“Very nice hotel, but a bit overpriced”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Lord Nelson during May 2014 for one night. Although the hotel was not filled to capacity it wasn't until after check in time, that I received a phone call that my check in was available. Frustrating after a long day of travel, but not too horrific in the grand scheme of things.

I loved the decor of the entire hotel. The lobby smelled of fresh cut flowers, the hallways were decorated nicely, and my room was very neat and clean. I also appreciated the Aveda personal products, along with the complimentary water bottles.

My biggest frustration was the continental breakfast was $12.95 per person. I found this to be a bit outrageous considering all of the amenities at other hotels that are currently complimentary. Had I known this ahead of time, I probably would have booked a different hotel in the immediate area. I'm very excited to see they're building a Homewood Suites a few blocks away.

Also, housekeeping was knocking on my door at 8am to clean my room. The lady was very nice and extremely professional, but that was a tad bit early for my liking.

Overall, other than the price the hotel was great. I probably won't stay there again due to the overall value, but it was not an unpleasant experience in anyway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your decision to stay with us. Pleased you found our staff friendly and helpful and product clean. I can certainly appreciate your feedback and can assure you our rates are very competitive. We also offer special packages and promotions which are very popular and include continental breakfast with some of our upgraded rooms if preferred in the future. We want our guests to be satisfied with value received so our rates are often lower than our competitors.

I too would not like to be disturbed unexpectedly so early in the morning so my sincere apologies. We have practices in place to avoid disturbing anyone until a bit later in the morning and often encourage our guests to hang their do not disturb sign which our employees are required to respect.

I hope you were able to relax a little, enjoy our central location along with time in our city.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was in Halifax recently for business and stayed at the Lord Nelson. Everything from the outside, to the lobby, staff and rooms exceeded my expectations. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff answered all of my questions, and made me feel welcome. Overall a great experience, i wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks Jillian for recent stay and for sharing such positive feedback. Pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. I am very proud of our historical product, location and efforts of our employees so always rewarding to receive feedback like yours. Hope you enjoyed a pleasant return home and grateful you would come stay with us again when in Halifax.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 3 a.m. But we were met by a very friendly helpful receptionist. We enjoyed a wonderful sleep and the hotel has fantastic charm and atmosphere and is well located We recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to stay at a very comfortable classy hotel in Halifax.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We consistently have guests arrive during our late night hours and understand importance of friendly staff. I'm thinking you must have been pretty tired so confident you enjoyed our pillow top mattress. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive comments. Hope you enjoyed your time in our beautiful city and province and enjoyed a pleasant return home.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Almost 30 years have passed since we first stayed at The Lord Nelson Hotel. Back then it was one of Halifax's fine old hotels. Now it is refined, a gem within Nova Scotia's capital city. We had heard lots of talk about the recent renovations and were looking for an excuse to check them out.

We stayed there on Friday, April 25th, arriving ahead of schedule so we called enroute to request an early check-in. No problem at all; our room was ready. While on the phone we were given directions to the parking garage and instructions on the parking procedure. We received friendly greetings from the two gentlemen manning the front door, and another from the lady handling our check-in. Fast, friendly, and efficient; we were on our way to our room in no time.

Our room was 517, one of the Parkview suites. A wonderfully appointed space with a kingsized bed, separate living room (with gas fireplace), and a small kitchenette between the two rooms. There was plenty of space, enough to bring friends over and still be comfortable. If you were traveling with extended family, there was a connecting room and even an option to rent the three rooms in that area and secure it with your own access door. A great idea. The only detraction was the loud bathroom noise from the floor above as someone showered at 3:08AM. A minor, and short-lived, inconvenience.

There were dishes and cutlery in case you wanted to take advantage of the microwave, mini-fridge, and sink. There were great views on three sides of the suite; public gardens being the best. The attention to detail was great to see. Little things like a corkscrew, two complimentary bottles of water (Halifax water is fine to drink), bathrobes, and slippers.

Some more little details that add to The Lord Nelson's complete package: an iPad at the check-in desk in case you need to check the forecast or your flight time; grab an apple for a snack as you leave (or arrive); and a Globe & Mail in the morning.

We didn't have time (this time) to check out the restaurant or bar, so we'll have to plan a return visit. Soon. It was worth it.

Room Tip: Park side rooms provide a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Wow, so nice of you to come back after 30 years away. Pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. We are very proud of our commitment to our product and development of employees so feedback like your is always very rewarding. My apologies for noisy bathroom fan which would be annoying. We will certainly inspect to make sure working as required. The Arms recently opened in February with fresh new look and menu so confident you will enjoy when you return to stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We arrived at 4:30 pm to check and found that we had been upgraded to a King Suite...the down side was the room wasn't quite ready but we were given a voucher for beverages. Once inside the newly refurbished restaurant, we decided to stay for dinner. The wait staff were very professional and attentive. The food was reasonably priced.
The room was spacious, quiet and nicely appointed. Internet access was free with good reception. Suggestion...more distinct signage as one tries to work their way from the underground parking up to the Lobby. The one sign which says elevator is in a glass frame and not easy to spot. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2NovaScotians

Thank you for your recent visit and taking the time to share your positive feedback. Pleased you were satisfied with product, service and value received. We recently renovated our restaurant in February and receive lots of feedback regarding our fresh new look and exciting new menu so pleased you enjoyed your dining experience. My apologies for the confusion with parkade signage which I can appreciate. We are planning to add some additional signage in the near future in hopes of making access to and from parkade seamless. Hope you will come stay with us again when in Halifax.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed two nights in a small room. The room was compact and functional but not squeezed - although there was a step up to the washroom. I say it is more than adequate for one person who is planning to be out of the room most of the time. The desk was usable, always an important point.
The service at the hotel has rough edges - my sense is this is a matter of training as many of the staff was friendly and nice, but the door service was quite deplorable, no baggage help was offered. Accessibility is also an issue for parking, be prepared for a long walk, possibly with stairs and no system to get bags out and safe before parking. I chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel because I found the price high, but fruit was available in the lobby and a very good coffee shop is found next door.
The location remains a plus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank qcquebec
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for coming back to see us again. I can appreciate your comments since we do offer a variety of different rooms that range is size. My apologies for the average service you received since very disappointing given importance of first impression and door service. The location of our parkade is under ground which you can access through a link from the hotel lobby. We also invite guests to arrive at our front entrance which is an alternate option that might be more convenient. Our new restaurant "the Arms" opened in early February with a fresh new look and exciting new menu. We believe our pricing is competitive with other hotels and similar food quality location however pleased we can offer several nearby options that many of our guests enjoy as well. Hope you will continue to come stay with us when in Halifax and always grateful to receive such helpful feedback.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

It was a very positive experience. The staff were very welcomig, friendly and sencere The rooms and all of the hotel was clean throughout. Very comfortable bed. It is a great location with a lovely park accross the street.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Stratford 25 for sharing such positive comments of your recent experience. We want our guests to feel satisfied and do our upmost to provide combination of clean product, good service and value. Please come stay with us again when in Halifax and bring all your friends.