“Above expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Dartmouth, Canada
“Above expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Wonderful renovated property in the heart of Halifax. Staff are very attentive, spacious rooms are well appointed. Highly recommend for Business or pleasure. On site bar and restaurant are top of the line.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ggordon25
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Good morning ggordon25,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We appreciate your business and comments and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Jamie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Hotel in Halifax. The hotel was beautiful, and my room and service made me feel at home! I don't get many opportunities to go on vacation, due to long hours and and I have a 7 year old daughter, so the great experience at the Radisson was extra special for my daughter and I. The staff gave us all the information and more about Halifax, suppling us with walking maps and they even gave me a razor and shaving cream free of charge! Honestly I can say my experience at the Radisson was great till the very end. Even when checking out I didn't have to lift a finger. The two working at the front desk, a young lady named Katt, and a young gentlemen named Aaron took care of everything for me, even took my bags from my room to my car! My daughter was so impressed, it gave her a great impression of the city and its hospitality.
I'll make sure to suggest the hotel to all my friends and I'll be back Radisson!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Maddy R
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Good afternoon CuteCaper,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review! I am glad to hear that we made you feel at home and that you got to spend some quality time with your daughter. You are welcome back at any time and we look forward to hosting you again.

Best regards,

Marrakech, Morocco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I just stayed at the Radisson this weekend with a friend and her daughter in Room 403. This was my fourth stay at this property. My friend is a club Carlson member and has stayed there for years. She and I have known each other for years and met as teenagers and have both worked in the industry for years.

I walked in and was pleasantly greeted by the concierge/valet and commented on my surprise about the renovation. I had not stayed there since last December. He told me to wait until I saw the rooms.

The renovations have this transformed this property. I must admit I am unsure how I feel about it.
It is euro trendy, contemporary and a very cold decoration. We are in Halifax at a Radisson. The Radisson is not a W or perhaps they are rebranding to compete with the new ALT hotel at the airport. It is well done but not what I think of as Halifax. Miami- Milan perhaps.

The rooms have been completely redone.

Entry- you come into a foyer with laminate flooring, bathroom on your right and the galley kitchen on your left. The foyer is quite large but lacks a table and it a fair amount of wasted space in the room as it cannot be viably used as a living area and losing this space has reduced the size of the sleeping area.

Bathroom- There are only showers which has become a trend in the industry. The large rain head shower is quite lovely but could use some more pressure. The fittings are similar to one's we used in a property I managed elsewhere but that we opened 10 years ago. Sadly, despite a reservation for 3 there were only towels for 2 people. Even when the room was serviced by housekeeping the next day- towels for 2 were left. Obviously, I could call the front desk but housekeeping has a rooming list which would have listed the occupancy at 3. Small gestures like this save money for the hotel but skimp on customer service.

Bedroom- The beds at the Radisson have always been of a superior quality to similar brand hotel hotels. There are lots of outlets to plug in your various media and good lighting in the room.
Important to note in this renovation- The fold out sofa is now located IN the bedroom- you do not physically have 2 rooms as you did in the previous incarnation of this hotel. Families with children may wish to keep this in mind- putting the kids to bed and watching tv in the other room is no longer an option.

The renovation has been well done and though out albeit not to my personal taste. Housekeeping and the concierge services were superb.

However, the new trend look has brought out a bit of attitude with the guest service supervisor.
Her welcome or lack of it, was enough, to mar my friend's stay and lead her to decide to stay at another property such as the Marriot.

