“Home away from home”

The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have been staying at the radisson hotel Halifax for many years. I have always loved the hotel as well as the staff. The new renovations are wonderful,very tastefully done. The rooms are second to none. My wife and I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Halifax. From the staff at the front desk to the doormen to the house keeping staff,you would be hard pressed to find better. They are all very friendly,and go above and beyond to make your stay as perfect as possible. The radisson is our home away from home.
We would highly recommend this hotel for its location, wonderful rooms, and the incredible staff.
Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Reggie S
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Good afternoon Reggie,

Thank you for your continued patronage and review. We appreciate being your hotel of choice when travelling to Halifax. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our team, as they work had and appreciate the feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your 'home away from home'.

All the best and have a great week!

Jamie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,504)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've been coming to Halifax on average every four or five months, staying anywhere from a week to two weeks each time. After being "spoiled" with Starwood, I all but refused to stay anywhere but the Westin and Four Points. The Four Points, mostly for the Starpoints and cheap hotel room, and the Westin for a nice property.

Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the Westin, but I was pleasantly shocked by the quality of this Radisson location. The only other Radisson I have visited was such a horrible property that I was turned off the brand completely, but this particular hotel has given the Radisson brand another chance with me.

Both my boyfriend and I have decided that when possible, we will stay at the Radisson whenever possible, when we are in Halifax. The fact that every room is a suite is a major plus to me. The only other hotel reasonably close to offer an all suite hotel would be the Residence Inn, and of course the Radisson is leaps and bounds ahead in amenities. Plus, the Radisson has a great steakhouse, Ryan Duffy's, right downstairs. It is expensive for dinner, but they do have specials and I think it'd be worth the splurge every so often.

When checking in I was greeted promptly by a member of the hotel staff, and when asked my name, Jamie (the GM) was standing by and jumped in to the conversation when he heard my name. I was quite shocked that he recalled my name, stay, and a special request, from emails that took place weeks ago! Even during the last night's stay when we crossed paths in the lobby, he stopped me and asked how my stay was going.

As a Gold Elite member I walked in my suite to find a small gift basket with a bottle of Nova Scotia wine, and a bag of some sort of maple glazed nuts. There was also a personally written note left next to it, welcoming me to the hotel and wishing me a fantastic stay.

All of this is a far cry from the treatment I have received at any Starwood hotel, even with comparable reward status, which is what has lead us to deciding to stay with the Radisson during all future stays.

Ladies and gents, the Trip Advisor rating for this property is well deserved, and there's no reason in my mind why this property is rated as the number two hotel in Halifax.

Room Tip: As with any hotel in Halifax, a harbourview room is a must!
4  Thank Thomas R

Good morning Thomas,

I hope and trust you had a fabulous weekend! Thank you for your visit and it was a pleasure hosting you. I am elated to hear that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. We certainly appreciate the comparison and the time you took to draft your review. I will be sure to pass along your praise to the staff and they are here to welcome back any time. I look forward to making that next trip extra special also.

Until then.....

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a weekend in Halifax.. If anyone wants to visit this city in class - make sure you stay at the Raddison! Everything from the food, the room, the room service, the drinks at the lounge, the timing of cleaning, check-in and out, etc was perfect! I decided to splurge and get valet-service and my car was brought to me at an instant notice.

Trevor, who takes part in concierge, was very knowledgeable of the entertainment and local restaurants. He provided us with numerous recommendations, which we thought was pretty cool. I would have to say he is the "go-to guy" if you want to know the best places to go to when going out on the town!

