“Just exactly average.”

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
PEI
“Just exactly average.”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before, and have always booked through Priceline or Hotwire, usually staying with a group of friends to go out. This time, my husband and I decided to upgrade at check-in, because there were no rooms available with a single queen/king size bed, only doubles, and we were there for a little getaway. I had no problem paying the $25 +tax charge, and was told the room we would be staying in was newly renovated with a nicer view. While there was nothing wrong with the room, it wasn't exactly what one would expect when told the floor had undergone renovations. You could see where the carpet had been cut to meet the wall, there were chips in the porcelain in the bathroom, the curtain didn't pull across all the way, etc. All of that being said, the room was very clean, and we had a great nights sleep. (Which in my opinion is more important than updated features). In hindsight, I wouldn't have upgraded as the rooms we've stayed in before at the Atlantica were just as nice as the one we upgraded to. The location is ok, it's not right in the heart of downtown like the Courtyard Marriott or Westin, but was about a 10-15 minute walk to Market Street where we had supper. We walked home as well, around 10:30 and felt very safe. The staff at the front desk (Carlos and another woman) were very helpful and lovely to deal with. Parking is $17, which in my experience is to be expected when staying in Halifax- it is what it is. We had one drink at the restaurant after returning from supper, the staff was friendly and the view of the city was beautiful. We would stay again, but probably not if we were looking for a romantic getaway as it's really nothing special.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother upgrading, as the rooms we've stayed in before were just as nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Carleton Place, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

There was nothing wrong with this hotel. Just nothing exceptional. It's an old Holilday Inn that has rebranded. Service was good, the breakfast was overpriced and ordinary, and the parking was pricey. Rooms were comfortable but the heater was either hot or cold all night. Like I said...nothing exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CPFamily_5
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Overall great spot very clean, nice comfy beds, nice shower lots of hot water. If I was to complain a bit it would be no mini fridge (Rm 811) and it was very hard to check in on a Sunday afternoon a little early. I tried at 130 then 230 and finally at 305 they had a room. Maybe the place was packed but it sure didn't look like it. I blamed it on the good deal from Priceline for the price we paid we weren't getting an extra minute! Also 19$ to park seemed like lots for being so far away from downtown. Its about 7$ for a taxi to the waterfront area but we did the walk back from The Metro Center in about 12 minutes. Bar and Restaurant have good service and a nice panoramic view.
Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a better view of the city.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have stayed at the Atlantica hotel several times over the past five years and it is consistently good. The staff are nice and accommodating.

The restaurant was very good, but maybe a little over priced, with very small portions. The restaurant service was very good though. The views from the restaurant are wonderful. It would be nice to have a ten or fifteen percent discount in the restaurant for guests to encourage them to dine there.

We always enjoy the pool and fitness centre.

The beds are comfortable and the décor is nice. We always ask to have a room away from the ice machines though because they are the loudest ice machines that we have ever heard.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the ice machine. The ice machines are very loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed at the hotel for two days and it was a very comfortable stay. The beds were very comfy and the rooms were extra clean. Great staff , and made a point to always have a smile on their face. Also, having fresh lemonade in the lobby was a nice touch. Would like to have a mini fridge in the room. Restaurant menu a bit small but food is great.

Toronto
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel was certainly adequate and affordable (booked through Hotels.com). The room is a good size and everything looked very clean and in good repair and the bath amenities were Aveda products which is always nice. The staff were very courteous and check in was efficient. The location is good, walking distance to everything in downtown Halifax.
My main concern was the bed. Very soft, no support at all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DOSAtlantica, Director of Sales at Atlantica Hotel Halifax, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your comments. I was very pleased that you found our team members to be personable and efficient and that you enjoyed the room size and the premium Aveda products. We do have an excellent preventative maintenance program in place that includes a mattress replacement program. It seems, from your feedback that we may have missed a mattress that needs attention and I do apologize for that inconvenience. Our beds usually draw rave reviews and a number of our guests actually purchase beds through our supplier for their own homes. If you are able to contact me directly with the room number that you stayed in, it would be most appreciated. I can then have our team address this issue as soon as possible. My email address is cforward@atlanticahalifax.com
Thanks again for your feedback. We absolutely appreciate your comments.
Best Regards
Colleen
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Atlantica is my favorite hotel for many reasons:
1) Great location and easy to hail a cab.
3) Excellent restaurant (try the burger with bacon jam- amazing). Breakfast buffet is very good as well.
4) Very friendly staff.
5) The beds are very comfortable (super important to me).
6) The bathroom toiletries provided are AVEDA- can't beat that. Plus they provide you a loofah for the shower. Which is really convenient because I prefer a loofah in the shower but never remember to pack one.
7) Pet friendly - important for me, as I travel frequently with my small dog.
8) The snacks in the room are unique. I love the protein bars and vitamin water.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 15th floor are beautiful.
1 Thank JKBurns