“The best hotel in Halifax”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed at Lord Nelson for the third time and if we come to Halifax again, we will stay there. The location is perfect for shopping, for visiting the public garden and the citadel and it is within a nice walking distance from the waterfront - and from all other major sights in Halifax. The hotel is a nice mixture of classic and modern and the rooms are spacious, they are clean and the staff is nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you abroad55 for choosing The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites as the best hotel while visiting Halifax!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We had a wonderful experience and would certainly stay at the Lord Nelson again. We got a great deal on Expedia and we were thrilled by the charm of doormen and turn down maid service, old fashioned hospitality and beautiful appointments. Highly recommended. Walking into the lobby is an experience in itself with the beautiful chandeliers and woodwork. The Lord Nelson "feels" like a five star hotel from start to finish.

1  Thank compuaid

Dear Compuaid,
Thank you so much for highly recommending The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites on TA! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service and amenities we have to offer all of our guests. We are very proud of our historic lobby and are glad to hear you enjoyed the ambiance it has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Halifax.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Across from the most beautiful park and centrally located, this hotel is only minutes from shopping. It is best visited without children ( no pool ). Book a room which includes complimentary breakfast from the lobby balcony. It is worth it. Also ask for a free room upgrade. I was given one without even asking, and in high season! Look for discounts online.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the park, There is no pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ljbmn
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you ljbmn for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We agree our Continental Breakfast that looks over the park on the mezzanine is a perfect way to start your morning! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Halifax!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I really enjoyed staying at the Lord Nelson Hotel recently. The staff was more than helpful in every situation. They even had a mini fridge AND microwave sent to my room free of charge (I just had the standard sized room with 2 double beds). I only ate at the pub there for one meal but it was very good (lobster roll). Obviously, you can't please everyone but I think this is definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed in the past several years and would highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sunfire999,

Thank you for posting your Great Experience with us on TA! We are happy to provide our guests with any assistance they may need. We greatly appreciate that you highly recommend The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I had been waiting to stay at the Lord Nelson. I have stayed at various hotels on trips to Halifax and had been happy with the accommodations. A colleague had recommended that the Lord Nelson was nice and was close proximity to the university and hospitals.
I was VERY disappointed with my stay, specifically due to the cleanliness of the room. My child had to use the washroom as soon as we entered and I was surprised and disgusted by the condition of the toilet seat when it was lifted. It had obviously not been lifted and cleaned between occupants as there was feces still on the underneath of the lid.
The next problem was that the pillows on one bed were full of long black hairs. The room was a suite and a guest was sitting in a chair in our room and moved it. Under the chair was a large orange stain that looked like vomit that had not been cleaned well.
I was there was a celebration and didn't have time to deal with having someone re-clean the room, which I should have. I couldn't wait to check out the next day because the room had been grimy looking.
In regards to food we did eat in the hotel pub and the service was excellent. The food however, was not good. It was overly salted, re-heated and just wasn't the caliber I would expect from this hotel.
The best part of the hotel was the service from the employees. They were pleasant and helpful for the most part but there was only 1 working the desk at the 3pm check-in time and on the check-out time. I thought they would have more people available at the busiest times.
This was a shame because the hotel is IN a prime location. Most people seem satisfied with the hotel, so perhaps my experience is a rarity.

1  Thank Bds1980

Dear Bds 1980,
I sincerely apologize for the conditions of your guestroom upon checking in. This is not a standard of the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites. Please allow me to address your concerns with you directly at 902-423-6331. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future to experience the legendary hospitality we are known for.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

A luxurious blend of modern and classic. We did not have a car but the location is perfect for walking to The Citadel, Natural History Museum, restaurants of all kinds.. and if your knees can manage a steep slope.. even to the waterfront... if not.. it is only $5 by taxi. The hotel staff is friendly and courteous. There is a taxi stand across from the hotel.. so one whistle by a doorman brings a cab in a moment, and the hotel offers transportation to the airport which is cheaper than a taxi. The pub serves an amazing fish and chips.. however, the evening meal was not impressive as the vegetables were not hot. Overall... you get a wonderful experience and can manage very well without a car.

Room Tip: We had a terrible view... of buildings next door... but... we did not care since we were outside doi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Trudy J for posting your experience with us on TA! I am sorry your evening meal was not enjoyable, this is not a standard of the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites. We are glad you enjoy our central location in Halifax and all the great sights we have around us! We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the Legendary Hospitality we are known for.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

First the positive. Had a nice lobby, very impressive. And great location right across from gardens.
But would likely not stay there again, due to the tiny rooms and tiny bathroom. Had no hot tub, no complimentary breakfast, no room to fold out your suitcase. The bathroom had no counter space,
the walls must have been thin because you could hear everything. Charged for parking, and no safe. Bathtub mat had hair on it when I put it in tub...YUCK

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear SL50,
I sincerely apologize for the conditions of your bathroom upon checking in. This is not a standard of the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites. Please allow me to address your concerns with you directly at 902-423-6331. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and experience one of our larger guest rooms and legendary hospitality we are known for.