“Room review”

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Dartmouth, Canada
“Room review”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The room and service was great but the room location wasn't. I was just by the elevator and the window was by the corner of Robbie St and Quinpool Rd and had hard time to sleep throughout the nigh because of the the traffic and elevator noise. So when making a reservation ask for your room at the opposite side of Quinpool Rd which means it would be along Pepperell St and the furthest from Robbie St. If you do that you'll have a much better night sleep.

Room Tip: When making a reservation to the Atlantica Hotel ask for your room at the opposite side of Quinpool...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Hubley, N.S.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had booked with other city hotels and took my little dog with us. I reserved a room to go to our Staff Christmas party in the city. I was assured this was a pet friendly hotel. The night before check in I was told we couldn't leave our dog unattended.How do people stay at a hotel and go out to dinner? Do they have a pet friendly dining room ?It was so disappointing and ruined our Christmas party at such short notice as we had to make alternate arrangements for our dog.I tried calling the front desk on 3 occassions and had to go down to the desk as no one answered the phone.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an upgrade it is an older hotel and all rooms are about the same. The phone c...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MoeCyr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We arrived to this hotel early but staff was very friendly and nice to store our luggage in a secured room before our rooms were ready. We were staying for 5 nights here so the staff gave us a lot of great suggestions of restaurants nearby. There is a laundry room (sadly only one cleaning and one dry machine) which is especially for my group since we've been traveling from city to city. There is a nice size pool and a small gym available.

Rooms are decent, unfortunately you cannot open the windows (I prefer fresh air circulation). The pillows... they are just terrible. I usually have my own but left it in the previous hotel so had to rely on the ones this hotel provides. I also had to ask the front desk staff several time before they sent my room a fridge.

Location of this hotel is great, right in the heart of Halifax. During my stay, there were a couple of business functions so if anyone's company is interested in staying here... there were a couple of conference spaces available. Hotel is close to many restaurants and supermarket. I do have to say the decor is a wee bit outdated, I hope they decide to redecorate a bit soon. The restaurant inside called Seasons, was one of the better assets of this place. But sadly, the internet service provided is just terrible... please fix this, especially those of us staying for business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had a good stay at the Atlantica, but there are small details that could have made it better. The location could be more central, the ventilation is not the best and the air is quite dry in the hotel. The staff is very helpful, and they try their best to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PEI
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before, and have always booked through Priceline or Hotwire, usually staying with a group of friends to go out. This time, my husband and I decided to upgrade at check-in, because there were no rooms available with a single queen/king size bed, only doubles, and we were there for a little getaway. I had no problem paying the $25 +tax charge, and was told the room we would be staying in was newly renovated with a nicer view. While there was nothing wrong with the room, it wasn't exactly what one would expect when told the floor had undergone renovations. You could see where the carpet had been cut to meet the wall, there were chips in the porcelain in the bathroom, the curtain didn't pull across all the way, etc. All of that being said, the room was very clean, and we had a great nights sleep. (Which in my opinion is more important than updated features). In hindsight, I wouldn't have upgraded as the rooms we've stayed in before at the Atlantica were just as nice as the one we upgraded to. The location is ok, it's not right in the heart of downtown like the Courtyard Marriott or Westin, but was about a 10-15 minute walk to Market Street where we had supper. We walked home as well, around 10:30 and felt very safe. The staff at the front desk (Carlos and another woman) were very helpful and lovely to deal with. Parking is $17, which in my experience is to be expected when staying in Halifax- it is what it is. We had one drink at the restaurant after returning from supper, the staff was friendly and the view of the city was beautiful. We would stay again, but probably not if we were looking for a romantic getaway as it's really nothing special.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother upgrading, as the rooms we've stayed in before were just as nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Carleton Place, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

There was nothing wrong with this hotel. Just nothing exceptional. It's an old Holilday Inn that has rebranded. Service was good, the breakfast was overpriced and ordinary, and the parking was pricey. Rooms were comfortable but the heater was either hot or cold all night. Like I said...nothing exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CPFamily_5
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Overall great spot very clean, nice comfy beds, nice shower lots of hot water. If I was to complain a bit it would be no mini fridge (Rm 811) and it was very hard to check in on a Sunday afternoon a little early. I tried at 130 then 230 and finally at 305 they had a room. Maybe the place was packed but it sure didn't look like it. I blamed it on the good deal from Priceline for the price we paid we weren't getting an extra minute! Also 19$ to park seemed like lots for being so far away from downtown. Its about 7$ for a taxi to the waterfront area but we did the walk back from The Metro Center in about 12 minutes. Bar and Restaurant have good service and a nice panoramic view.
Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a better view of the city.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple