“Perfect Choice”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lord Nelson while attending a family wedding. The downtown location is perfect across from beautiful gardens with plenty of shopping and other amentities within walking distance. The staff couldn't have been better or more accommodating. The Victory Arms Pub was an excellent spot for dinner with generous portions at reasonable pricing. A very lovely hotel with loads of charm!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michmack
There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Stated 2 nights in mini suite on the 5th floor. The room was quiet, away from the main street, and the bed extremely comfortable. Servise included bed turn down and evening chocolate. The only critiques would be the fridge which was noisy, till we switched it off, and the fact that the bathroom was small for the size of the room.
We ate twice in the restaurant which offered excellent value and some good fish.
Would strongly recommend.
Check prices on teh internet beforehand, you may find some good deals.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the main street
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I had the opportunity to stay here while I was on business. There were a few hours where I had some free time and the very enthusiastic front desk staff helped me plan my leisure time. The pub is a warm place for dinner, and offered wonderful selections. My room was impeccably appointed and very clean. In addition to their ammenities, they offeran additional exercise facility just next door - the YMCA. I took advantage as their equipment was limited. I was so very pleased with my short visit, and when I am back in Halifax, business or otherwise, I will return. Thank you all.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2011

The room was very clean but small for two ladies. i asked twice for a larger room but never received one. Asked for a refrigerator, told it was twenty dollars per night and still never received one. Friends checked in later than I and received larger rooms, refrigerators and microwaves at the same price I was paying for a small room with one double bed. I asked which room would one get for the advertised price of $139. but did not receive an answer.
Also we could not get the temperature below 22 degrees C which is quite warm for sleeping. However we did not mention this to the staff so cannot comment on whether it would have been fixed. Elevators very slow so try for a room on a lower floor, we were on the nineth. However the hotel was well situated, quiet, comfortable bed for one, loved the aveda products but probably won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The Lord Nelson is a lovely hotel across the street from the Public Gardens and around the corner from the Citadel. All of downtown Halifax is in walking distance and there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. It is tastefully decorated and has a very swanky hotel feel. I stayed in the Petite room which was fine for one person but would be too small for two. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night and found the prices reasonable and the food good.

My one complaint would be the noise. The heating/air conditioning unit in the room had quite a loud fan which would literally wake me up when it turned on. As well, the doors to the rooms were difficult to close and people would pull hard to close them, with the resulting door slamming noise echoing through the halls.

Room Tip: ask to be overlooking the Public Gardens
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sharon01011
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We read about the Lord Nelson in Frommers and as we drove into Halifax called to book a room. We were given an off-season discount. Everyone was pleasant and nice. We noticed that as we went to our room we passed a conference room but thought nothing of it. The second night we were there there was a LOUD party in the conference room. People were spilling into the hallway yelling to each other. We couldn't believe that they had placed guests on that same floor. When we called to complain, the hotel guest services said "we'll ask them to close the door". An hour later we called again, they told us "There isn't much we can do they are paying guests". My friend pointed out that we were paying for a night's sleep as well. She said they would discount our room. An hour later it was still loud in the hallway, we called an talked to the night manager who apologized and promised a discount on our rate. The party finally quieted down after 11 p.m.
The next morning, we went to the front desk to check out and they had no record of our discount. My friend was very firm and so the desk clerk disappeared to talk with her manager--who declined to come out and speak with us-- they finally said "Sorry, we don't usually put guests on the conference room levels, but you had a very good room rate, we can't do anything for you". My friend insisted so they comped our parking but it was an absolutely terrible experience. I have stayed in business hotels all over the world and have never had an experience like this. I would stay at any of the other hotels in Halifax before I stayed here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Lawrence_MacDonald, Reservations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear dcgirl4071;

I would like to first, thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay. Feedback, both positive and constructive, is a vital tool for us to maintain and improve on all our standards and practices. We strive to deliver legendary hospitality to all our guests. Unfortunately, in your case, it appears, we may have fell short in our goal to deliver you with a wonderful guest experience during your recent visit to Halifax. On behalf of the hotel, I do apologize for your frustration in this regard. We have taken your feedback and as a team, we are using it to adjust some of our current processes so that other guests in the future will not have a similar experience as you have.

Once again, I do apologize for your experience, and can assure you that we take this type of feedback seriously, and will do what we can to have our guests with a positive memory of their time with us.

Lawrence MacDonald
Reservations Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2011

I went to Halifax for a family wedding and satyed at the Lord Nelson.
I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.
There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel which is very British to be honest but not bad fior taht as the service is very Canadian and so excellent.
The location was good and when I rented a car, the satff told me exactly where to go and what to do.

Room Tip: Recommend for centre of Halifax
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BulldogGdansk

Dear BulldogGdansk;

Thank you so much for the kind words in your review. We are quite happy when we see this type of feedback where someone notes that our staff is "very pleasant and helpful". This is wonderful reinforcement for everyone that their dedication to guest satisfaction is being recognized.

I'm glad you enjoyed the meals at the Victory Arms Pub in the hotel as well. It does have a British charm, but as you most likely noticed, there is something for everyone on the menu.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Lawrence MacDonald