She and her daughter are world travellers. However, they are extremely low key and unassuming. My friend always says, never judge a book by it's cover. Jessica checked them in.
I have little doubt they may look slightly out of place in the new trendy atmosphere being cultivated but seriously- this is Halifax and a Radisson- Not the Ritz Carleton in New York!
They arrived and the valet welcomed then back as they had not been there since the renovation.
He would remember them as she is an excellent tipper!. They went to check in and met Jessica.
There was no welcome, no banter, no how was your trip. My friend mentioned that the renovations were new to her- nada nothing- as Jessica looked up the room reservation- the front desk phone rang- without a beat she picked up the phone and proceeded to have a conversation with another guest. Ok- that is her job- it happens all the time- but you acknowledge the person in front of you - you say excuse me and usually thank them for their patience during the interruption. Jessica found the reservation for 3- She then proceeded to lecture my friend that "lucky" there was a pull out sofa in the room as not all king rooms had pull out sofas. My friend explained, being unaware of the renovation, there were sofa in every room.
She had booked for 3. Jessica continued to go on about this. My friend felt unwelcome and unvalued as a customer.

It upset her. This hotel was part of her Christmas tradition with her daughter.
She was LUCKY to have a pull out sofa? Jessica was LUCKY to have her business.. In this case,
one guest service supervisor with attitude has cost this property a loyal customer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Good morning avalon8,

Please allow me to start by thanking you for your business and taking the time to post your detailed review. We are very proud of our renovation and what we have accomplished and appreciate all feedback we receive. I would like to apologize for your service experience with our Guest Services Supervisor, as I can assure you that this is not her normal service style; in fact, it is quite the opposite. I have spoken to Jessica and she is deeply sorry and apologizes also.

Regardless, as you know in our industry, we need to be sharp and polished at all times. Upon check-in you were booked and placed in one of our Studio King Suites, which by my assessment was not compatible for the number of guests in your travelling party. What should of been suggested, was a more appropriate larger full suite, with an offer of a tub or shower and a larger living space with a separate bedroom.

In closing, you are the customer and I can assure you that we value and appreciate your business. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Halifax.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I loved the hotel! It was the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The suites are so roomy just like a small apartment. But what really made the stay perfect was the staff. Kris, Trevor, Jessica & Lynn all went out of their way to make our stay so enjoyable. Valet parking was a great idea, it never took long to get our vehicle. And the directions to all of the wonderful places we visited were extremely helpful and accurate. The location was also perfect, close to the harbor walking distance to the Maritime Museum where the Titanic exhibit was located. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Halifax.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Janice F
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Good morning Janice F,

I hope you had a great weekend! I would like to thank you for your visit and wonderful review. I am happy to read your praise of our staff, as we are very proud of the team we have here at the Radisson. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Halifax!

Best regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while visiting my daughter who studies at Dalhousie and definitely plan to return. The hotel itself is beautiful with a very welcoming lobby. I stayed in a suite and the decor is very modern, cozy, and simple. I like to workout, so I was pleased with the workout room along with the indoor pool and hot tub. Since I had a suite it was pleasant to have breakfast delivered in the morning.

Trevor, the concierge, was quite helpful with explaining how to get around and suggesting where to go. The bus is only two blocks away so it took my daughter 20 minutes to get here from her dorm. We visited the Maritime museum right behind the hotel which has Titanic Exhibits as well as the Halifax explosion and a lot of other shipping exhibits. For dinner, The Bicycle Thief is walking distance and a fabulous restaurant. We had the squash puff pastry appetizer and everyone tried the pasta dishes for entree's (which were all heavenly).

The next day we wandered through the many boutique shops and enjoyed dessert at the Middle Spoon where everything is made fresh on premise. Do not skip this on your visit. Oh my god it is amazing. There is also a lounge downstairs and their bartender is a mixologist who rivals, if not exceeds, the best in Manhattan (including Fat Radish, Freemont Alley, or Nobu).

We also dined at Piatto where we enjoyed arguably the best pizza ever. The waitress was not very knowledgeable and a bit unfriendly, but the food made up for it. This was also walking distance from the hotel.

The staff at The Radisson were all great including Lynn, Trevor, and everyone we came in contact with. Lovely experience.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Judy H
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Good morning Judy H,

Thank you for your visit and the time you took to complete your review. I would like to thank you also for sharing your experiences of the area, as our follow readers will appreciate it greatly. We are very proud of the team we have here, so thank you for your mentioning a few of them by name. I will be sure to give them a pat on the back for you.

