“Great Location”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here the Labour Day weekend, dropping my daughter off to University. The location is great, the staff were amazing.
The only problem was that we landed on a Saturday afternoon, there was a wedding celebration in progress, and checking in was a very long process.
The staff were great, and did all they could.
Would have been great to have a bar fridge in the room, this is available in most hotels now.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Must be a very proud parent! My apologies for the delay upon arrival since not fun to have to wait to check in. Pleased you enjoyed your stay one settled and found staff friendly and helpful. We do offer small fridges in some of our rooms and agree common now for many hotels. We do plan on having these in all rooms in the near future however in the meantime we would be happy to offer one of our spares when requested if not always provided. I agree we have a great location which is very central an in walking distance to most local attractions, universities and hospitals. Thanks for the visit and feedback and ask to come see us again when visiting your daughter.

There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have been staying at this hotel since my first visit with my parents when I was three years old. Nearly fifty-three now, I have had the privilege of watching this hotel grow and change over the years and this hotel has always been my first choice for both work and pleasure anytime I visit Halifax. We stayed for a two day weekend over Thanksgiving and it was a great stay as usual. We were in an executive King room and it was modern, and comfortable. The service of all staff was professional and friendly. This hotel will always be my first choice in Halifax. I was told that the Victoria Arms Pub in the hotel will be renovating in the new year. I do understand that changes have to happen to remain current and competitive, however I do hope that the old-world charm that makes this hotel stand out, is not lost in the effort keep up with the modern, newer properties.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Wow now that's impressive! Really appreciate your genuine and sincere feedback and grateful for your many years of loyalty. We are planning on investing several million of dollars over next 2-3 years and most of our ideas and renovating is a result of feedback of our guests. We love the charm of our pub and confident the changes will simply enhance what we currently provide. We offer a piece of elegance that you will not find anywhere else in Halifax and grateful you described this perfectly. Confident and grateful we will continue to be your "home away from home" and I can wait to share your comments with our entire team.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I'm sure there are better prices hotels, with nice harbor locations; but The Lord Nelson is a good hotel. Located at the bottom of citadel hill, across from the public gardens, it's a classic Canadian hotel with a dash of modernity. My wife and I stayed here on a quick visit with friends. The room was decent, clean and with almost everything you'd like in a room (no wifi though). The staff were fantastic, helpful and courteous. The pub in the lobby serves a good pint of Guinness and the cafe next door, the smiling goat, has some of the best coffee you'll taste. I think the value was decent, especially given that it's a historic hotel. Worth a stay in my books

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for recent visit and pleased satisfied with value received. We are proud of our historical hotel and understand importance of keeping it modern as well. We empower our staff and believe they really make the difference. My apologies for the inconvenience with the Wifi challange you experienced. Not sure why since we offer high speed access throughout the hotel. Hope you were able to relax and enjoy our central location. Would love if you came to visit us again when in Halifax.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Wanted to stay here at the start of the vacation to enjoy all the splendour and history. Location in the end meant that we just did a day here at the end after travelling around Nova Scotia and glad it was just a day in the end.

Very friendly staff but no real feel to the place more like an airport hotel where they process people for a nights sleep.

Downtown is not too far but you have to negotiate the vagrants on the way back to the hotel which is not ideal.

Not sure was wowed and would want to return

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Disappointed we didn't make your stay better than average. Thanks for friendly staff comment and my apologies for any opportunities missed. We empower our staff and hope they pick up on clue to anticipate needs before being asked. Hope you found product comfortable and able to relax a little and enjoy our central location. Please consider us again when in Halifax and confident nice time we will make a better impression. Appreciate the recent visit and feedback.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hotel was OK, staff/service was fine, but if I wind up back in Halifax again, I would stay elsewhere for a couple reasons:
* Location is a little further away from the downtown/where I want to be than I liked.
* No free breakfast in the hotel (but there were some options nearby).
* No fault of the hotel, but more homeless/panhandlers around the corner by the Tim Hortons/McDonalds.

Again, it wasn't a bad experience or anything like that, but I would prefer other options where I have stayed in the past. That being said, if I stayed here again I certainly wouldn't mind, compared to other places I've stayed in my travels, this is better, just not optimal in this case.

It is nice, though, to have the park right across the way.

Room Tip: View of the park wouldn't be a bad choice, but might give you more street noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

I can appreciate your comments and pleased you enjoyed your recent visit. We love our central location and some don't mind the 15 minute to and from the waterfront. The most efficient route is no walk down Spring Garden Road and turn left on Lower Water Street.

