“charming hotel with comfy beds !”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“charming hotel with comfy beds !”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights just recently. I enjoyed the nice lobby, the cheerfulness of the staff and the quiet rooms with very comfortable beds.
The location is also very convenient, next to a busy shopping street (Spring Garden St) and across from the Botanical gardens, only 10-15 min walk from the waterfront.
The staff is very helpful and happy to answer any questions you may have about the city,...
I recommend this place and would be happy to go back if I come to Halifax again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you Annecie for recent visit and sharing your comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our product, service and satisfied with value received. Hope you will tell all your friends and bring them all with you when you return to Halifax again since grateful you would stay with us. Hope you enjoy a terrific summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I asked for a few additional items to be in our room, as I was travelling with two young children (both under 3) and they quickly arranged all items and had it set up before we arrived. I was pleasantly pleased and will return again without hesitation

• Stayed May 2014
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
I'm pleased you were satisfied the service you received during your most recent visit. It must be challenging on occasion to travel with two young children so grateful to know our team were well prepared and took good care of you and your family. Hope you were able to relax a little and enjoy our central location. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback for others to reference and pleased you would come back to stay with us when in Halifax.
Comox Valley, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

While visiting my Father in Bedford, I decided to have a personal pub and casino night out downtown, so I booked a mid-week room for only $89 at the Lord Nelson Hotel, and at this price I was not expecting much.

Was I surprised? Oh ya! From the moment the two pleasant doormen greeted me, to the lovely front desk gal who whisked me through registration, to the classic décor of the hotel and into my beautifully appointed room...I was amazed and felt a bit guilty I paid so little for so much.

It was easy walking to pubs, restaurants and the Casino and I would recommend to anyone visiting Halifax to check out this hotel, it's a true bargain for such an impressive hotel.

Cheers, Paul

Room Tip: I always ask for a top floor room at the end of the hall and I am never disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Paulshappy
Thank you Paul for recent visit and for taking the time to share such positive comments. I'm pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. I see you took advantage of one of our very special promotional offers. This is often designed to get guests like you in our hotel which provides us the opportunity to showcase our excellent team of service professionals along with our beautiful historical product. Hope you enjoyed this time with your family and please continue to share your wonderful experience with your hundreds of friends.
Sewell, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Lord Nelson during May 2014 for one night. Although the hotel was not filled to capacity it wasn't until after check in time, that I received a phone call that my check in was available. Frustrating after a long day of travel, but not too horrific in the grand scheme of things.

I loved the decor of the entire hotel. The lobby smelled of fresh cut flowers, the hallways were decorated nicely, and my room was very neat and clean. I also appreciated the Aveda personal products, along with the complimentary water bottles.

My biggest frustration was the continental breakfast was $12.95 per person. I found this to be a bit outrageous considering all of the amenities at other hotels that are currently complimentary. Had I known this ahead of time, I probably would have booked a different hotel in the immediate area. I'm very excited to see they're building a Homewood Suites a few blocks away.

Also, housekeeping was knocking on my door at 8am to clean my room. The lady was very nice and extremely professional, but that was a tad bit early for my liking.

Overall, other than the price the hotel was great. I probably won't stay there again due to the overall value, but it was not an unpleasant experience in anyway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your decision to stay with us. Pleased you found our staff friendly and helpful and product clean. I can certainly appreciate your feedback and can assure you our rates are very competitive. We also offer special packages and promotions which are very popular and include continental breakfast with some of our upgraded rooms if preferred in the future. We want our guests to be satisfied with value received so our rates are often lower than our competitors.

I too would not like to be disturbed unexpectedly so early in the morning so my sincere apologies. We have practices in place to avoid disturbing anyone until a bit later in the morning and often encourage our guests to hang their do not disturb sign which our employees are required to respect.

I hope you were able to relax a little, enjoy our central location along with time in our city.
calgary
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was in Halifax recently for business and stayed at the Lord Nelson. Everything from the outside, to the lobby, staff and rooms exceeded my expectations. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff answered all of my questions, and made me feel welcome. Overall a great experience, i wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thanks Jillian for recent stay and for sharing such positive feedback. Pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. I am very proud of our historical product, location and efforts of our employees so always rewarding to receive feedback like yours. Hope you enjoyed a pleasant return home and grateful you would come stay with us again when in Halifax.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 3 a.m. But we were met by a very friendly helpful receptionist. We enjoyed a wonderful sleep and the hotel has fantastic charm and atmosphere and is well located We recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to stay at a very comfortable classy hotel in Halifax.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We consistently have guests arrive during our late night hours and understand importance of friendly staff. I'm thinking you must have been pretty tired so confident you enjoyed our pillow top mattress. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive comments. Hope you enjoyed your time in our beautiful city and province and enjoyed a pleasant return home.
Halifax
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Almost 30 years have passed since we first stayed at The Lord Nelson Hotel. Back then it was one of Halifax's fine old hotels. Now it is refined, a gem within Nova Scotia's capital city. We had heard lots of talk about the recent renovations and were looking for an excuse to check them out.

We stayed there on Friday, April 25th, arriving ahead of schedule so we called enroute to request an early check-in. No problem at all; our room was ready. While on the phone we were given directions to the parking garage and instructions on the parking procedure. We received friendly greetings from the two gentlemen manning the front door, and another from the lady handling our check-in. Fast, friendly, and efficient; we were on our way to our room in no time.

Our room was 517, one of the Parkview suites. A wonderfully appointed space with a kingsized bed, separate living room (with gas fireplace), and a small kitchenette between the two rooms. There was plenty of space, enough to bring friends over and still be comfortable. If you were traveling with extended family, there was a connecting room and even an option to rent the three rooms in that area and secure it with your own access door. A great idea. The only detraction was the loud bathroom noise from the floor above as someone showered at 3:08AM. A minor, and short-lived, inconvenience.

There were dishes and cutlery in case you wanted to take advantage of the microwave, mini-fridge, and sink. There were great views on three sides of the suite; public gardens being the best. The attention to detail was great to see. Little things like a corkscrew, two complimentary bottles of water (Halifax water is fine to drink), bathrobes, and slippers.

Some more little details that add to The Lord Nelson's complete package: an iPad at the check-in desk in case you need to check the forecast or your flight time; grab an apple for a snack as you leave (or arrive); and a Globe & Mail in the morning.

We didn't have time (this time) to check out the restaurant or bar, so we'll have to plan a return visit. Soon. It was worth it.

Room Tip: Park side rooms provide a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Wow, so nice of you to come back after 30 years away. Pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. We are very proud of our commitment to our product and development of employees so feedback like your is always very rewarding. My apologies for noisy bathroom fan which would be annoying. We will certainly inspect to make sure working as required. The Arms recently opened in February with fresh new look and menu so confident you will enjoy when you return to stay with us again.