Room Tip: Top floor harbour view - you will not be disappointed!
5  Thank Derek J
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Good afternoon Derek J,

Thank you for the visit and review. Trevor is a great asset to our team and I will be sure to pass along your comments and praise to him. I am happy to hear we made your weekend enjoyable and look forward to having you stay again. We appreciate being your hotel of choice when in Halifax.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've recently stayed in a very comfortable One Bedroom Suite at this conveniently located hotel. The staff is very courteous and friendly. As I'd seen at their website, space is generous and tastefully appointed; the beds have mattresses with adjustable firmness and plenty of towels are to be found in the modern bathroom. There's a laundry room on the 3rd floor where you can do your own laundry for a few dollars, which is definitely an added bonus. Parking is 10 metres away, so self-parking proved to be a reasonable option.
My only reason for not rating this hotel as excellent was the unfortunate event of having had some unruly young guests on the same floor, who were loud and inconsiderate. The staff did what they could to try to solve the situation after I complained, and when this happened again the following night -it was a weekend- they tried to compensate with a complimentary breakfast (which was tasty). After completing a survey where I briefly detailed the fact, I received an email from the General Manager addressing the issue, a gesture I truly appreciate.
This hotel is so nice that I'm willing to give it another try (and I will), in the hope the party-goers were not the rule but just an exception.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Good afternoon JeyCe,

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to complete a detailed review. We appreciate both very much. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I would however, like to apologize to you again for the noise disruption from other guests during your visit. This is certainly not the norm, nor what we wish for. Although your overall rating of 'four star' is great, I am confident we can make it 5 stars next time.

All the best, thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Cheers,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I had originally booked a room for the evening of Saturday February 15th 2014 to celebrate Valentines Day and my birthday. However my cousin passed away the Thursday before therefore I had to cancel and reschedule for the following Saturday the 22nd of February. From the time we arrived check in was great and our suite was beautiful. When we entered the room on the bar table there was a basket with a card addressed to me as well as a bottle of wine and peanut brittle. I originally thought that perhaps a good friend of mine had sent it for my birthday. However after opening the card, I quickly realized that it was from the staff of the Radisson Suite Hotel expressing their deepest sympathy for the passing of my cousin and if I needed anything at all not to hesitate to ask. This was a touching gesture and greatly appreciated! By far the best hotel in Halifax right now. Every hotel and staff should take a few pointers from the amazing staff of the Radisson Suite Hotel. We will definitely be back:)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kendrick L

Good morning Kendrick L,

I would like to extend my deepest condolences to you for the loss of your cousin. As difficult as this must be we appreciate your kind praise and recognition and you are most welcome. Clearly our staff made lasting impact and I will ensure they all get the 'pat on the back' they deserve. I am also sorry for the way you had to celebrate your birthday, but perhaps reach out to us again next year and make it up to you.

Thank you for your business and have an enjoyable weekend!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here in Feb during the Boat Show Event, cannot saying enough about this hotel, we usually stay here once a year as its meets our expectations, very good service, the newly renovations are beautiful. The rooms are very comfortable and walking distance to everything! Highly recommend the Radisson!

4  Thank lisleblanc
Jamie B, General Manager at The Hollis Halifax - a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Good morning lisleblanc!

I would like to thank you for your visit with us this past weekend. I hope you enjoyed the Boat Show and the wonderful weather. Thank you for your review and the recommendation. We look forward to seeing you for next year's Boat Show!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband, myself and our 2 school aged children just returned home following a week end in Halifax, which we spent overnight at the Radisson. Overall, we were very impressed with this hotel - the service was friendly and efficient, the quality of the furnishings was excellent and the entire property (from lounge to pool) felt very clean and fresh. Loved the suite we were in as if was very spacious! We have stayed at the majority of hotels in the downtown area and have come to the conclusion that from now on, we'll only be staying at the Radisson. The only downside to this restaurant was the room service breakfast that we ordered through Ryan Duffy's - it was delivered to our room on time, however the food was quite cold and the fruit salad was disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank SJP76

Good morning SJP76 to you and your family!

I would like to thank you for choosing to spend your weekend away from home with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to take advantage of our many services. Please allow me to apologize for your room service breakfast experience as this is not what we like to hear, or provide. Be assured that I will follow up.

Have a great week and we will see you next time.