We are pleased to offer an option of either full continental buffet or hot breakfast in our restaurant at very competitive prices. We also offer packages that include breakfast which can referenced on our website or shared if calling hotel directly. I agree several great options nearby as well which pleased you enjoyed. We are not the most expensive hotel in the city since really want our guests to be satisfied with value received. There are several other good options however hope you will again come see us to enjoy some relaxing time in the park. Thanks for sharing comments and hope you enjoyed pleasant return home.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had booked 2 rooms through Priceline last Thursday around 4pm. We drove 4 hours and arrived at the Lord Nelson at 9pm. We had a conference to attend on Friday and Saturday early morning and really just wanted to check in a go to bed. I gave my name to the front desk and without anything being told to me she said she would be right back and she left. 10 minutes later the manager came out to greet us, apologized that they were full and were going to "walk us" to the Radisson where they had arranged rooms for us to stay. I asked "so we just head over to the Radisson and everything is taken care of?" He answered "yes".

Upon arrival to the Radisson, the lady working the reception was expecting us and was very nice in trying to make our situation take a turn for the better. She checked us in to 1 room and said she just had to wait for the email confirmation form the Lord Nelson that they were covering the room (which is normal protocol when an overbooked hotel "walks" a customer to a different hotel). I asked about the second room we had booked and the Radisson was only contacted regarding 1 room. So now we were 3 of us, moved from our original hotel, now around 10pm, at a hotel that only had 1 room for us. However, the room they had left was a suite with two queen beds and a pull out sofa in the second room. So we decided that this would do as we just wanted to get to bed. While waiting for the Lord Nelson to email confirmation, the lady at the Radisson asked if I wanted to call Priceline to get a refund from them since the original 2 rooms I booked through them were not available.

I was on the phone with Priceline for 10 minutes and everything went pretty quick a smooth. Without having to plead my case, Priceline offered a full refund that I had paid them. They also placed me on hold to call the Lord Nelson, when they returned on the line they informed me that the Lord Nelson would also be covering our room at the Radisson. Great! The lady at the Radisson said that this is what she expected to happen and she was happy we were all taken care of. So we checked in a were ready to go to bed around 10:30....

I then get a phone call to our room at 10:30 from the manager at the Lord Nelson telling me that they were not going to cover our room at the Radisson and it was our responsibility. I said I was confused as Priceline had just informed me differently. He said that it was Priceline's fault that they booked us rooms at the Lord Nelson when the hotel was already full so it should be Priceline covering our room at the Radisson and not the Lord Nelson. I went back down to the front desk at the Radisson to see what they had to say. They said "this will be over in a minute". She called the Lord Nelson and told the manager that normal protocol is that they should be covering our room and that's that. The manager at Lord Nelson went off on a rant and Radisson said ok ok ok and hung up. Radisson told me to try calling Priceline again to see if they would cover it since the Lord Nelson was not cooperating.

To make the rest of a long story shorter... Priceline was no help and they were saying it was the Lord Nelson's responsibility to cover our room. So Priceline was blaming Lord Nelson and Lord Nelson was blaming Priceline. Radisson apologized profusely but said they had to get paid by someone and it looked like it was going to be me. They did however only charge us $150 for a suite that normally was $200+.

Very unhappy with both Lord Nelson and Priceline. I had to move hotels, get 1 room instead of 2, check in at 10:30 instead of 9, and be on the phone and down at the front desk until midnight, when I had to get up at 6:30 for an all day conference.

The next day while I was at the conference, I got a voice mail from the Radisson informing me that they had called the Lord Nelson again hoping a new manager was working and informed them of the situation from the night prior. A new day, a new understanding, the Lord Nelson did end up covering our room at the Radisson. Only because of the persistence and help from the Radisson.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JADMAD
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Wow, what a terrible experience for sure. I can fully appreciate your comments and perception shared. I am very disappointed and agree your unfortunate situation should have been handled in a more more professional manner. I attempted to contact you the next morning since wanted to personally apologize and try to recover somewhat from the events of the night before. I hope you will consider staying with us again when in Halifax and invite you to contact me directly if willing to reconsider. I'm pleased and grateful to the staff at the Radisson for providing you a much better experience than we did and can assure you we will learn from this poor leadership example.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Lord Nelson in August for 6 nights. A colleague at work suggested we stay here. We had originally booked the first 3 nights but ended up staying there for the duration of our time in Nova Scotia. The hotel is very nice and perfectly located across the street from the Public Gardens. The staff were extremely courteous. One of housekeeping staff went so far as to take me down to the pharmacy in the basement. I wish I had asked her name as she deserves commendation. Everyone we asked had suggestions of where to go and what to see. As mentioned the Public Gardens are across the street and the waterfront, pubs, restaurants, shopping, etc., is all within walking distance. It was our first time visiting Halifax and it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Grateful you enjoyed our product and service and we shared your comments with our Housekeeping Staff since their efforts on occasion go unnoticed. Seems like you enjoyed a special time with your daughter so grateful we could add to your experience. Hope you enjoyed the remainder of your time in Halifax and Nova Scotia and open invitation to come visit again and again. Thanks for comments!