“Great feedback loop”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stay at the Lord Nelson fairly often, and I really like it, for many reasons, including the location close to Dalhousie and Saint Mary's University.

I had two bad experiences in the restaurant, and I filled out the Comments card and this is the reply I got, which I think is awesome,

Good Day

I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out a comment card after your stay here at the Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites. We strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations, as well as keep up with the changing needs of our guests.
Without comments, both good and bad, we cannot continue to grow and improve as we would like.
As the Manager of The Arms I was particularly interested in your concerns with our food and beverage service. You had noted that your experience with our restaurant was below your expectations. This is certainly not the standard we pride ourselves in here at The Arms. I completely agree with your comments regarding your breakfast experience, having to wait for things (cream, coffee, your bill…), is not acceptable and I assure you your comment card was used in a recent meeting as an example of how important it is to be an organized, efficient server.
I was hoping that you wouldn't mind forwarding me your mailing address. I would like to send you, for your trouble, a gift certificate so that you can come back as our guest on your next visit to Halifax, and enjoy the type of service and hospitality that we expect to provide here at the Lord Nelson Hotel.

Thank you for your time and assistance,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank GoodFeedback
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Pleased we were able to recover from your initial impression and meet your expectations. I am very proud of historical hotel and love our central location which pleased you enjoyed. Hope you will continue to come stay with us when in Halifax.

There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel has its nice moments
overall its a nice and good hotel
bed are good
rooms are ok
walls are thin
bathroom was just ok
has its moments of luxury but overall not a luxury hotel
check in was great
service was good

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank toroboy
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your recent visit and taking the time to share your feedback. Our desire is to further enhance our product which includes the recent additions of fridges in all rooms, new drapes, replacement of all our 50+sofa beds and complete refresh our of our restaurant. We have several more ideas which includes further upgrades to our guestrooms and in room entertainment which confident will add additional value to further compliment our historical property and perfect location. Hope you will come stay with us again when in Halifax.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

A beautiful, old hotel in the heart of Halifax. The hotel is located across from the Halifax Public Gardens and is also on the corner of Spring Garden Road, a popular thoroughfare in the city. The rooms were a very nice and clean, and the public areas of the hotel had a lot of old world charm.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank-you Joshua for recent visit and sharing your positive comments. Our location is ideal and centrally located in Halifax. Spring Garden Road boasts up to 200 retails shops and outlets so certainly something for everyone to enjoy. I'm very proud of our hotel and excited since local owner is very committed to making our property to perfect choice for any traveler. Hope you will come stay with us again when in Halifax and again thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

It's a beautiful lobby but that's about it. The rooms are in desperate need of renovations. The bathrooms are awful. I booked two adjoining rooms and it took three different staff members before they were able to open the doors (painted shut) between the rooms. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

My sincere apologies for your poor experience. We do offer connecting rooms which are used and doors opened regularly. I can fully appreciate your disappointment given how we handled your request. We are very proud of our rooms and committed to continually upgrading our product. We recently installed new drapes and added a small compact mini fridge in all rooms, replaced our 50+ sofa beds and chairs and added 47" inch smart TV to most of our suites. We have ideas to help make our few smaller bathrooms more inviting and few more surprises to increase the value our guests receive. I hope you will consider giving us another try and invite you to contact me directly if you wish to return since confident we would be able to change the perception we recently provided you.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at the Lord Nelson because it was convenient for my hospital appointment the next morning. I was charged a 25.00 pet fee, which I didn't mind paying. I was told I got a discount because I had a letter with me for my app. I was also told I got the last room they had. got in the room it was so hot and I could not control the heat. I found hair everywhere, tub had hair all over it, carpet was dirty, dust everywhere. pee on the floor & down the front of the toilet, looked like it was there for a month anyway. told them when I checked out and the gild said she was so sorry, what ever! she gave me a voucher and said it was a free stay. I paid my bill and it totaled 180.00. did I get a discount or was I ripped off. I said that was an awful price to pay for such a dirty room, they didn't compensate me for 1 thing to make it right, not good. then I got to my car and looked and the free stay paper she handed me, it's not for a free stay, it's an upgrade for the next time I pay to stay. sorry, you do not get a good re-view from me till they make it right.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

My sincere apologies for the lack of cleanliness you experienced. We have very high standards which includes daily room inspections since I fully agree a dirty room is unacceptable. I hope you made a member of our team aware so we could move you to another room immediately. This also provides the opportunity to address any coaching required with helpful examples. We are very pleased to offer a discounted rate for hospital patients which is very competitive if not lower than most of the other downtown hotels. We love our central location which is in walking distance to most nearby medical facilities. I can appreciate your disappointment given expectation of something other than the complimentary upgrade voucher provided to you upon your departure. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations and invite you to contact me directly to make your next reservation. Hope your medical visit exceeded expectations.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I love this place. Situated right across from the Public Gardens on Spring Garden Rd. it's located right in the heart of the city. The lobby is fantastic and reminds you of a past era where oppulence abounded. My wife and I stayed here last Saturday for a little pre-Valentine getaway and had a room on the top floor (9th). View of the Gardens and west of the city was fantastic. The room was fairly small but all we needed. The "Arms" is located off the lobby. It's a newly renovated English-style dining room/pub with excellent food and service. Our 3rd stay here...it won't be the last!!

Room Tip: 2nd hotel experience in a row where the batteries in the remote were dead. Maybe hotels should check...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you Bernie for recent return visit and taking the time to share your comments. We recently added small fridges to all rooms and currently replacing all 50+ sofa beds which is a big investment. Our new ones were purchased from Simmons Canada which provide a Beautyrest mattress which is the best product available. Pleased you enjoyed "the Arms" which opened last Friday. This was also a huge investment which includes fresh new look and exciting new menu. My apologies for the dead batteries. This would be annoying. Our room attendants are expected to turn on TV using remote daily to ensure working properly. We make spare batteries easily available to avoid what you unfortunately experienced. Hope your guest enjoyed this very special valentine gift and grateful you will come stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I truly love this hotel - to me it's the very best in Halifax - everything about it is beautiful and historic from the lobby, to the rooms, to the view and the pub and patio. My husband and I had our very first date here many years ago and it's always a favourite for us. We had a great room on the top floor overlooking the public gardens. Comfy bed and the location is perfect. We also got to experience the newly renovated Arms pub. What a wonderful makeover! They put in windows and increased the seating but kept the British charm we love. The breakfast in the morning was perfect, staff are fantastic, friendly and genuine. We only live 10 minutes up the street in the north end, but we'll be back. We frequently go to the pub for dinner before movies or quiet drinks after - we love it! Highly recommend the hotel to tourists and family visiting for a truly beautiful Halifax experience - this is the place.

Room Tip: We always try to get a view of the public gardens, but there are no bad rooms here, the view over Sp...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Very rewarding to know our hotel means so much to you and your husband. You described what we want our guests to experience perfectly. I'm very proud of our service, product and staff. I posted your comments for all our employees to enjoy. We have received only glowing reviews of the recent renovations of the Arms and agree important that we maintain its character. Grateful we will always a special place in your heart and really appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Happy Valentines Day!