I am glad we could be a part of your visit with your daughter and we look forward to seeing you again.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Albany, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My friend and I traveled from Virginia and Texas to see beautiful Halifax, Peggy's Cove, and Lunenburg in all of their fall glory. We had a wonderful week's stay at Radisson in Halifax. It is such a beautiful place.
Jessica M, Kris H and Trevor P were fabulous. They felt like family by the time we sadly headed back to the states. Our room was a wonderful, comfortable retreat each night we returned from visiting the city or making day trips. Each and every member of the staff went out of their way to help us get to the destinations we chose during our stay. This experience has made us want to return to beautiful Canada and Radisson Halifax soon!
Sharon from Texas

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank DsGigi
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Good afternoon DsGigi,

Thank you for your visit and review! I am pleased to hear that you had a great week with us and enjoyed your time in Canada. Thank you also for your feedback and praise, as we appreciate it very much. We look forward to hosting you on that next trip to Halifax!

Have a wonderful day!

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

By all accounts, the Halifax Radisson Suite Hotel ought to be a highly coveted destination. With massive suites decorated in the latest Euro-chic, two flat-screen TV's, raining shower heads and trendy Kohler fittings, what is not to like? Well, it helps if all that stuff WORKS, for starters...

I checked in early in the morning and was happy to find that my room was already available - a very nice touch for a traveller who has been in transit since the wee hours of the morning. My room was VERY cold (a senstion that was accentuated by the shiny grey floor tiles and the white plastic faux leather walls). I found and adjusted the thermostat. No response. I turned it up a bit more. Still nothing. Another couple of notches - now aiming for 30C - and the heater kicked in for about two minutes, then shut off again. Worse, the fan kept going and quickly reduced the temperature to something you might expect in a small-town Saskatchewan hockey arena in February. I assumed it was my incompetence with hotel thermostats. I chose 25C, set the thermostat on "AUTOMATIC" and left for my meetings.

When I returned several hours later, the room was still an ice-box, so I called the front desk. They sent a maintenance man who took the heating unit apart and discovered a faulty relay switch. While I was waiting to have that replaced I turned on the TV, only to find that it was not acting properly. Alerted to this, the maintenance man called the manager, who came up to see what was wrong. That resulted in more calls to off-site advisors, and ultimately the problem - a loose cable - was resolved. Meanwhile the new relay had been installed and the heat was on. I left for the evening, not bothering to point out to my support team that the fancy light over the high-bar was also kaput.

When I got back to my room a few hours later, it was evident that the heating unit had been running full blast ever since the maintenance man had departed. The suite was now like a white-walled pottery kiln. With no way to cool it down - the windows don't open - I simply had to sweat it out. Bizarre. To compensate me for the issues the front desk gave me a coupon for a free breakfast at the hotel that I couldn't use because it was time-limited to one day. I didn't press the issue. Why they didn't just move me to another room, I will never know.

One other little thing I noted was that the room is quite sound-proof from outside noises, but not from noise within the hotel. At one point I was entertained by what seemed to be either a drunken karioke party or a calf castrating convention - maybe both - going on in the hall outside my room.

For all that, the room was very comfortable (once the temperature issue sorted itself out) and the king-sized bed was one of the best I have found in a hotel, anywhere. Service was quick and friendly. Facilities - pool, gym, restaurant, bar - seemed entirely agreeable (although the bar area was pretty chilly). If not or the tech issues, Radisson would have gotten a 4 out of 5, at least - but little things - like a functioning heat source - do count.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Good morning WJP89,

I would like to thank you for your visit and review, as we appreciate both very much. I would like to again apologize for the heating and TV issues you had during your visit. This is certainly not the norm, nor is it acceptable. I believe you were not moved, as our staff felt the fix would be quicker than it was. Not to mention that you were in a Business Class corner suite, which are limited in number. I am happy to hear that we got the issues re-solved for you and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you also for your positive feedback and praise as we are very proud of what we have here at the Radisson Suite Halifax and I am glad you got to experience it.

All the best and we look forward to seeing you again!