I felt terribly embarrassed as others looked on. I was in shock and disgusted by her attitude because I was merely trying to let her know that the room needed to be looked after. Someone of her caliber should be working at a bar in a small town where the music makes her voice seem miniscule. When I asked for the Manager , this very unprofessional young agent claimed to be the Manager on Duty. My fiancé told me to ask for the General Manager however I was stunned by this treatment and leaving to catch a flight so we didn’t bother. I felt like my tragic experience needed to be aired online because this is barely a 1 star with what happened. Her words were I understand what you are saying but how is it you understand when you are yelling at us with absolutely no compassion and talking over me without giving me a chance to talk. This is one hotel I would not recommend to fellow travellers.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tko_s155019
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent stay. I was very sorry to hear that your experience was not positive. We know that our guests have many accommodation options available to them and your business is very important to us. I do extend my sincere apology that you did not feel that you were valued and appreciated during your stay. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual service standards. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much more appropriate stay in the future. I have messaged you through Trip Advisor and hope that you will contact me at cforward@atlanticahalifax.com so we are able address your concerns directly.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

On recent occasion, due to inclement weather, I had to opportunity to stay the night here. The staff was all very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Great room, well decorated and modern with a large flat screen TV (very important for watching the hockey game). The beds were comfortable and the pillows were great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wanted to have a great hotel experience. The lobby is bright and welcoming, halls and elevators bright, quiet and clean. Although we did not get the try the restaurant, we will be staying there again, and we will enjoy what they have to offer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert M
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. It is great to hear that you had a comfortable sleep and found the hotel welcoming. I was truly pleased to note that you enjoyed your interaction with our fabulous team. We know they are our greatest asset and one of the keys to our “Downtown Difference” Your business is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at the Atlantica while I visited my daughter who is attending Dalhousie University. I had a lovely room, very comfortable King sized bed, great view, and a very reasonable price. I had breakfast in the dining room, which was lovely, and where the staff were very friendly and pleasant. It's a nice location, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ryans72

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with fellow travellers. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We do receive many positive comments from our guests regarding the comfort of the beds and certainly the city views, especially from the Executive Level and Gold Level rooms are fabulous. I do hope you will be back to visit your daughter again very soon. It’s a nice stroll to the Dalhousie Campus particularly now that spring is in the air!
Best Regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Saturday 28 January 2012 the HRM Board of Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers held it's annual fund raiser at the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. From the moment we started planning the evening with Catherine Coutts, Executive Meeting and Conference Service Manager, to the day of the event when assisted by Banquets staff member Scott, Cailin at the front desk to the staff working the event, we were extremely pleased with their assiatance and professional conduct. We are looking forward to returning with furture events.

Cheers,

Don Jenkins.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Don J

Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments. It is great to hear that everything went well with the fundraising event; it is certainly a very worthy cause. Your kind words regarding our team, particularly Catherine, Cailin and Scott will be shared and celebrated. Our colleagues are second to none in the city and we know that they are sets our hotel apart. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Three family members and I stayed at this hotel from the 23 to the 28th of January due to a medical emergency involving a very close family member. The "hospital rate" the hotel offerred was a very pleasant surprise, and I preface this narrative by noting that, for the price we paid, the value of this hotel was exceptional. I'm not going to sit here and attempt to trash the hotel or its staff, as they were generally very good. However, if travelling to this hotel, one should be aware of certain aspects. The hotel was unbelievably cold. As a man who is normally referred to as a furnace by my wife, I found myself with numb hands and a nursing a constant chill in all common areas and particularly the elevators. The rooms were cool as well, and the air conditioning/heating units in the two rooms we occupied had seen better days. The unit in our room was cranked all the way to 86 degrees and continued to blow ice cold air. On day two or three, we managed to coax it into blowing some warmer air. The breakfast buffet was very comprehensive, but both of the egg dishes looked like they had been sitting out in the warming tray for hours (ie a lovely skin on the scrambled eggs). If you choose to order breakfast from the menu, build in some extra time - although the food is generally very good, the service is slooooow. Expect 30-45 mins to receive your breakfast order.(on average) On the upside, they had a three or four person live jazz band play the "Seasons" lounge on Thursday and Friday night. I would have paid to see them, without question. (yes, they were that good). Free wireless - definate plus. Free parking (with the hospital special), another definate plus. Therein lay the conflict. There were a lot of positive aspects of the hotel, some which were well above expectations, though in the same breath, there are also a number of disappointments - things that really wouldn't take much to fix at all, if they had taken the time to address them. As a result, I am left wanting to rate this hotel higher, but I just can't do it. It was good, but not great. In understand this is an old Holiday Inn, taken over by the Atlantica group. One employee described it as management "going at it alone" to take over the hotel and manage it. Perhaps they just don't have their business model perfected yet.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Rob_S_987

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our excellent hospital program which offers a very special guestroom rate, complimentary parking, and a discount in Seasons restaurant. The program does offer a great value for those who have medical appointments or are visiting family or friends at city’s hospitals. We certainly value and appreciate your comments and do want to assure you that the few issues you noted such as the guest room & lobby heating unit will be reviewed with the maintenance team. Again, we appreciate your business. Hope that your next visit to Halifax will strictly be for pleasure and that you will be back to enjoy the great Thursday night entertainment in Seasons Lounge.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2012

My hubby and I got a great deal online for this hotel so went to stay for night. The front desk staff were very pleasant and professional. When we were there they had a jazz band going in the lounge which I believe may be a regular thing.

Considering that the hotel is on a busy street I was surprised how quiet it was. Only work up once during the night and that was due to an ambulance leaving the nearby hospital.

The beds are comfortable but the rooms although clean could definitely use some refurbishment. Underground parking is expensive there and they could use more lights in the underground garage. There is a lot of free parking around the hotel if you take the time to look.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Timbitgirl

Thank you so much for your comments. Great to hear that you enjoyed our regular Thursday night entertainment in Seasons Lounge and also that you found the hotel to be a quiet place to stay. Our beds are definitely a hit with our guests and actually a number of guests have purchased the same type of bed through us for their own homes! On your next stay, please take a look at some of the value-added packages that are available. Many offer inclusions such as complimentary parking and/or free breakfast. You should also try our brand new Executive or Gold level floors which are totally renovated and offer a number of additional premium amenities. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I had a romantic getaway for New Year's Eve and had a great stay. Friendly service, nice hotel, good price. My only problem was the staff not being up front with the cost of the underground parking. When I received the additional invoice for the parking, I took it with me to checkout. When asking about the big charge, she didn't even respond. I noticed other customers with the same invoice in their hands. I think many of us were surprised at the cost.

Other than that, a pleasant stay at the hotel. It's very centrally located and within walking distance of the great downtown. In summer you could walk through the botanical gardens to get to the water.

The only other quam was the hottub could've been hotter!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank billyrotten

Thank you very much for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay. It was wonderful to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy a romantic time away at our hotel. We appreciate being part of your New Year’s Eve celebration! Our heated underground parking charge is very competitive with prices charged in our downtown core and is noted on our website and on the registration card at check in. However, I certainly apologize if these charges were not clearly communicated to you prior to the day of departure. On your next visit to the city, you may wish to consider some of the excellent packages that we offer which include parking and/or deluxe continental breakfast. They definitely offer a true added value. Thank you for choosing the Atlantica Hotel Halifax. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit. It’s never too soon for another romantic getaway!